Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Des champ

Hello all.

I had a cracking couple of days deep in the crates this week, and one of the real sparklers I found is an 1973 LP on DJM Silverline actually titled *deep intake of breath*...

'Stereo Sounds Of.. The Mike Batt, Larry Page, Des Champ, Zack Laurence and Alan Moorhouse Orchestras'.

Really, that's how it's listed along almost the entire length of the spine. Try searching for that bad boy on Google. Anyhow, there are some sleevenotes on the back cover detailing a few lines about each orchestra, and so here's the skinny on Des:

"Co-producer and M.D. of the world famous VANITY FARE [the 60s/70s popular beat combo], Des is one of the most successful men in music today. Apart from "feeling" the pop groups [ooer.. ] these two tracks will give you an insight into his musicianship. Another T.V. theme, this time IT TAKES A THIEF and the pop classic REACH OUT (I'LL BE THERE) moulded by Des for his orchestra and your pleasure."

'It Takes A Thief' is from a late 60's US TV drama series of the same name and scored by Dave Grusin. The Des Champ Orchestra version also appeared on a 45 on the Page One label. Incidentally there's also a version of the track by John Schroder on the 'TV Vibrations' LP under the title 'Name Of The Game', which I'm assuming is perhaps the title of the score, rather than the film.

Anyway, the version here is fantastic, excellent funky lounge feel with insanely heavy funky drumming (sounds like Alf Bigden), this guy really knows how to knock out a drumfill! Also some marvellous scat vocals in there, but no hammond or electric piano. 'Reach Out I'll Be There' is a cracking version in lounging funky hammond style, but to my ears certainly not the work of The Hawk, as there's no flashy jazziness to the playing at all, just the basics of the tune. Great version though.

I know that this was only mooted in the charts as a possible idea (and certainly a very plausible one given knowledge of other alter-egos) but I thought this fresh info should be brought to light.
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Oh yeah, and additional credits to D.Grusin on 'It Takes A Thief' are D.Berger and Z.Laurence - I'll hazard a guess that our Des Champ's real surname is Berger then!
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 27 2003,21:41)]'It Takes A Thief' is from a late 60's US TV drama series of the same name and scored by Dave Grusin. The Des Champ Orchestra version also appeared on a 45 on the Page One label. Incidentally there's also a version of the track by John Schroder on the 'TV Vibrations' LP under the title 'Name Of The Game', which I'm assuming is perhaps the title of the score, rather than the film.
      not strictly true. 'name of the game' was indeed the original name of the series, airing on NBC between 68-71. the theme was pretty successful and was even released on 45 under Grusin's name. incidentally the original pilot show theme was written by the sadly missed Benny Carter. Grusin did the score for the series itself.

if anyone has trades of either 45s or LPs, drop me a line, ta!

http://www.classicthemes.com/50sTVTh...OfTheGame.html
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (vibra @ Sep. 27 2003,21:41)]Incidentally there's also a version of the track by John Schroder on the 'TV Vibrations' LP under the title 'Name Of The Game', which I'm assuming is perhaps the title of the score, rather than the film.
        Actually, while many of the 'TV Vibrations' Lps do have 'The Name Of The Game' listed on the LP sleeve/label, later pressings of the LP have 'It Takes A Thief' printed on a small sticker over the top of the original tracklisting.

How's that for incidental detail
        Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
        X