No announcement yet.

Brickin it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say play what you like, but in the context of records you know make people dance. Bring records you've seen work for other people, that you've seen people dance to previously. Don't worry about it, it's only playing some records.

Steer clear of free jazz, though. Even if it's Polish.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I slightly disagree with playing what you like. Obviously your playing with other funky/soul/boogaloo dj's so you gotta hit somewhere in that genre. If you make to too un-userfriendly then they might tell you to stop playing or not ask you back. So I say play it safe. Specially when its your first proper gig?

Oh and take your own headphones.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 25 2003,00:03)]I slightly disagree with playing what you like. Obviously your playing with other funky/soul/boogaloo dj&#39;s so you gotta hit somewhere in that genre. If you make to too un-userfriendly then they might tell you to stop playing or not ask you back. So I say play it safe. Specially when its your first proper gig?

Oh and take your own headphones.
        And 45 adapters&#33;

(If you&#39;re gonna need &#39;em).

Comment

Just to clarify, when I say it&#39;s my first gig, I&#39;m not actually being paid. Paul Hallam is a friend of my girlfriend and he asked her if I&#39;d like to play, I think it&#39;s his birthday.

Comment

For my first few gigs that I did, (blimey, 17 years ago ) , I&#39;m not ashamed to admit that I worked a bulk of my set out at home, wrote it down and used it as reference on the night. Yep, I took that piece of paper with me, put it next to the decks and used it as a guide.

Of course, that may not work in it&#39;s entirety on the night but you have the advantage of a couple of things. (1) You have a mighty record collection, from what I&#39;ve seen. (2) You know your way around it. And I&#39;m pretty sure you know what constitutes making a dancefloor move, as a punter at any rate. So selecting the tunes from your collection to take with you is the first hurdle. And yes, it has to be danceable - don&#39;t try and be too &#39;clever&#39;. Get in, get out and leave an impression&#33;&#33;

When you&#39;re DJ&#39;ing, you don&#39;t have the luxury of your whole collection at your finger tips - so preparation in the home is key, so that the 100 records you take with you to the gig are the ones you&#39;re most comfortable with. Hence work out a rough order - tunes that sound good next to each other, have similar tempos, feels and such like.

Of course DJing is all about feeling the situation, but if you&#39;re scared shitless, all your feeling goes out the window. The preparation will give you the knowledge of your box, and the confidence to get in front of a crowd.

The other DJ&#39;s you&#39;re playing with have been playing for years, so don&#39;t be afraid to ask them for technical help. I used to DJ with Danny - he&#39;ll be playing boogaloo &amp; northerny bits. A very approachable guy who would rather DJ with you rather than against you, if you get my meaning.

If I can make the trek to support, then I&#39;ll be there.

Oh and leave the elbow scratch for the Brillo select, yeah?&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Sep. 25 2003,07:43)]Just to clarify, when I say it&#39;s my first gig, I&#39;m not actually being paid. Paul Hallam is a friend of my girlfriend and he asked her if I&#39;d like to play, I think it&#39;s his birthday.
              In that case you NEED Joe Bataan singing &quot;Happy Birthday&quot; in a Boogaloo stylee on Laso&#39;s ST LP eh Sie &#33;?&#33;?

I agree with a lot of the advice given so far. I would add that the most common mistake i made when i first played out was getting EQ and levels right.

As i have always played from a completely mixed bag of genres and formats i soon realised that this is very important. A poorly pressed LP track that may be a banging tune that would build from the previous 45 will often need a large hike in the volume and a vicious tweek of the EQ or it will be completely washed away in the fade/mix. I know that you can monitor quite well with a half decent mixer/headphone setup but don&#39;t rely on this and be ready to do some quick tweaks when the next tune drops.

This comes with experience at the end of the day, but the key i&#39;ve found is to know your records well and to make a mental note of how it sounds on your home system. It kind of becomes intuitive after a while, as does the natural progression of the tunes you play from your bag and which ones you leave in there unplayed (even if you thought they would be the highlight of your set). i.e. I&#39;ve often played tunes that i had intended to start sets with as the last and vice versa. Its all about reading the audience.

