No announcement yet.

Brickin it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm not even remotely techinically decent as a dj, but it all depends on the people attending the night as to whether it's going to be a successful one for me. i tend to play one record into the other in a very old-skool way, but this rarely seems to bother anyone.

i wouldn't worry too much about eq and levels if it's your first time out there. that all comes with instinct after a while, i reckon.

the best nights i've played have been pretty chaotic, technically (usually me, bob stanley and pete wiggs at the heavenly social attempting a "tag-team&quot but where the people have really enjoyed the records.

last week i played at the in the city festival in manchester, playing a mixture of uptempo easy stuff and library funk. the crowd there really enjoyed themselves, even though my so-called mixing was pretty ropey.

the worst time by far was when i was booked to play at cargo - i think all the po-faced punters wanted some kind of electroclash business and i just went on and played my usual stuff. i had sneers and snarls and people staring at me over the decks. cleared the floor completely. it didn't bother me though - it's only playing a few records!

all the proper dj's on here will offer the best advice, but i'll just chip in and say play what you feel like playing, try to enjoy it and if it doesn't work, there's always next time.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (wooly @ Sep. 25 2003,14:33)]last week i played at the in the city festival in manchester, playing a mixture of uptempo easy stuff and library funk. the crowd there really enjoyed themselves, even though my so-called mixing was pretty ropey.
      you did a bit of that festival? nice one. my brother was there and said it was excellent.
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Mark, just enjoy it. All the advice so far has been relevant, practical and on point as far as cautionary standards for dj'ing. I have played a fair few gigs now and there have been wicked moments, those parties where you just cant put a foot wrong and they are eating out of your hands! It's then that you CAN drop that tune YOU REALLY wanna play, hear it banging out of the speakers, full throttle and watch the people loose it!
        And then again, there have been the other times when everything just went insanely wrong! I've played the first three records all at the wrong speed, become ensnared by the headphones cable, tripping me up only to untie myself and watch somebody knock my record bag off the speakers into a huge rotating fan! All in the space of minutes! This was in a very cool club, party people fired up and really ready to move but being Londoner's, remained really moody till I played THAT magic tune. Anyway, as I remember, I cleared my head, went for broke and just smashed out classic after classic. It worked. They loved it, my mates loved it and I loved it.

ESSENTIAL tips [ALL of which have been offered previously!]:

Sort your plays out in tempo order [   is right here] and play accordingly, watching the floor for signs of life! This might take a while in a London club, especially with any significant trendy credentials.

Then jam into your box a CLEARLY visible section for CLASSICS. ie. the tunes which would work ANY dancefloor: James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Barry White etc...and have them ready for those moments when the dancefloor activity drops off.

Have a pretty good idea of what you will play and the ends/beginnings of each track to make for smoother joins in the set.

EQ'ing and other sound level stuff is great but only if you know what you are doing. Again, mentioned visible markers such as meter levels, this is easier to check.

Refuse the offers of these buggers if you DONT want to decide to stop the furious funk 45's which might be firing up the floor and instead decide to educate the nice people to the finer sounds of experimental Euro Jazz and Prog. THEY WILL NOT BE IMPRESSED AND THEY WILL KILL YOU.

Relax. Relax. Relax and get into your own set. This can make a bloody big difference. It doesnt work, standing there, eyes down, gritting your teeth and praying for the next guy to come on. Interact with the crowd, accept the many suggestions from the more drunk with a smile but without compromise!

Bring your own 'phones, 45 adaptors and even stylus if you wanna make real sure to be ready for anything. Needles can and have just gave up before.

And most importantly, GET THE LADIES MOVING!!! MEN WILL MAKE CERTAIN EFFORT ONLY IF THEIR SEXUAL COUNTERPARTS DO IT FIRST. PLAY OUT TUNES THAT HAVE A GIRLY CHARM AND YOU WILL HAVE SUCCESS.

An early hit for me is the Intimate Strangers or something sexy, Philadelphia type stuff like Barry White cos the girls love this and you really need to please them if you want the rest of the crowd on that floor.

Finally and most importantly, have fun man, it's a party and it's always an education!

I was raised by wolves

Comment

andy makes some good points. generally stuff that's always worked well for me is female vocal stuff - women seem to love it, and men respond well to it too.

instrumentals can work but there's nothing like a raw soul sister either making love to the mike or ripping its head off. either way you're on to a winner. female vocals also stand a decent chance of cutting through an otherwise-muddy sound system too.

and also have a quick flick through old DJ playlists for records that you own. check out radio show listings, magazine lists, compilation CDs from name players. it'll help you find those 'black gold of the sun' type tracks that otherwise you might forget about.

so far you've had enough advice to keep you occupied for about two months' worth of preparation, so here's my top tip:

get pissed, fuck what everyone else says and do what the hell you like.
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Interesting points guys.

One thing is to check the weights on the decks. Every time I turn up somewhere - some wicki-wicki-wah-wah tastic turntablist has rammed them on full weight. That'll carve your records to pieces to take time out to adjust the weight, balance the tonearm and adjust the anti-skate. All very important.

Deffo interact with the crowd - Im not talking Fatboy Slim stylee god-worshipping but atleast LOOK up at people and not have your head buried in the decks.

