May 2018 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2018 Finds

Starting the month with an ebay buy - been after this for a couple of years now and been outbid a few times, but just got a beautiful totally mint copy for $10 with no other bidders. The record is in a sort of sweet spot where latin, jazz and Easy/Exotica all meet, just lovely and super mellow, and although it's a just a trio they're all session guys and have a well-stocked studio - loads of percussion, vibes, marimba, etc. Versions of Frenesi, Brazil, Misirlou, Besame Mucho, etc and a few originals.

The Ramblers - Tea Dansero - whole album up here:

there's a Spanish EP from this as well with some of the tracks

That's gorgeous Mike! Didn't know about it either... nice one. Thanks
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Yep. This is lovely stuff. Makes me want to dig out my Santo & Johnny and Indios Tabajaras lps again.
      Spain''s not exactly short of EPs featuring Frenesi and Became Mucho, but I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

These are the highlights of a nice collection of about 160 LPs that came from a house clearance. Apologies for the fuzzy photos taken by my cheap android phone and my shakey hand.

Most of the LPs appear to have been purchased during the '70s. The most recent record dates from 1980. There's a mixture of UK, Dutch and German pressings, some originals and some second pressings. Unusually there were none of the usual suspects - no Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, Dylan, N.Young, Hendrix, etc, and none of the singer-songwriter bores named Taylor, Mitchell, Simon, Garfunkel, Nash, Crosby, Cohen, etc, either. Instead there were runs of Van Morrison and Steve Miller Band, some Terry Riley, some Grateful Dead, Bowie, both Mike Heron and Robin Williamson solo LPs but no Incredible String Band, while new wave was represented by Patti Smith 'Wave', the 2nd Only Ones, the Au Pairs, Nina Hagen, Tubeway Army, the Stranglers NMH and the first two Joy Division LPs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180502_094815.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1042858

Name:	IMG_20180502_095052.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1042859

Name:	IMG_20180502_094926.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1042860

By 'highlights' I guess I meant the LPs I'm going to keep. Some of these I've had in the past and moved on, and they just don't turn up anymore at sensible prices, like the Eno albums, or Dr.John. I guess most things here will be known. The two Ton Lebbink I know only by reputation and I was thrilled to find them. My brother played me Al Kooper Presents Shuggie Otis which is great, so I'm looking forward to hearing this one which is the followup. There were other great records (Jody Grind 'Far Canal', a really nice 'Disraeli Gears') but I'll be moving them on. Also a handful of reggae and Arabic LPs. All in all a small but really interesting collection.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Seems like a nice collection of stuff , really like the Caravan If I could do it all over again, quite hard to find nowadays , be interested in seeing what Arabic lps came with this lot , if you intend to move any of those on perhaps pm me

Comment

Or me if reza isn't interested.

Comment

The Ramblers; yes, they pull that sound off very well indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                Seems like a nice collection of stuff , really like the Caravan If I could do it all over again, quite hard to find nowadays , be interested in seeing what Arabic lps came with this lot , if you intend to move any of those on perhaps pm me
                A couple of LPs by a guy called Farid El Atrache, on the Voice Of Lebanon, and Abdelhadi Belkhyat from Morocco on Koutoubiaphone. One of them is missing half the front cover. All 70s pressings.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post

A couple of LPs by a guy called Farid El Atrache, on the Voice Of Lebanon, and Abdelhadi Belkhyat from Morocco on Koutoubiaphone. One of them is missing half the front cover. All 70s pressings.

Neither of those partic wanted but much appreciated and thanks, I have the tribute to Farid El Atrache by Omar Khorshid which is really great btw, bottom left, would recommend

Comment

Just got this lovely 7" picture disc which came with a game called Foto-Finish in the late 50's. It features commentary of a horse race
                    on each side in which six horses are named. There are six near-identical tracks (and six start-points on the edge of the disc) so that the race is run
                    but you have no idea of which horse will win until the end of the race. So (in the game or on its own) you can bet on the random outcome.
                    It's similar to Totopoly and was made in South Africa but have little other info.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Car boot nothing to write home about, top 3 were a quid all in. Nice to pull that 'Tito Puente' album whilst were on the subject of such things. Ray Conniff to fill out the 3 for 'Theme from SWAT' if nothing else. 'Tumbleweeds' are dutch country, 'The Boat Band' local folk about life on the canals and the last one is by 'Vern Gosdin' 78 Elektra issue which I'm guessing is Country and hopefully alright. The first one is interesting am wondering if Fuz has come across it, I've posted the rear to clarify it's holyness, they have a singer and everything!

EDIT: To put that 'Scottish Dance Orchestra' in context it says they were based in Hong Kong and it's a EMI Chinese release or HK only not too sure but the 'Tito' is as well I believe and it came from a box with other English Chinese export records on major labels but they were old school dance bands in the main. It says 70's on the back but it's performed in more of a merseybeat stylee with a few good tracks and some pointless fodder like 'Popcorn' and 'Hawaii Five Yawn' but yep an oddity I think which I'd have skimmed over but records were thin on the ground and that particular Wednesday car boot always turns up some odd finds, usually old. It used to turn up some bloody good hi-fi gear too but those days are gone.

Last edited by amidar; 02-05-2018, 11:13 PM.
                      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Never Seen it amidar! I would definately have picked it up had I happened upon it... looks great!
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Nice Tito Puente find. Caramelos is the one I like off that lp.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                            Nice Tito Puente find. Caramelos is the one I like off that lp.

https://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/forum...scos#post30780

Can't listen to that here BC - is that the same "caramelos" as was on this mighty fine swap CD from Carlitos?

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                              https://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/forum...scos#post30780

Can't listen to that here BC - is that the same "caramelos" as was on this mighty fine swap CD from Carlitos?
                              Yep. Same song, different version. I think it's a Cuban tune originally.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X