2017 August Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 August Finds

Just posted this in July finds, but it isn't July! and I've never started a finds thread in my life!

Click image for larger version

Name:	recs 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1037297

Jazz/folk/Christian stuff from a Norwegian priest I knew who died recently.

Name:	rec1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1037298
    Indian box, Latvian boxed double lp of works by the Kazakh composer Mukan Tulebaev, two revolutionary chinese 10"s, Uzbek folk and a Japanese issue of the Krog/Shepp.

Haven't heard any of it yet. Going back on Sunday for more classical

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Some of those covers look very promising. Something there for you, I hope.

Comment

The Frits Kaate LP is fantastic!!

Comment

Those Norwegian LPs look great, That's Why is a nice find...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          Those Norwegian LPs look great, That's Why is a nice find...
          It is. I've just been playing it.
          I suspect the guy who owned the records was very into the scene - some of the records are signed by all members, with warm dedications .
          That's Why is terrific, just gorgeous stuff.

Kristin Solli is lovely - mournful folk with an interesting combo.. Record is perfect apart from an annoying gouge on first track.

Frode Thingnaes lp is a bit of a monster.

Arne Domnerius/Henning Sommerro/hanne Kjerste Buen is reeds/organ/vocal - fairly free form devotional music

Rundt Jorden... is choral stuff - not wildly interesting on first listening

My favourite is Presto. Sparse god-bothering bossa nova, folk and jazz.

Need to get my head around Kazakh and Uzbek stuff. Chinese 10"s are a bit martial, but worth it for the covers. I always forget how strange and distinctive Karin Krog's voice is.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Sorry I meant the Frode LP. Picked up a copy in Toronto many moons ago!

Comment

Some nice audio biscuits with a large helping of cheese like Walk On By

I've had the CD of this since it came out but was pleased to finally find the original 12" - it has the great B-Side called err, B-Side

This obscure folk album from '75 on Westwood turned out to be a sweet revelation, like this beautiful track Soul Of Man

I got this just for the great artwork, though the Garage Rock on it is pretty good too

Nice early Flaming Lips 12" which should have come in a proper sleeve but just came in a plain one, OK for a quid!

some nice cheap 7"s

Good Lovin'

John Cooper Clarke EP - Psycle Sluts parts 1&2

A UK EP I'd not come across before

His debut solo single - Butterfly Dance

German stereo test disc in English with a lovely plummy "Greetings to all record enthusiasts" intro

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

JCC's Psycle Sluts EP is one of his best, I reckon.

Comment

Amazing looking Norwegian gear

We need to hear some of this stuff
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

I have that Smith Family album. It's not really on collector's radars, but it's hard to come by.
                    https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Name:	rec1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1037298
                      Indian box, Latvian boxed double lp of works by the Kazakh composer Mukan Tulebaev, two revolutionary chinese 10"s, Uzbek folk and a Japanese issue of the Krog/Shepp.

Haven't heard any of it yet. Going back on Sunday for more classical
                      What a bunch of interesting records! I don't think Uzbek or Kazakh records have ever crossed my path, but I have started chasing down Armenian / Georgian composers in the past couple of years, and there are some really wild and wonderful works out there, with strong folk music influences. For example, Avet Terterian's 3rd symphony from 1975:

Hope you grabbed some great classical.

Comment

How long do you think before you are ready to follow up with an Armenian/ Georgian classical themed chart S? That grab of Terterian shows the need for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                          How long do you think before you are ready to follow up with an Armenian/ Georgian classical themed chart S? That grab of Terterian shows the need for one.
                          You are right, this stuff is ripe for a chart. I do have this in mind, also one on British post war composers... I have to battle my tendency to try and get completist on this stuff. Never gonna happen if I keep on half-heartedly chasing the Harrison Birtwistle back catalogue or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post

Hope you grabbed some great classical.
                            Haven't been back yet - there was a lot of Bartok/Kodaly/Hungarian from what I remember.

The Uzbek folk lp is very Arabic sounding, loads of stuff going on there. The Tulebaev is a Latvian issue of the opera Bhirzan & Sara and was a bit heavy going for a Sunday morning, so I'll get back to it later

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              Just posted this in July finds, but it isn't July! and I've never started a finds thread in my life!

Name:	recs 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1037297

Jazz/folk/Christian stuff from a Norwegian priest I knew who died recently.
                              That is some heavy hitters! Frode Thingnæs, Presto and That's why are really rare and doesn't pop up very often.

Here is a really good compilation of the best stuff from the xian raregroove scene in Norway https://www.discogs.com/Various-Lukk.../master/410254

Comment

Working...
                              X