July 2018 finds.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 2018 finds.

Spent a few hours at the Luton Record Fair yesterday. 45's. Loot, Baby Come Closer/Baby Page one POF 013. 1966. MoonTrekkers, Moondust/The Bogey man.Decca F11714. Maurace Williams & The Zodiacs, Stay/Do you Believe. Top Rank JAR 526. 1960. Crykle, Turn Down Day/ Big Little Woman. CBS DEMO 202246. 1966. Pretty things, Cry To Me/Get a Buzz. Fontana TF 585. 1965. Troggs, Little Girl/Maybe The Madman. Page One POF 056. 1968.
    eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	1044589

Slowly building up my collection of these brilliant comps. Mad porros, gaitas, cumbias etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwx6si09gCk
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Slowly building up my collection of these brilliant comps. Mad porros, gaitas, cumbias etc
      Where do you find 'em?
      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Where do you find 'em?
        todocoleccion, mostly. I got three from there and picked up a couple more in the wild in Madrid and a junk shop in Vigo.
        As annual compilations, they seem to a bit more common than other Fuentes releases from the 60s, some of which only seem to exist on the inner sleeves of other records.
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Some newish things..... not all from July but the recent past anyway:

(I just remembered I've got a clutch of new reggae singles which also aren't from this month as such ... going back a few weeks .... but maybe I'll post 'em here anyway at some point.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	1044694Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	1044695Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	1044696Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	1044698Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	1044699Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	1044700
          Attached Files
          galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Some finds from the weekend. Popped into my local Oxfam as a break from unpacking boxes from a house move and building flat pack furniture. Came across the following;

Aly Bain and Mike Whellans - self titled LP in Trailer which is a bit fiddle centric on some tracks which turns me off to be honest but I'm really enjoying the Mike Whellans led tracks. I have a later LP of his (Dirt Water Fox) which sounds very different to this but intrigued to delve deeper, does anyone here know much about him?

Missa Luba - known Congolese LP. Lots of ethno folk action going on here. Enjoyed it on first listen and will need a bit more time to digest it as it's very different from what I normally pick up.

Edward Ramsbottom - Ideas 1 and Ideas 2. Got these at the car boot sale this morning as they have fantastic sleeves and were Craighall Studios pressings which I always pick up for local interest. These seem to be (mostly) spoken word LPs to put on alongside school books for helping children be creative (lots of stentorian 60s voices reading poetry and giving instructions). There is a really nice snippet of an ethno chiming track (a bit eastern/almost gamelan type sound) and a short folk track which is great along with some found sounds/field recordings peppering the LPs so I'll need to dip in to them a bit more to see what else they turn up as I've only managed a brief needle drop and now need to go and clean the shower of my old house before handing the keys over - the exiting lives we lead!

Comment

Selection from a decent clutch of reggae singles that were quite cheap. Some new re-presses and some originals. There's over 50. Most though were dancehall which perhaps aren't that interesting so haven't pictured them. (I buy them if they are cheap as the versions can sometimes be good.) I'm not particularly a fan of the 90s gutteral dancehall vocalists. Once in a while perhaps but a little bit goes a loooooong way.
              Fortunately there was a good batch of rootsy type things so was glad to just buy the lot off the bloke and get a deal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1044782Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	1044783Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	1044784Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	1044785Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	1044786Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	1044787Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	1044788Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	1044789Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	1044790Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	1044791Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.3 KB ID:	1044792

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
                Selection from a decent clutch of reggae singles that were quite cheap. Some new re-presses and some originals. There's over 50. Most though were dancehall which perhaps aren't that interesting so haven't pictured them. (I buy them if they are cheap as the versions can sometimes be good.) I'm not particularly a fan of the 90s gutteral dancehall vocalists. Once in a while perhaps but a little bit goes a loooooong way.
                Fortunately there was a good batch of rootsy type things so was glad to just buy the lot off the bloke and get a deal.
                Very nice too. For someone whose heart isn't really in in it anymore you certainly buy plenty of records, Brad! Agree with you about Dancehall- the lyrics can be a bit much too.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Well .... I'm an addict. I can't help it. I make exception for reggae as I lust after it on wax. It's ok on CD if cheap - but vinyl is still king for me.
                  I'm a mess of contradictions, I admit it. One day I'm into something and the next I'm off away into something else and it's forgotten.
                  I have no 'off' button and no dedication to any music style in particular. Just like to hear new things. That's the motivation.
                  The vinyl thing is a turn-off in the main as silly prices and greed have ruined the vibe for me (remembering how things were in the 70s, 80s, 90s).

I love bulk deals. I don;t know whether I mentioned the massive rockabilly collection of 7"s I bought several years ago.
                  I was picking em out one by one in the shop and then put em all back and bought the whole box. Over 300.
                  Mainly 70s represses and bootlegs but some originals. I think I paid 50p across but can't quite remember.
                  I'm still going through them!!!

Another big score was 200 gospel singles that belonged to James Hamilton. I scanned a few of these for the old DJ History forum and the folk there got quite excited as James's reviews and comments are written on the bags.
                  But - DJ History is no more and the imgs were all on photobucket which died a death. I could post an example if anyone is interested.
                  They are all 60s gospel 7"s... and I got them off my old boss in the record shop in Brighton. He got them from the James Hamilton auction (when JH died).

My scans were mentioned on this thread on Soul Source.
                  https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums...history-forum/
                  Sadly - as I say - the thread on DJH itself is no more.

Gone off topic. Train of consciousness.

Comment

A fella I know deals in all manner of 2nd hand stuff. He calls me up from time to time when he gets his hands on records. I got a nice deal on a big bunch last week. Very pleased indeed to pick up the Davy Graham LPs, plus the blues albums. Frank Frost has long been a favourite, so nice to have this reissue. Charlie Sayles is new to me and is great.

I just wish I could get into the jazz thing.... I couldn't turn these down, but try as I might I still just can't get it...... Maybe I should hold on to these and persevere

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1044805

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1044808Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1044803

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1044806

Name:	003.JPG
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1044807
                    Attached Files
                    http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
                    www.the-onyx.co.uk
                    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

^ Great score. Those two Evan Parker and Parker/Bennink/Bailey albums are pretty fly

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

todocoleccion, mostly. I got three from there and picked up a couple more in the wild in Madrid and a junk shop in Vigo.
                        As annual compilations, they seem to a bit more common than other Fuentes releases from the 60s, some of which only seem to exist on the inner sleeves of other records.
                        Ah you live in the country that makes them. That makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post

I just wish I could get into the jazz thing.... I couldn't turn these down, but try as I might I still just can't get it...... Maybe I should hold on to these and persevere

In which case get rid of the Parker/Bennink sharpish because that's just going to put you off. Jackie McLean's 'New And Old Gospel' is a great record so give that a go
                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Proper sweet jazz scores but yep 'Evan Parker' as an entry point is madness I tell you and as much I think he's a proper jazz legend and I'm really jealous of those two records among others in that haul, I vote for Trane - Ballads and just let his playing wash over you, great record.
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post

VERY nice score! I say that if listening to a piece of music doesn't make your body OR brain happy, you don't need it. Having said that, give 'em all a listen, and then decide.

The Bill Evans Dig It is a comp but it's got some good tracks on there ... don't know the Shelly Manne / Bill Evans LP so can't vouch for that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X