Fookin' nine pins man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fookin' nine pins man!

And now we've lost Robert Palmer! Gutted.

I always liked him, OK, he's kind of forever associated with the dreaded 80s but I thought he was a canny fella and he had a great voice.

And he shared my penchant for dark-haired lasses with big chebs.

Rest In Peace mate.

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Celestial choir? Now there's an image... Palmer in his suit, Johnny Cash, Edwin Starr, Warren Zevon & Barry White squeezed into the black lycra frocks...

Hmmm...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I read in a obituary on Saturday that his first couple of solo lps feature contributions from the Meters and Motown bass legend James Jamerson.

Anyone know if there's anything good on these two?
      Endless Tripe

Comment

I'm sorry about this, but i can't forgive Mr Palmer for his routine butchering of Marvins 'the ecology,(mercy mercy me)' fuckin' awfull. And he's gotta be Mr eighties incarnate!, 'addicted to love' indeed!. sorry, i'm feelin' all argumentative today.
        derelicts of dialect

Comment

Robert Palmer made plenty of good records in his time. The one with James Jamerson et al on it is called Pressure Drop, but there are other early LPs, like Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley (title track is brilliant Noo Orleans-style soul) and Some People Can Do What They Like that have great musicians on them, too.

And, really, get over the 80s thing. I'm old enough to remember everyone decrying how crap the 70s were and now they're falling over themselves to collect records from the period. This was the decade that gave us hip hop (in any meaningful form), house, techno and electro... and it was crap??

Plus, Lookin' For Clues by Robert Palmer is one of the great 80s pop albums.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I must have heard all the bad records then, i shall try to investigate your reccomendations, i thank you for that. I've allways said that i'm quite chuffed to be proved wrong on stuff, so no offence intended, i'm a bit 'upfront' sometimes but i like to be honest. I agree on the 'eighties' thing, yeah, plenty good tunage of all varieties, But there was some real bad stuff there. when i remember that decade, I just keep thinking of the fookin' tories/Thatcher. Bleak times.
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Working...
            X