May 2018 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Sweet Jesus! Great haul. Instant jazz colection.

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post

Head Gardener - how on earth do you manage to consistently find so many records week in, week out??!! Maybe living in a large city like Glasgow means records are, ironically, thinner on the ground since there's so much competition - but it's rare I even SEE that many records, never mind BUY them!
      well as I live in Northampton I guess we're epicentre to Milton Keynes, Daventry, Corby and even anywhere just off the M1 so I travel about a lot.
      I only usually go to one local one on a Saturday and it isn't even the big one as everyone else seems to go there, so maybe it's because I'm not hitting
      the big fields on a Saturday. On a Sunday however there are 3 I go to regular one after the other - and even then I don't go to the biggest one - The Super Sausage
      as it's way too aggressive for me. I also take my mum on a Sunday as she has good eyes too and if she spots stuff rings me and I tramp across the field to her!
      The garage sale season is always good too and then of course there are the tip shops/charity shops etc, several of which I am friends with the owners as
      I have been going there so long so they tend to put stuff by for me, which is nice.
      I am glad I don't live in a city as there would be too much competition really and plus a lot of folks don't seem to like getting up at 6am on weekends I reckon.
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

well as I live in Northampton I guess we're epicentre to Milton Keynes, Daventry, Corby and even anywhere just off the M1 so I travel about a lot.
        I only usually go to one local one on a Saturday and it isn't even the big one as everyone else seems to go there, so maybe it's because I'm not hitting
        the big fields on a Saturday. On a Sunday however there are 3 I go to regular one after the other - and even then I don't go to the biggest one - The Super Sausage
        as it's way too aggressive for me. I also take my mum on a Sunday as she has good eyes too and if she spots stuff rings me and I tramp across the field to her!
        The garage sale season is always good too and then of course there are the tip shops/charity shops etc, several of which I am friends with the owners as
        I have been going there so long so they tend to put stuff by for me, which is nice.
        I am glad I don't live in a city as there would be too much competition really and plus a lot of folks don't seem to like getting up at 6am on weekends I reckon.
        Thank you, that more than satisfactorily answers my initial query. No further questions, m'lud...
        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I'm curious if HG purchased whole boxes, or pulled all of those records individually? (Pulled in the American sense, of course.)
          https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

I presumed that was his spoils arranged for the photo after getting back home?

Comment

yes, this was one of several houses selling records, this guy said he had "thousands more" so of course I gave him a card.
              the Jazz LP's came from a car boot t'other week but the best of the spoils at the garage sale were some Sabbath, Dylan (UK mono Blonde)
              and James Brown, Kool & The Gang etc, I try not to post the more obvious stuff as you guys must have seen them many times before.
              I am taking a whole load of these to Reading at the end of May as I have TOO MUCH BLOODY STUFF it's taking over the cellar
              so come early if your interested in anything.
              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

TOO MUCH BLOODY STUFF it's taking over the cellar
                I thought it would never happen.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Took a trip to Milton Keynes earlier today to sign a 25 year lease on Radio CRMK - which makes me now the
                  proud owner of a radio station* I found a few things on my adventure round the City of Trees (* with another bloke)

stopping off at Stadium MK home of the MKDons, it seems 100 AA vans couldn't fix them getting relegated last week

some of the charity shops seem to be on a different pricing structure to my planet

luckily I found a great bin in one which turned up a treat, which was actually sitting right at the front!

it may have been skipped over by other diggers as even I had to look twice as I'd never come across
                  this debut album by a pre-shades/bearded Jeff Lynne before, complete with creepy inner gate-fold.

shopping trolley + vinyl = double win! including this double album on advice for the nervous

and a very early tatty but playable Stockhausen album from 1962

all in all a worthwhile trip out of town
                  The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

i visited a couple of charity shops yesterday. found these two records which i quite like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	judy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1043209Click image for larger version

Name:	hass.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1043210

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Sunshine View Post

Name:	hass.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1043210
                      I wondered if that was Hans Hass the excellent Austrian scuba pioneer, but it turns out it's his son. It wasn't that glückliche a Zukunft, because he killed himself in 2009.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

shopping trolley + vinyl = double win! including this double album on advice for the nervous
                        Could you take the lps home in the trolley??

