Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folklore with a beat!

Hi again.
    I recently picked up a record titled FOLKLORE WITH A BEAT.
    I can't remember what label its on but its credited to JIMMY SULLIVAN Could this be the work of a young Big Jim? I couldn't find any info on this record.
    Can anyone help woith info?

Regards,
    David
    God bless Fatso.

I realize the original post is over a year old but I figured I could help future collectors who come across this record.

Anyway, I am 100% certain that this record does indeed feature Big Jim Sullivan. It was a follow-up to a record called "Classics With A Beat", which was recorded in Germany in 1964 but apparently not released until 1967. The "Classics" LP features Sullivan, Jimmy Page, Bobby Graham, and Charles Blackwell.....while the "Folklore" LP features Sullivan, Blackwell and possibly Page.

For years I've been trying to confirm if the "Folklore" LP was ever released in Germany -- with no success.

Hope this helps!

Comment

folklore with a beat

Interesting to read the info on this LP, and Classics with a Beat.
      Does anyone have the lowdown on the musicians involved in the Trax Four album "Wingding Party" - Decca Ace of Clubs ACL 1216, from 1966 ?
      Could all (or some) of the same guys be involved? I really hope one of you out there can help ....!!
      rocco*****

Comment

So Classics With A beat is Jimmy Page/Big Jim? How do you know? If you don't mind me asking...
        Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I have folklore & beat Vol II - Selected Sound

This LP specifies Okko Bekker and some other german musicions. I don't know if these records are related?
          My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
            So Classics With A beat is Jimmy Page/Big Jim? How do you know? If you don't mind me asking...
            Charles Blackwell was interviewed in Record Collector some years back, and he talked about the LP, saying that both Big Jim and Little Jim were involved, and that the German classical musicians who were booked though it was going to be a straight classical album until they started playing!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
              Charles Blackwell was interviewed in Record Collector some years back, and he talked about the LP, saying that both Big Jim and Little Jim were involved, and that the German classical musicians who were booked though it was going to be a straight classical album until they started playing!
              Also, someone recently offered the "Folklore With A Beat" LP on eBay, and the seller said something to the effect of "I asked Big Jim about this and he thinks it features both himself and Page".

Comment

Originally posted by Hogeboom
                Also, someone recently offered the "Folklore With A Beat" LP on eBay, and the seller said something to the effect of "I asked Big Jim about this and he thinks it features both himself and Page".
                Did anyone bid on it? What did it go for?

David S.
                God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by soundsville
                  Did anyone bid on it? What did it go for?
                  I think it went for around $15. I know I paid $10 for my copy 2 years ago. I bought "Classics With A Beat" for $4 but I've also seen it sell for $25.

Comment

Originally posted by rocco
                    Interesting to read the info on this LP, and Classics with a Beat.
                    Does anyone have the lowdown on the musicians involved in the Trax Four album "Wingding Party" - Decca Ace of Clubs ACL 1216, from 1966 ?
                    Tell us the tracklist for the LP, along with whatever producer/arranger/director credits are listed. That should give you a clue as to who was involved.

Comment

oh man, been after info on Trax 4 for ages - there's a great version of Comin' Home Baby on the Karminsky compiled 'Dig It' Decca Phase 4 CD, but have never seen the album. sounds like it might not even have been a Phase 4 title - maybe straight to a budget Ace of Clubs issue...?

Comment

Not everything on Dig It was a Phase 4 track, though they were all Decca or its subsidiaries - the Ace Of Clubs version of the Trax 4 LP is the only one I know about. Never seen one, mind you......

Going off on a slight tangent here, I always find it slightly amusing when people try to sell the Chris Waxman LP at inflated prices on the strength of Mas Que Nada from 'Dig It' - it's flippin' Klaus Wunderlich under a pseudonym, and you can get the same LP credited to Klaus on Telefunken for pence!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                          Going off on a slight tangent here, I always find it slightly amusing when people try to sell the Chris Waxman LP at inflated prices on the strength of Mas Que Nada from 'Dig It' - it's flippin' Klaus Wunderlich under a pseudonym, and you can get the same LP credited to Klaus on Telefunken for pence!
                          What is this 'Dig It' of which you speak - this one would appear to have passed me by?
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

came out after the Inflight Entertainment comps and while some EMI and Decca stuff was coming out on CD, but it disappeared pretty quickly, and went out of print.

i picked mine up by chance in a sale for 4 quid. some nice stuff on it. couldn't find a tracklisting on line but here's the sleeve:
                            http://www.psychedelicado.com/blog/s...=432&reviewed=

Comment

Working...
                            X