Brickin it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickin it

I've got my first real DJ gig and I'm bricking it!! Well when I say gig, I'm playing in a pub alongside people who have probably got a clue about what they're doing. Guys help me, am I out of my depth???

To make matters worse I'm down as playing Rare Funk!! And to make matters even worse I'm down as Mr Krijbolder, my girlfriends surname. What should I do?

FILTHY MACNASTYS
    68 AMWELL STREET
    LONDON EC1
    0207 837 6067

Friday 3rd October
    Acoustic Session with
    The Vipers
    2 sets 7.00 and 9.00
    admission Free
    djs for the evening Andy Lewis (Acid Jazz), Paul Hallam (not Acid Jazz), Danny Decourtelle (Smersh Bar), Mr Krijbolder (Rare Funk

Thats so close to our new office that I could throw wet sponges at ya

Count me down on being there!

Oh and as for djing tips -

Arrange your records in some sort of bpm order - I know you sticker your good tracks so it should be easier.

Put the slower ones at the front and the bangers at the back.

Play it funky - not crazy jazz/funk or anything. Basically tone it down for the general public. I know you've got a sick selection so don't fret.

Always make sure there are no big gaps between tracks - as its funk then mixing is generally nice fades between songs. It's still easy to mess this up so listen to everything you want to play so you know if its a sudden stop or a slow fade in the track.

Oh and DONT drink loads of You'll only take the off the record thats playing - or something.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

read Bill&#39;s book about how to DJ properly bloody quick&#33;

and don&#39;t play weird Euro jazz records that only you like just because they&#39;re worth a packet. be honest&#33;

most of all have fun and enjoy it - and try to make sure the punters enjoy it so you get asked (and maybe paid, good God&#33 to do it again&#33;
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 24 2003,17:41)]read Bill&#39;s book about how to DJ properly bloody quick&#33;

and don&#39;t play weird Euro jazz records that only you like just because they&#39;re worth a packet. be honest&#33;

most of all have fun and enjoy it - and try to make sure the punters enjoy it so you get asked (and maybe paid, good God&#33 to do it again&#33;

Ed, this better not be a slur on my Brillo sets

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Sep. 24 2003,17:45)]Ed, this better not be a slur on my Brillo sets  
          Brillo is for *our* entertainment. DJ gigs are for *their* entertainment.

Look at the graphic on Bill&#39;s djhistory.com site for all the info you need

Comment

Oh God, you mean there might be people there that aren&#39;t anoraks like us&#33; I wasn&#39;t banking on that when I agreed to play.
            Anyone know the other Dj&#39;s? Are the proper, bonafide turntabilists??

Comment

I bet those guys play decent stuff. Who knows? I doubt they are wicki-wicki tastic.

Anyway who cares who they are&#33; Ive played with other djs and always tell them to get their stinking hands off my records.

&#39;can I look through your bag mate?&#39;

NO&#33; naff off&#33;
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 24 2003,17:41)]read Bill&#39;s book about how to DJ properly
                I&#39;ll second that - very entertaining. Nothing more to say (or that I&#39;m qualified to say ) other than enjoy, good luck and Mr. Krijbolder is a great DJ tag (sounds very Jazzanova)...
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 24 2003,17:54)]&#39;can I look through your bag mate?&#39;

NO&#33; naff off&#33;
                  Please?  Serms???
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

it would be good to get some feedback from a proper DJ or two - Greg? Bill?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Sep. 24 2003,17:54)]and Mr. Krijbolder is a great DJ tag (sounds very Jazzanova)...
                      Rich, don&#39;t say this. I&#39;m already under enough pressure as it is having been to about three weddings in the last few weeks. &quot;So when are you two going to get married then?&quot;

Comment

At the last &#39;Program&#39; I tripped over my record box and fell behind the decks. So llmod1 your DJ gig will be better than mine.
                        records - one a week mixcloud
                        records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]djs for the evening Andy Lewis (Acid Jazz), Paul Hallam (not Acid Jazz), Danny Decourtelle (Smersh Bar), Mr Krijbolder (Rare Funk

I&#39;ve witnessed Andy Lewis &amp; Paul Hallam DJing many times - Andy is a bit more leftfield mixing in newer tracks - Paul spins classic &amp; rare moddy flavoured stuff - mainly boogaloo-tinged soul/R&amp;B of late. Lots of nice blue-eyed gear too. Never heard of the other guy. Best of luck to ya&#33;
                          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

And if you do want to play out weird Euro Jazz records that only you like then send us a mail and we&#39;ll have you at &#39;The Program&#39;  
                            records - one a week mixcloud
                            records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Just remember &quot;At the end of the day, it&#39;s all about the tunes&quot;
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X