2017 August Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Funky Tee View Post

Here is a really good compilation of the best stuff from the xian raregroove scene in Norway https://www.discogs.com/Various-Lukk.../master/410254
    cheers. Funky Tee. Will investigate. This track from that comp is stunning

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

"Heartbeat of Africa" single late last week. Excuse the link - my photo skills are currently AWOL.

Not a keeper. PM if interested. The bird song one was also there ($5). I can go back and fetch on request.

Find a Various - Heartbeat Of Africa - Series 2: Traditional Instruments first pressing or reissue. Complete your Various collection. Shop Vinyl and CDs.

Comment

Bit quiet round here eh? Well, as it's similarly 'tumbleweed' in our office this morning, I might as well catch up on posting some recent finds.

As per, I've been traipsing around charity shops in Notts, visiting the mighty Rob's Record Mart and also managed a Friday afternoon visit to Anarchy Records (up Mansfield Road, in case you're thinking of visiting!), couple of interweb purchases and the odd trade on the forum.

The above selection came from Rob's. Prompted by the recent Proms event (patchy I thought, Susanne Sundfor was incredible though), been listening to a bit more of Mr Walker lately, safe to say that this isn't his finest hour. Classic Banshees and a bit of underrated post-punk / indie in the shape of Flying Lizards, which I'll guess must have been one of those records that no end of folk took back to the shops as the hit single was so out of kilter with the other tracks. Wasn't impressed by Chakachas, too much latin cheesiness for me (Probably Manchego? We really have lost something with the lack of cheese discussion on this forum these days!), so that one's gone in the 'Out' pile. Dorothea Joyce is Ok, I had higher hopes of some femme folk a la Nanette Natal, or even summat along the lines of later Laura Nyro, but it's not quite there. I'll give it another chance before making the 'In / Out' decision.

Bit of trading down the market the other day got me these. No explanation needed for the Roses 12"s. I'm nearly done on the Laura Nyro quest now, still looking for a cheap copy of 'It's Gonna Take A Miracle' though - I'm trying to acquire her catalogue without really paying for any of it! Nick Drake LP's one of those that I probably wouldn't have bought had it not been for having some credit to burn. Not listened yet, but I pretty much know what to expect.

From last week's trip up the hill to Anarchy Records. A Dudley that I didn't already have - my advancing years have mellowed me towards piano-jazz, but it's still all about 'Song for Suzy'. Still loving my 80s 12"s and still baffled as to the career arc of Simple Minds. Great early 12"s, then becoming the (very) poor man's U2. Bah. And a pink rim King Crimson for a quid? Not sure what happened to the pricing gun there, but I wasn't complaining. Sleeve's tatty, mind, but the vinyl's fine. Think this is the first KC I've ever owned or even heard and it's not a bad place to start. Didn't realise how much more of a jazz than rock album this is. Might be the start of another rabbit-hole.

A colleague has been putting Penguin Café Orchestra on as background music when there's not many folk in to be distracted by it. Takes me back to my Uni days, as I had a friend who used to play me their stuff. So, thought it might be nice to buy a few on vinyl and reminisce. Got 'Broadcasting....' off eBay in a two-fer with Young Marble Giants. I've had YMG before and didn't get on with it and popular opinion seemed to dictate that I should give it another try. Lads, I really tried, but I just can't get my head round it at all. So, that one has made it's way to the 'Out' pile. Nifty bit of trading with Per brought the Bo Sylven LP into the fold, some sleazy funky grooves on here, as well as nice easy jazz vocals. And a bit more PCO.

Bit of charity shop action. How cool / gorgeous does that top row look? Quality. Mother's Finest, I think most of you will know is pretty naff Motown-related rock / metal, knew I shouldn't have bought it, even as I handed the pennies over, it'll be ballast to take down the market though. And a spare (already rehomed) of the CTI / Kudu comp with Esther Phillips' (superior version?) 'Home Is Where The Hatred Is'.

Not often I get a multiple hit in the same chazza these days, but all of these (plus he CTI / Kudu comp) came from the same place (in a Nottingham shopping centre). Pretty much a solid hit of VV / VG+ classics right there. All except the Duncan Lamont (just that bit too parpmongous) are keepers. As for Jack Emblow, I couldn't believe that I was buying an accordion-based LP, but the session line-up looked like quality and, when I heard it, I wouldn't have guessed that it's actually an accordion anyway, sounds more like a wind instrument or summat. I'm sure it's dead well known round here, but if there are others like me who still have sizeable gaps in their knowledge, if you see this one about, give it a try. Well worth your quid.

Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I looked for that Harry South LP for ages Ben. One of my favourite versions of Scarbrough Fair. I had it on a tape for years recorded off of a pirate radio show but annoyingly I didn't know who it was by. I must have listened to a hundred versions before I found out who it was!

Comment

Early Banshees always seemed to me to be exactly what a punk band should be. And yet seemed so different from most of the rest of the punk groups. Still listen to "The Scream" . One of the few from then. Nice find.

That Dudley "nice" in a different sense.

I am with you on YMG. From memory, anyway. A few nice moments. I was surprised years later to learn that people rated it that much.

I left an OG PCO 1st (5 quid) on my last UK trip. That is the sound of me still occasionally trying to kick myself, and it doesn't matter.

Keep it up Ben. I am digging vicariously through you at the moment.

Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 18-08-2017, 12:58 PM. Reason: More to say

Comment

Think I've been on the lookout for that Jack Emblow LP for yonks - if it's the one that has the stonking 'Ritual Fire Dance' on it, which is on one of the S2S compilation LPs. Never seen the LP before.

Along the way I've picked up loads of other Emblow and/or French Connection albums, which have been uniformly terrible.

