• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 December finds

Today's find:
    retro-pop-art-confusion

most came from a box won at a local auction

released on Verve Records in 1968

This was in along with a whole lot of 60's Jazz - there were other comedy albums by Noel Coward, Joyce Grenfell etc.

Most of the Jazz vinyl look near mint, the box had pretty much every Ella Fitzgerald and Wes Montgomery LP ever made in it.

a sweet 50p charity shop find this morning!

In with the Jazz were these great BBC albums along with their inserts

along with this pair of American comedy records

best find of the week was this beauty lurking in a box of Clapton and Eurythmics albums

I wasn't quite aware of quite how good it was until I saw the reliable Mushroom label

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Lovely!
      The Downstairs Lounge
      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Nice finds with the Locomotive and C&F, gentlemen!
        https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
          Nice finds with the Locomotive and C&F, gentlemen!
          Locomotive? moecurlythanu?

Comment

I have to confess something about the Locomotive picture (from the first post).

Last Saturday I was browsing Discogs and found this page:

https://www.discogs.com/Locomotive-W...elease/1866421

I realized that about a month ago I was looking at that record in a local flea market. And for some inexplicable reason I had not bought that LP for 1.5 euros!?! After kicking myself for a while I just had to go and see if the record was still at the flea market. Well it was, or at least in a way it was. It turned out to be this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Todo...elease/4157158
            retro-pop-art-confusion

Comment

Originally posted by Timo View Post

I realized that about a month ago I was looking at that record in a local flea market. And for some inexplicable reason I had not bought that LP for 1.5 euros!?! After kicking myself for a while I just had to go and see if the record was still at the flea market. Well it was, or at least in a way it was. It turned out to be this one:

I'd rather have cheerful tourist-oriented versions of Ra Ta Ta , Dum Dum and Borriquito than a prog grail anyway.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I thought the subject in the picture was an orange chair you found

Comment

My favourite record shop is officially closed, except that it is still open while the owner tidies up, so I'm continuing my twice a week visits ... still some good stuff turning up ...

Charles Dumont, Romuald – Michel Vaillant (hoped would be more interesting)
                  Józef Skrzek ‎– Ojciec Chrzestny Dominika ... the one-man Polish Pink Floyd ...
                  Ravindra Jain ‎– Chor Machaye Shor ... absolutely beautiful vocal by Lata Mangeshkar on 2nd track
                  Pray For Rain / Zander Schloss ‎– The Winner (Original Soundtrack) ... not listened yet
                  Jack Arel, Various ‎– I giovani lupi (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Recording) looks right up my cuppa

I think while he's tidying up, interesting odds and ends are turning up ... when he finally shuts up the shop some time this month, it'll be the end of what was a very nice era ... good digging, interesting conversation, learned a lot ... doesn't happen very often ...
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Wonderful photo on the Callinan Flynn lp..just abstract or is it supposed to make a statement? looks like the poor bus has seen better days.

Comment

The loco find is the Various ‎– !Todo Exitos! En Español

lp. With the speech bubble and text top left corner!
                      Jazz ain't dead!

Comment

A new source for records (at least as far as I'm concerned): National Trust Second Hand Book Shops in their properties. These two both acquired from them in the last week.

Phil Wilson – God Bless Jim Kennedy. Power/Indie Pop from 2010. In great condition apart from some ugly seam splits top and bottom. How does this happen? Quite like some of music and instrumentation on this, unfortunately Phil's voice is very underwhelming.

Maria Valejo - Fado De Corpo Inteiro. Virtually undocumented on the internet as far as I have been able to find. I do like the mournful vibes of Fado. I have no idea what Maria is singing about but much of Side 1 is too jaunty for me, and not sure I like her voice. However things take a distinctly more melancholy tone on Side 2 and she wins me over.

Odds as sods from the Charity shops last weekend

Jean Ritchie – None But One. The sort of folk I can take. Title track is great. Vinyl looks nice and clean but plays with some mild crackle Why? Might get the PVA out.

Nino De Los Reyes – Canta Andalusia. Lots of stomping and ugh voices. Straight to the out box.

Vaughan Williams – JOB – A Masque For Dancing. Represents an occasional foray into classical. Like this. By turns quiet and loud, soothing and strident. It made me jump at one point.

45s are:

The Equals – The Skies Above / I Get So Excited. The Equals are always worth a punt. This one doesn't disappoint.

Migil 5 – Mockin' Bird Hill / Long Ago And Far Away Didn't know what to expect. Turns out it's Ska meets English Pub Singers (to my ears anyway)

Sweet – Turn it Down / ….. Someone Else Will. Both sides are superb. I have learnt to seek out Sweet B Sides. This one was worth it. Back in the day B Sides wouldn't have got much air play, the lyrics hidden by the ….. would have ensured zero air play by the Beeb. And I think it developed from this into “even more filth” in live versions.

Comment

I always check the National Trust bookshops but never seen vinyl in any, would be nice if they all start doing it. What was the pricing like?

Bought that VW last year, rather liked it too. Bought a fair bit of stuff like VW and Elgar over the past couple of years. Reminds me I need to listen to the Antartica Symphony LP i bought a few months back - probably a good time to listen to it, since it's been snowing all day in London

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            I always check the National Trust bookshops but never seen vinyl in any, would be nice if they all start doing it. What was the pricing like?

Bought that VW last year, rather liked it too. Bought a fair bit of stuff like VW and Elgar over the past couple of years. Reminds me I need to listen to the Antartica Symphony LP i bought a few months back - probably a good time to listen to it, since it's been snowing all day in London
                            I've been checking the NT bookshops this year, and this is the first time I've seen any vinyl. £2 a go at Dyrham Park, and £1 at Mottisfont.

A bit of white stuff fell in Bristol but it didn't pitch Of course I'll be glad of that when I have to go to work in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by richwax View Post
                              Wonderful photo on the Callinan Flynn lp..just abstract or is it supposed to make a statement? looks like the poor bus has seen better days.
                              it's a blown up (possibly by the I.R.A.) bus

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X