If people want to talk to you - basically be a bit rude to them as there is nothing worse then chatting but a nice piece of punti and screwing up the next mix cos of it

Ok this gig is for fun but for proper dj's getting paid proper money then (for me atleast) there is nothing worse if they go off on their own devices and don't entertain people. Basically it costs you a tenner to get in the damn club, tenner cab home and about 30 quid on bottles of overpriced lukewarm lager! So if the stinking dj doesn't entertain me then there will be hell to pay!

Classic case was when a few of us here went to see DJ Spinbad - he's the 80's mixing scratch party rocker. Did he rock out the classics? Nah the guy turned up and played a load of shaun paul records. If it wasn't for the batting grinding that night...well I would have kicked off!
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Well I&#39;ve heard you DJ at the Brillo meets competently enough, so you know your way around the decks and mixer. Here&#39;s my advice, which is probably been mentioned already:

Always take the time to get the DJ before you to show you all the switches, for cueing etc - since each mixer varies in design, it can be really annoying, fucking up your first track cos you used the wrong fader or something and everyone will think you&#39;re an idiot.

Depending on space, zone and group your records best you can, whether that&#39;s by speed or style or vocal. Before I start, I always make sure my tunes are grouped this way, so I can find them quickly - essential when I change my mind about a tune on average five times about 30 seconds before the next tune&#39;s up. I usually do this at home before hand. If you don&#39;t have much space, keep some tunes in the box and some in front of the box as an easy way to group them - I still do this.

Stick to the records you know inside out. You&#39;re gonna be really, really nervous. You&#39;ll notice the tone arm shake like crazy when you move it over to the record - the only things you&#39;re gonna be sure of that night are your records. You&#39;ll know which ones are quieter and need a bit of a boost and you&#39;ll know when to change tracks if you wanna switch before the tune actually ends.

Take along a few old faves. Interesting covers of well known tunes always go down well, as long as they&#39;re dancable, or head noddable. Take a few long tracks in case you find yourself desperate for a pee and can&#39;t see any friends to play the next track for you.

Ask someone you have faith in to come over and tell you whenever the sound is nasty or too loud or too quiet, often it&#39;s really hard to tell how loud it is from where you&#39;re spinning.

Tempos usually go up as the night goes on. Though there&#39;s no rule book saying you should do this, it becomes kind of expected by the crowd, so it&#39;s wise to keep a few stormers in reserve, in case you &#39;blow your stack&#39; early on in your set.

Lastly and most importantly, always watch the crowd. You&#39;ll quickly pick up on what is going down well. Watch the body language - see if they&#39;re quite animated, or swaying to the music etc. It may not all apply to what you&#39;re doing, but assume it does.
              http://wakeupanddie.com
              http://weirdgearnyc.com
              http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 25 2003,13:52)]Watch out sie&#33; Im arranging a &#39;lost&#39; weekender with a mate who lives in cleethorpes. So a &#39;shit&#39; night out in darlington is on the cards
                Serm, do you realise how far apart Meggies and Darlington are?
                http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Guys, thanks for all the moral support and advice, much appreciated. Does anyone know this venue? Does it have a dance floor or is it just a bar where people go to listen to music?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Sep. 25 2003,22:46)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (sermad @ Sep. 25 2003,13:52)]Watch out sie&#33; Im arranging a &#39;lost&#39; weekender with a mate who lives in cleethorpes. So a &#39;shit&#39; night out in darlington is on the cards
                    Serm, do you realise how far apart Meggies and Darlington are?
                    bout 120 miles according to my map&#33;
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Mix it up &amp; go by the reaction on the dancefloor. Don&#39;t be afraid to play some classics next to rare gear, it always works. Stuff like Mr. Big Stuff / Give it up or turn it loose &amp; so on. They are the type of funk records to slip in between your harder stuff. Happy latin soul has always worked well for me on a typically varied crowd.
                      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

How&#39;s the guy above who djing in Preston.
                        i live there but don&#39;t go out any more, let us know as i dj&#39;ed around town for over 10 years but recently vowed never to play out due to lack of venues &amp; poor attendances at any night i put on&#33;

Comment

Re the

I&#39;d say drink as much as you would if you&#39;re out for a social game of pool but still want to stand a chance of beating your mate...

Pretty big response to this eh? Lot of stuff I could&#39;ve stood to have known a couple of years back...

Comment

Personally I get well pissed each &amp; every time i dj... my booking&#39;s are slim so learn from that......
                            Another good tip is to go &amp; dance yourself, I often do this but would warn against it on 45&#39;s&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (formigo @ Sep. 26 2003,00:49)]Re the      

I&#39;d say drink as much as you would if you&#39;re out for a social game of pool but still want to stand a chance of beating your mate...

Pretty big response to this eh? Lot of stuff I could&#39;ve stood to have known a couple of years back...
                              Hmmm, I only win when I&#39;m pissed and then only in a very narrow window between &#39;able to hold a conversation&#39; and &#39;able to slobber&#39;...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Hey Mark, your gig is the night after HF&amp;S, so I hope I&#39;m not too hungover and go absent... I&#39;ve forgotten exactly where Filthy&#39;s is.
                                http://wakeupanddie.com
                                http://weirdgearnyc.com
                                http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Working...
                                X