• soundsville
    replied
    Is "Blossom Time" worth buying?

Cheers,
    David

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    i like 'I'm Shadowing You' on 'Blossom Dearie Sings', which was the first album on her own Daffodil label ('73)

anyone who writes a song called 'I Like You, You're Nice' has got to be worth a listen

Leave a comment:

• JOHN IDEM
    replied
    if ya had "i like london in the rain" like myself
    you would not want to part with it
    sure tis FUNKY
    her best by far

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Sep. 29 2003,04:33)]There's some info here: http://www.allmusic.com/cg....qztbtc4

Mostly, she's in the Peggy Lee/Julie London kind of ballpark, & brilliant (and a bit quirky) within that, but most people are after her few funkier tracks ( 'I Like London In The Rain' ) which don't turn up that often on her records... That said, if you like jazz & that sort of 50s/early 60s 'sophisticated & swinging' sound you get with Nancy Wilson, Frank Sinatra, June Christy etc she's very enjoyable & pretty distinctive.

As Ben says, probably a bit of an acquired taste overall, though...
    She is an aquired taste, thats for sure. I guess I am far too much of a funk snob. The onylreason I even picked it up actually was talk I had heard on this site.

Well I'll chalk this up in the "pleasant surprise" catagory.

In case anyone was wondering this has a $3.99 sticker on it from Aron's records. WOOHOO!! I LOVE LA!

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    There's some info here: http://www.allmusic.com/cg....qztbtc4

Mostly, she's in the Peggy Lee/Julie London kind of ballpark, & brilliant (and a bit quirky) within that, but most people are after her few funkier tracks ( 'I Like London In The Rain' ) which don't turn up that often on her records... That said, if you like jazz & that sort of 50s/early 60s 'sophisticated & swinging' sound you get with Nancy Wilson, Frank Sinatra, June Christy etc she's very enjoyable & pretty distinctive.

As Ben says, probably a bit of an acquired taste overall, though...

Leave a comment:

• Benicio Del Toffo
    replied
    Mate,

That's one of the best finds I've heard in a while. Well, since Lee found her other biggie in a charity shop last week!

I had that LP a couple of years ago and sold it on the 'Bay to a Japanese guy for £145 ($240). The funny thing was that I'd seen it at the same record fair, in the same guy's box for well over a year and no-one had touched it. I'd kept leaving it cos the guy had it at a big £10 and, like you, I didn't know how rare it was. When he finally dropped it to £5 I thought I may as well take it. Lucky I did eh?

If I was you, I'd just wait a few weeks until the other one has sold and then eBay it yourself. Or, approach one of the runners-up on this particular auction and offer them your copy for their highest bid.

It's a good LP really, but Blossom is an acquired taste. If you listen to the version of 'Dindi' you'll understand why it's sought after. The Japs can't get enough of that track.

Benicio

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Blossom dearie lp's

Blossom dearie lp's

I got a Blossom Dearie LP this weekend I didnt care for all that much. Out of curiousity I checked Ebay for it and was amazed to this http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws....rvi:1:2

Is it really that rare? What are the good albums she did? I only know about the one on the Dafodil label.

thanks in advance

PS anyone interested in a trade?
Working...
X