Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 January finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'm on a roll!



    Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby. UK Riverside 1st press mono in great condition. Beautiful late night listening.


    And some other bits...



    Paul Simon - Hearts And Bones.

    Eugenie Baird Sings Duke's Boys Play Ellington. Big Band / swing I expect Not heard of Eugenie before. That was the same with another white singer (whose name escapes me) on an album in a similar vein that I picked up a couple of years ago That singer was a great surprise, let's see if Eugenie can surprise too. Something in the sleeve too which I will document elsewhere here.

    The David Whitaker Orchestra - Latin In The Night. I must prepare myself to be immersed in Deramic Sound.

    Willy deVille - Victory Mixture. All the NOLA musicians on this one, NOLA compositions too. We'll see.

    Comment


    • #17
      an "oof" for the 99p Bill Evans there

      "Hearts and Bones" has got some great tracks on (and a couple of stinkers) like The Late Great Johnny Ace (with Philip Glass strings outro). Grew up listening to that album and also "One Trick Pony" which is nice all the way through from memory

      had that Latin In The Night once but don't remember it at all

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        an "oof" for the 99p Bill Evans there

        "Hearts and Bones" has got some great tracks on (and a couple of stinkers) like The Late Great Johnny Ace (with Philip Glass strings outro). Grew up listening to that album and also "One Trick Pony" which is nice all the way through from memory

        had that Latin In The Night once but don't remember it at all
        Loving the trio's take on Milestones.



        Yes, I grew up listening to Paul Simon's eponymous 1972 album. Still one of my all time favourites probably. I had a work colleague way back then who cited Hearts And Bones as her favourite album.

        Just played Latin in The Night very smooth very easy plenty of strings (as you'd expect I suppose). Really like Berimbau (last but one track side 2) The whole album is here:



        Have now played Eugenie Baird and that is really good throughout, mostly on the mellow side which is right up my street. Unfortunately my copy has been very well played so some light hiss and distortion on the top end thru most of the tracks. Stand out track on first listen is her take on Something To Live For (not on YouTube as far as I can see).

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm sorry, I haven't followed your accounts of your pulls at all closely. Is it destined to be a prize piece for you? Or is it just something that you are understandably happy to have come across?

          PatGoD, that is

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by candiman View Post
            Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers at Birdland – Ugestu. Fantasy/Riverside '83 reissue.

            .
            First hard bop lp I ever bought. I doubt there's a better way to open an album/concert than the glorious One By One.

            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              couple of Manitas De Plata LPs - would be nice to see some other flamenco guitarists for a change
              ]
              I'm planning a running flamenco thread shortly, mainly because Youtube is such an amazing resource for the music.
              I don't find a lot out here, but I do buy stuff on the mainland and, to be honest, avoid most flamenco records on UK/US or German labels. They're usually either old Manitas, Narciso/Segovia and their classical stylings or touring shows like the Fontana one and José Greco you found. I don't know if they're any good, to be honest, but dancing doesn't usually work well on vinyl.

              Anyway, here's some brilliant footage of Diego Del Gastor, an incredible guitarist whose recorded stuff is virtually impossible to find, playing at various juergas (piss ups).



              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                I'm sorry, I haven't followed your accounts of your pulls at all closely. Is it destined to be a prize piece for you? Or is it just something that you are understandably happy to have come across?

                PatGoD, that is
                Well, I like early Floyd and I will enjoy owning it... for now at least, although eventually the temptation to sell may win

                https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-T...elease/2901203

                You have to admit something like this rarely turns up in a chazza nowadays.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by candiman View Post

                  In my haste and amid a bit of shaky hand I now wonder if I missed something. I should go back today, but it will be too late I'm sure.
                  Shaky hand? I'm surprised your face is still on your head. Is it?

                  Very very nice find. Once in a year, or maybe ten ...
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Did an airport run on Sunday and popped into Altrincham on the way back and did a few chazzas. I noticed a sign for a new record/coffee shop but I had no time to check it out as I had to go but I did do a couple of charity shops. Oxfam books and Records used to be great but they even have a sign now saying they are struggling for stock but I did grab that OG Strawbs album from there complete with booklet and tri-fold cover, a proper album cover!