Oh and one last tip - Listen very carefully to the other DJ&#39;s and what they play. You then have a bench mark, can avoid playing something an hour later that has already been played. But you can also often complement their sets by playing a different version or whatever,

Enjoy yourself &#33;
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ Sep. 25 2003,08:47)]I would add that the most common mistake i made when i first played out was getting EQ and levels right.
                i&#39;ll second that (as Dean and Chris will attest&#33... also don&#39;t whack all the levels up to max to try to compensate for a really quiet track... don&#39;t take the needle off a record that&#39;s still playing (surprisingly easy especially when drunk)... don&#39;t cue a record if the crossfader is still &#39;on&#39; that deck... and take a few guaranteed floorfillers that people will recognise, either good covers of well-known tunes, or a not quite so well known number by a recognisable artist

talking of which, anyone got any good recommendations for less well-known guaranteed floorfillers by major artists that might have been overlooked by many of us?

stevie wonder - i wish
                http://www.blaxploitation.com
                Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (theeman @ Sep. 25 2003,09:03)]talking of which, anyone got any good recommendations for less well-known guaranteed floorfillers by major artists that might have been overlooked by many of us?
                  James Brown - People get up and drive your funk soul pitched to + 3.

Criminally underplayed, and valuable when you need that lavvy break - 8 minutes long&#33;&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Sep. 24 2003,17:51)]Oh God, you mean there might be people there that aren&#39;t anoraks like us&#33; I wasn&#39;t banking on that when I agreed to play.
                    Anyone know the other Dj&#39;s? Are the proper, bonafide turntabilists??
                    Mark, I know them (or know of them - mates of mates and all that)

They&#39;re all old school mods DJing &quot;soul style&quot; - mostly play the record - fade in another near the end - its the records that count - (unless they&#39;ve dramatically changed recently)

As I&#39;ve said - I remember Hallam from 85/86 days&#33; Andy Lewis DJs at Blow Up and I know is into some of the newer stuff and a bit of mixing and Dan&#39;s an old (my age) Mod as well - so expect lots of 60s soul/RnB/ hammond jazz type grooves.

Stuff like Memphis Black will hit the stop I reckon - go for it&#33;

I might even see you there mate...

Comment

One thing I do see happen a lot is bringing records into the mix (or just on fades) and the gain is not set right. This carries on from checking the eq&#39;s like towny was saying above. When you are monitoring the record to get it to the start of the track - just needle drop it quickly and check the level on that channel. Basically it should be never go over the red peak - try and get it in the orange and if it hits red every now and again thats cool.

Obviously if the other channel is at a lower peak then aim to match that rather then going for max.

So when you&#39;ve got the right peak then turn the channel of record about to be played down by a few notches (obviously remembering where it was). So when your fading it in and you&#39;ve got the faders on max - the new record won&#39;t crash into the mix and then when its off and going you can turn the gain back to where it was.

Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Sep. 24 2003,17:59)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Sep. 24 2003,17:54)]and Mr. Krijbolder is a great DJ tag (sounds very Jazzanova)...
                        Rich, don&#39;t say this. I&#39;m already under enough pressure as it is having been to about three weddings in the last few weeks. &quot;So when are you two going to get married then?&quot;
                        LOL&#33; Alright then, it&#39;s a crap nom de jockey. From Si&#39;s description of the other DJs El Mod maybe better...
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

just play what you feel
                          I have been spinnin for 15 years (oh s**t i&#39;m showing my age)
                          there is no right or wrong way of playing its all about reading the crowd if they aint diggin it try a different sound
                          take some classics as back up&#33;&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]In that case you NEED Joe Bataan singing &quot;Happy Birthday&quot; in a Boogaloo stylee on Laso&#39;s ST LP eh Sie &#33;?&#33;?
                            Was it Bataan - or was it Barretto ? - I can&#39;t remember and it&#39;s my blummin&#39; record &#33;

I was gonna take the &quot;Happy Birthday&quot; record up to the last Tanners gig coz it was one of the DJ&#39;s birthday - and I blummin&#39; forgot it &#33;

double  

The one comment I&#39;ll echo (apart from &quot;enjoy yourself&quot;) is lay off the demon    Don&#39;t get drawn into a boozing contest with  

...leave    to me...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Watch out sie&#33; Im arranging a &#39;lost&#39; weekender with a mate who lives in cleethorpes. So a &#39;shit&#39; night out in darlington is on the cards

Comment

Looking forward to it. Me and the boy Towny are always up for extending a tip-top northern welcome to any Vultures willing to brave the cold...

If you&#39;re in the neighbourhood - it&#39;s &quot;all back to mine&quot;

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Working...
                                X