October 2017 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
    yup, they came in Saturday she said, so had been picked through a few times - I only really got them as they were so cheap!
    there were some on King and Sound Gems but have passed them onto the missus to sell on - they would just sit in my collection
    Great find. Apart from the ooof some other nice things in there. I have about half of these. Love The Five Stairsteps, Andy Butler, Ella Washington, Bobby Powell, The Emotions. It's good to know these things can still happen in a charity shop. Wonder what else had been nabbed already?

What do you think? - Soul Bowl soul pack found in the bottom of a dead relative's wardrobe?

A few years ago a work colleague brought into work his half of an SB soul pack that he had bought with a friend back in the 80s. They had been in the bottom of his wardrobe pretty much ever since. I marveled at the conditlon of them most of which were stone mint. There was a £250 record amongst them. I sold most of them on ebay on his behalf and kept a few as commission.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
      If I've heard anything by Shelly Manne I wasn't conscious of it. I somehow got the impression that he was at the 'old school' end of 'mainstream' (I am here using those terms as if they were pejoratives). 'Free' would never have occurred to me.

Mental note made.

The 'The Quintet' album looks like it should entertain for a while.
      I wasn't suggesting Shelly Manne was ever 'Free', just meaning that , rather like Free jazz , the music seems to demand a bit of concentration although actually in could just be that I read the sleeve notes first and they clouded my perception!

Update on the Hiram Bullock. I don't want to get jazz funkers' hopes up. It is predominantly on the smooth jazz end of the spectrum after all, with some borderline rock guitar in places. Very mid 80s production, the type that can put my teeth on edge.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

Shelly Manne

Comment

Most recent finds:

Frank Sinatra - This town 7", Hazlewood/Ocean's 11
          Supreme Nyborn - Style LP, hype late 80's rap
          T La Rock - Back to burn 12", Mantronik!
          MC Breeze - Damn I'm good 12"
          Monk Higgins - Heavyweight LP w Gotta be funky
          Ted Atking - Pop hits for dancing LP w The man from nowhere
          Mel Carter - Be my love LP w Nature boy
          Al Hirt - ? LP w Scarborough fair
          First choice - Hold your horses LP w Love thang
          Taste of honey - ? LP w Rescue me

Comment

Out and about today I found myself close by a chazzer. Lots of the usual 'non-heat' LPs.

I succumbed to "The Best of Salsa Disco" (store credit?) and Ray Davies' "Flashpoint" (in case someone here wants it, otherwise store credit).

Also a different pressing of a Messiaen LP I already have (it looks like it is in slightly better nick).

All $2.

I passed on Roy Budd "Great Songs and Themes from Great Films". I was more than a little surprised to see what some are asking for that on Discogs. What is that about? Is it just that there was a time that that was the best chance you had of finding the "Carter" tracks and that the prices have not scaled back in the face of reissues?

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
              Nice. Hard to do a bad version of that I reckon.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Not going to bore anyone with more common finds which have been sparse anyway. Just some of interest.

John D Loudermilk - Sings a Bizarre Collection of the Most Unusual Songs

I wouldn't call them unusual although it is a bizarre collection I'll give him that. When it hits the spot it's good but the song choices are all over the place.

Natural Acoustic Band - Branching In

A much better find:

Shakti with John Mclaughlin

I was obsessed with John McLaughlin in the 90's so know this album well but the problem with it now is it is way too in your face for my tastes at the moment almost like the thrash metal of Indian Fusion. When they pair it back though it has great tracks like this. Still good chazza find. :

Elton John - Friends

Still on an EJ tip and probably got all the ones I want bar one and I need a better copy of 'Captain Fantastic' as it's my fave. I wasn't going to bother with this but it came from the same chazza box as 'Shakti' so home it came. I have neither heard of nor seen the film!

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

There are only a couple on at weekends now but I have still turned up some car booty.

I picked up a tatty paper sleeve version of this a few years ago but this is the original front laminated proper sleeve comrades.

Released in an oversized sleeve this 7" was released to raise funds to save the steelworks,
                  it must have been partly successful but it finally closed down 8 years later in 1980.

He only released 2 singles and this was one, the other was a Save Corby Steelworks EP both released in 1979.

A pair of Crossbow EP's featuring Merseyside bands The Layabouts and The Ravers.

This Power Pop single came with a free 5" one sided flexi-disc which had the lyrics printed on the rear.

I paid £2 each for these American 78's from the 1930's

I took a punt on this as I got to the boot late and there were a lot of Wombles records left in a box along with this which took my eye
                  due to the Joe Boyd production credit on the rear, it turns out to be pretty scarce.

The TV series albums turn up quite often but I hadn't come across the original movie soundtrack before.

One I got for the sleeve - "I say young Matador, can you tell me the way to the cantina?"
                  The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                    Natural Acoustic Band - Branching In

A much better find:

Is the laminate bubbling at the spine? I've never seen one that isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                      There are only a couple on at weekends now but I have still turned up some car booty.
                      Bloody hell HG how big is your house!

Comment

I have a cellar full of noise!
                        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Read this last week, quite amusing, added it to my mental list just in case. As if!

Anyway, did a quick stop off on Sat taking my son on a trip out of town, and look what I ran into at the back of a box of rubbish hip hop.

Comment

OOF!
                            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

What he said.

Comment

It is, noticeably so.

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

Is the laminate bubbling at the spine? I've never seen one that isn't.
                                Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Working...
                                X