                    I've made a point of late to listen back to bands I casually dismissed previously and I don't mind this by 'The Strawbs' it's got a certain charm, really well produced, mellotron and it's a concept album which I always like. I don't know why I dismissed them maybe because in the past I've never been a huge folk person and that has changed in recent years or maybe it's because of their terrible name. 'Fairport Convention' and 'Steeleye Span' are two other bands in this sort of genre I've never listened to. I have a copy of 'Almanac' on my shelves I keep meaning to listen to, it's been there for 2 years! I've bought quite a bit of 'Steeleye Span' over the years and just stored it up as store credit I only kept 'Almanac' as I thought being early it might be good.

                    Also some cheap jazz and a shrinkwrapped record from 2014 which is some kind of promo with a 4AD connection which has a couple of good tracks on it but being a promo it's all over the place in tone, cool cover though. It's this. : https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ic-M...elease/9774729

                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

                    Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

                    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

                    Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by amidar View Post
                      'Fairport Convention' and 'Steeleye Span' are two other bands in this sort of genre I've never listened to.
                      For both just start with the first album and listen sequentially until you stop liking them I reckon.

                      First Fairport is more US psych sounding, by the time of the 4th ("Liege and Lief") they are fully folk rock, after then Sandy Denny leaves and I stop listening

                      First Steeleye Span ("Hark! The Village Wait") is great, fits into the acid folk canon, definitely worth getting if you like Trees etc. Next two are still folky, after that they get more into that annoying jaunty electric folk rock sound and more joking around. 6th one even has David Bowie playing the saxophone (badly) on a cover of "To Know Him Is To Love Him", another has Peter Sellers on ukulele. Mike Batt producing should be a sign to steer clear

                      The three earlier Tim Hart and Maddy Prior albums are really good in a more conventional folk revival style. Also the various band members who left Fairport and Steeleye Span after the early years - Martin Carthy, Ashley Hutchings, the Woods Band, etc

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Yeah I figured early 'Steeleye' would be where it's at, I know their first fetches reasonable money for an OG. With Fairport I see 'Liege and Lief' a lot no doubt as it was popular and had a few represses but it's always a fiver or more and I pull the record out it's generally wrecked. I kind of think with this sort of thing you have the golden years of 69 to say 73 at a push and then it tends to go downhill in the main. I have a couple of early Martin Carthy albums on the shelves (later represses) or they may have gone into the garage, more stuff I keep meaning to play.

                        Yep Mike Batt, says it all. I got rid of a bulk lot of easily shiftable records for store credit last year and slipped in a copy of 'Tarot Suite' to bulk it up, think it's still sitting on his shelves.

                        Originally posted by bongolia View Post

                        For both just start with the first album and listen sequentially until you stop liking them I reckon.

                        First Fairport is more US psych sounding, by the time of the 4th ("Liege and Lief") they are fully folk rock, after then Sandy Denny leaves and I stop listening

                        First Steeleye Span ("Hark! The Village Wait") is great, fits into the acid folk canon, definitely worth getting if you like Trees etc. Next two are still folky, after that they get more into that annoying jaunty electric folk rock sound and more joking around. 6th one even has David Bowie playing the saxophone (badly) on a cover of "To Know Him Is To Love Him", another has Peter Sellers on ukulele. Mike Batt producing should be a sign to steer clear

                        The three earlier Tim Hart and Maddy Prior albums are really good in a more conventional folk revival style. Also the various band members who left Fairport and Steeleye Span after the early years - Martin Carthy, Ashley Hutchings, the Woods Band, etc
                        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

                        Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

                        Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

                        Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          These 2 discs were in with a pile of 78's I picked up recently - for free I might add, the morning DJ here in Northampton mentioned
                          someone had phoned his show to say there was a chap who had hundreds of old 78's he wanted rid of for FREE, so naturally I was on
                          the blower and round like a shot! Turned out to be mostly Easy Listening hell but there were a few unusual gems like these.



                          The Garden Facebook Blog

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            ooh is that a jazz version of John Peel? that's a great song to sing, not that I can remember the words

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              link to the audio = http://www.mediafire.com/file/qd5ve8...l%20Boogie.mp3
                              The Garden Facebook Blog

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                cheers! sounds a bit odd though, was that recorded with a 78 stylus?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X