Comment

nah, I only found 2, mind you I could have got a quid on the trolley....
                          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1043218Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	1043219

Weird coincidence in finding two Glenn Branca albums this week... he passed away on 13th.
                            The Giorno one has Thurston Moore and Lee Renaldo on gtr 1982.

I took a chance on the gypsy record but it was only £1.

The I Roy / Prince Jazzbo Step Forward Youth is one of the first 'clash' records so quite a good find on the Live & Love label.

The Wild Things comp is all New Zealand '60s garage bands and has a few classics on .... like The BlueStars - Social End Product / The La De das - How Is the Air Up There.
                            Got them on other comps but nice to have.

Menster Phip - not played it yet, looks lo-fi and groovy.
                            Dead Elvis - mutant raw rockabilly.
                            I don't usually buy 80s library but this KPM album 'Out Of The Dark' is a Dave Vorhaus / Fairlight collection. It was only a couple of quid.

I also got a couple of reggae box sets left over from record store day. The Yabby You had £20 off so got that without a second's thought.

To be honest - my best purchases this week have all been Cds .... so cheap and so plentiful round here. I got some really good classical box sets for pennies, Current 93, some weird US garage albums, Hendrix, a Searchers 3 CD set and the new Nick Nicely, some free jazz and a quite rare The Bug album .... all for £1 each.

*********** Long story alert **************

On a different subject..... I try not to sell online anymore. I may have to at some point but I find it stressful and there's often some sort of problem.

Case in point - I was subbing some Cds on Discogs ... a bunch of weird CDrs and promo type things. I have boxes of these from my radio days - plus I bought up some closing-down shop stock a few years ago and never really gone through them properly.

Aaaaanyway ....... I got a message from some guy in Tokyo offering me $50 for a promo CDr I subbed. It's nothing special ... at least not to me - the type of thing I'm happy to sell for £1 at the record fair.

I had a look at the CDr and it had a slight blemish near the innner .... but I played the thing and it worked ok.

Then (this is the good bit) .... for no reason other than I'm an idiot .... I picked away at the blemish a bit with my nail ... and a flake of metal came away thereby rendering the CDr useless (well, it plays the first track with glitching and jumping, the rest plays ok. It looks terrible though - it's got a hole in it.)

I must admit - I laughed bitterly for a good couple of minutes and broke into a slight sweat.
                            I hadn't actually done the deal with the guy so .... it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

I let the guy know what happened and said I couldn't possibly sell it to him for $50.
                            He misunderstood me ... and then offered me even MORE money for it.
                            It's some kind of rare thing he's desperate for.

I'd rather send it to him for free - well - for shipping.

Fairly typical of me though. Shit businessman.

(Sorry about long story - had to tell someone and nowhere else to post it).
                            galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	1043221

Oops, I forgot to post these EPs. I got all the French ones & Robeson for 49p each (from Oxfam no less). They are all in nearly perfect condition.
                              Not really my thing - but so cheap and nice looking .. I had to have them.
                              The Oxfam is in a poor part of town ... and quite often sell good things cheaply.

I think I mentioned the Marvin Gaye Ep a while back. It's a £30 / £40 record so nice to find for a quid. At the same place (British Heart Foundation) I got the Beach Boys, Spencer Davis and Stones Eps for £1 each.

Oh - Beach Boys not pictured - it's the God Only Knows EP.
                              galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
                                Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1043218[.
                                Wow! Wham totally ripped off Glenn Branca and John Giorno!

Name:	220px-Whamfantastic.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1043223

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X