Comment

yes, likewise on the Jack Emblow. Think it's quite rare - no hits on popsike or Discogs entry for it.

He plays accordion on the Grace Jones "Nightclubbing" album too.

Comment

Herbie Mann - St. Thomas - had "Jungle Fantasy" on a comp for years, thought I'd check out the rest of the LP. Pretty good, slightly exotic throughout. "Sorimao" my favourite, I think
                  The 49 Americans - We Know Nonsense - from a local charity. Avant-garde pop thing, David Toop and Steve Beresford, plus people like Lol Coxhill. Some interesting bits, but not for me, so headed for trade or Discogs
                  Was in Rye for a weekend a couple of weeks back. Not the best spot for records.
                  Father Geoffrey Beaumont / Frank Weir - 20th Century Folk Mass - a few interesting moments, but into the out pile. "Folk" as in people, rather than "folk music" in this case. Usually pick up mass LPs though, just in case
                  Acker Bilk - Folio of Great Songs - never had one of these before, this was 3 quid from the bargain bin in Grammar School Records, and thought about leaving it in the hope of a charity find one-day. "Acka Raga" is the track on here (possibly one other is ok? need to double check), but not sure it's a keeper. It's not my favourite track on the Indo Jazz LPs, and this gets string heavy.

Was in Amsterdam for a conference, managed to get to a couple of record shops, although a bit pricey now with the Pound/Euro rate
                  King Floyd - s/t - pretty solid soul LP, some funky numbers
                  Eight Devils From Detroit - Beat Blues Live! - Dutch live jazz/R&B set, covers of Work Song, Watermelon Man, and some originals. Definitely saw this either here or Waxidermy.
                  The Automatic Blues Inc - Rock'n'Blues - from the bargain bin. On Europa which a DL Miller/Leo Muller budget label.
                  Chicago Transit Authority - another bargain bin, never had this before. Double with I'm A Man etc on
                  Noro Morales - At the Harvest Moon Ball - and another bargain bin. Some good tracks, found this one up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZ2LeyGtXo

Comment

Yes, several solid tracks on the Herbie Mann. Some history of Mann-love on the board, which I am slowly following up on. Too slowly the other week when I missed a comp which had on it "Incence" from one of his mid-sixties efforts. Great track.

As to Mr Emblow, I must pick up that comp - that take on "Ritual Fire Dance" will be worth the almost nothing it will cost.

That is unless anyone can point me to a version that tops it.
                    Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 19-08-2017, 12:55 PM. Reason: "That is unless..."

Comment

Just counted, and I own at least 16 Herbie Mann albums

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                        Think I've been on the lookout for that Jack Emblow LP for yonks - if it's the one that has the stonking 'Ritual Fire Dance' on it, which is on one of the S2S compilation LPs. Never seen the LP before.

Along the way I've picked up loads of other Emblow and/or French Connection albums, which have been uniformly terrible.
                        French Collection, not French Connection

Comment

Sorry for a repeat if you also following the Rotatey Diskers FB group, but I feel I haven't posted here for a while.

Visited my mum in the weekend and managed to time it with the yearly antiques/collectables/retro fair in the town. Usually not great with records, it's mostly low end antiques dealers who usually have a dim view of record pricing. Some just say 5€ and upwards, and it's a box full of junk. Others, with some stuff of value, seemed to have discogsed and gone for the top price conveniently forgetting they had a knackered copy and that Mr Toppricebuyer was unlikely to appear on that field that morning.
                          But I found a 10kr-box (90p) where I pulled this Jook beauty I've been after. Also a few more, like a reasonably clean Tages-Fuzzy Patterns and a few punts.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	jook.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1037473

After lunch my mum wanted me to drive her out to an emporium in a village outside town to get a new vacuum cleaner. The kind of shop where you can get everything from cheese to fertilizer. Or a fridge. They actually started a webshop but unlike the places where you imagine robot fork lifts whirring around pulling orders from tall shelves it's manned by two old men cursing over their ancient computers and why they can't find the bloody orders in their mayhem of a damp warehouse.

Returning, I noticed a Loppis-sign and turned off. Turned out to be a farm wonderfully positioned above the river, all red painted houses. One of the smaller houses, probably the old farm hand living quarters, and an outbuilding now housed a loppis (thrift store) with more stuff than I hoped for. This kind of farm affairs often disappoint, but I found a ecent size pile of LPs (10 kr again) I pulled out these two records by John-Erik Axelsson, Barn (1971) & Spår (). Actually unknown to me, but looked interesting in a proggy way. I've been burnt by this kind of records but they are actually quite good, quirky folk prog with Spår the most interesting one.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	axelsson.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1037474
                          ------------------------------------------------------
                          "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            Just counted, and I own at least 16 Herbie Mann albums
                            The good are extremely good and the bad are bloody atrocious!
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

Got 'Broadcasting....' off eBay in a two-fer with Young Marble Giants. I've had YMG before and didn't get on with it and popular opinion seemed to dictate that I should give it another try. Lads, I really tried, but I just can't get my head round it at all. So, that one has made it's way to the 'Out' pile.

That Young Marble Giants LP is a desert island disc for me! Also saw them live at the time the LP was released - mesmerising...

That said - we can't all like the same stuff eh?

Comment

I've been on holiday in France for a week. I've bought over 50 records at the vide greniers (French car boot sales) and flea markets.

I still can't work out how to post photos here since the Photobucket changes so you'll have to put up with a link to my Twitter 'moment'.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/899646482583826432

Spoiler to entice you to click - features Pharoah Sanders, Polnareff, Jorge Ben, library records and a keytar.

WF

Comment

Working...
                                X