Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August 2018 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • August 2018 Finds

    Founds these at lunchtime today in a sweltering charity shop:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180801_165259.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1045398

    Pierre Henry 75 cents, Black Slate 1.75
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

  • #2
    And this rather unpromising looking pair of crates on the floor of a small charity shop I came across while on holiday last week (so this should really go in the July finds)...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	kring1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1045400

    Yielded the following (all originals) at a fiver each (tourist prices!):
    :

    Click image for larger version

Name:	kring2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1045401

    I presume these are all well known. If anyone wants any more details just ask.
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Milesago View Post
      And this rather unpromising looking pair of crates on the floor of a small charity shop I came across while on holiday last week (so this should really go in the July finds)...


      Yielded the following (all originals) at a fiver each (tourist prices!):
      :

      Click image for larger version

Name:	kring2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1045401

      I presume these are all well known. If anyone wants any more details just ask.
      Gawd blimey guvnor, that's a nice little haul and no mistake
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice one miles! I've never found Kraut in a chazza and 'Pierre Henry' is a great pull.
        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

        Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

        Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

        Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm stretching the term "finds" here to things I found on the doormat, as real life digging isn't an option for me at the moment - apart from a quick dash into a charity a few weeks ago which yielded two of the below. I also didn't "find" any of these in August (maybe August last year...) - my apologies!



          A couple of Fellow Travellers album (Jeb Loy Nichols / Martin 'Frederix' Harrison etc)




          The Kevin Shields remix of the Primals "If They Move Kill 'Em" and the Suns Of Arqa's "Seven" album, with John Cooper Clarke, Professor Stanley Unwin and Prince Hammer, amongst others




          My two real world finds: some Gregorian Chant and a very used "Tapestry Of British Bird Song"




          "Kakashi" by Yasuaki Shimizu (repress, unfortunately) and the Marta De Pascalis / Howlround "Hard Core" / "Her Core" Tapeworm 12"



          Spearhead - "Chocolate Supa Highway" - dates itself with the old 'dial-up internet' sound at the start of the first track - but a great album, and some remixes by Nik Void, JD Twitch, Sonic Boom and David Cunningham of the track "Around" from the Peter Gordon & Tim Burgess album "Same Language, Different Worlds". Haven't played this yet but the album is very enjoyable indeed and the CD version is available for the ridiculously cheap price of £2.99 from Piccadilly at the moment. Here's what they say about it:

          "Working with veteran composer and musician Peter Gordon, Tim explores more experimental / avant soundscapes, with his softly sung vocals floating over pulsing beats while keyboards bubble and whoosh, saxophones wail and trombone, congas and guitars drift in and out of the mix."




          A test press of African Head Charge's "Off The Beaten Track" album with original 'working titles' hand written on the labels. I asked Adrian Sherwood about it, and the Akabu test press below, and he confirmed the details, saying they were from the collection of an old friend of his who was selling all his vinyl. It's a bit hard to see on the scans, so we've got:

          Moslem (Off The Beaten Track) / Seaweed & Glass (Some Bizarre) / African Chant (Belinda) / Albert Einstein (Language & Mentality) / African Chant (2) (Throw It Away) / High Life (Conspiring) / End Of The World (Release The Doctor) / Aborigine (Down Under Again) / Medieval Crusade (Over The Sky)



          And from the same collection a test press of Akabu's ON-U MIX1 12" "Watch Yourself". Even when I had an On-U wants list this was never on it as the chances of finding one were slight, to say the least. This was the original version that never got past the test press stage before Sherwood took the tapes to New York to be worked on by Tom Silverman and Double Dee & Steinski, for eventual release on the Body Rock label. Some copies came with a folded proof sleeve but alas not this one



          And I was also very pleased to get this copy of the New Age Steppers' "My Love" 12" test press that did come with a folded proof sleeve, though the seller didn't mention this in the listing. It was folded inside out when it arrived so maybe they hadn't even noticed it?


          North of the River Cole

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RedX View Post

            The Kevin Shields remix of the Primals "If They Move Kill 'Em"
            That's rather good, I wish I knew where my copy was :-(

            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

            Comment


            • #7
              Pierre Henry on Youtube. Testing my patience a bit once over 3 minutes or so.

              What do you make of it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RedX View Post
                A test press of African Head Charge's "Off The Beaten Track" album with original 'working titles' hand written on the labels. I asked Adrian Sherwood about it, and the Akabu test press below, and he confirmed the details, saying they were from the collection of an old friend of his who was selling all his vinyl. It's a bit hard to see on the scans, so we've got:

                And from the same collection a test press of Akabu's ON-U MIX1 12" "Watch Yourself". Even when I had an On-U wants list this was never on it as the chances of finding one were slight, to say the least. This was the original version that never got past the test press stage before Sherwood took the tapes to New York to be worked on by Tom Silverman and Double Dee & Steinski, for eventual release on the Body Rock label. Some copies came with a folded proof sleeve but alas not this one
                Pretty cool!! eBay? How does the Akabu ON-U mix sound?
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A few things that came from a variety of sources. First of all - a massive box of vinyl (1st pic).......

                  Ha ha not really! Of course - it's the Monty Python Instant Record Collection with the fold-out sleeve. I've always wanted one of these (for unknown reasons really) and when I saw it today in a chazzer I jumped on it (not literally). The woman in the shop looked mildly curious... but when I tried to explain what it was and fold it out to show her.... I FAILED to erect it and ended up looking a bit daft. The minor interest she had expressed melted away.

                  I got into more problems in another charity shop when, as usual I picked some CDs from the '4 for 99p' section and the woman behind the counter said they were more than that. When I pointed out the sign and said I was always in buying them... she argued with me. I tried to persuade her that all was legit.... but then thought "what the hell am I doing, arguing about 25p CDs in a charity shop", so I gave up, laughed and put them back and left feeling rather aggrieved, I think she thought I was engaged in some sort of scam.

                  The Fuschia album came from Fruits De Mer, I haven't listened to it yet but it looks like a nice package.

                  Pebbles 10 on orange vinyl w/o a sleeve. Cheap it was though.

                  A few reissues that came from local 2nd hand shops.::::::: Baris Manco, Voodoo Party on University of Vice, Hunger (sub-Doors psych), Sarg rockabilly comp, New Lou Reeds (recommended By J Cope, first track is good, the rest, not so much, maybe I'll get into it).

                  The Jack Costanza Bongo Fever Lp was quite a good find as it's perfect nick. Singing Detective from the same chazzer is also pristine.

                  Finally - a good haul of CDs, mainly classical but some other bits and pieces .... all 50p each. Now, whichever way you cut it ..... a three CD set of Wagner's Der Fliegende Holländer for 50 pence has to be a bargain surely? Check out the other titles .... Purcell, Schoenberg, Satie, Borodin, Shostakovich, Brahms, Faure, Rameau, Nielsen..... mostly good issues too ... all 50p.
                  Plus - some dubstep, Esquivel, Wormsblood (?) ...

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	1045426Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	1045427Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	1045428Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	1045429Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	1045430Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	1045431Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	1045433Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	77.2 KB ID:	1045434Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	1045435Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	1045436Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	1045437
                  Last edited by bradx; 02-08-2018, 08:27 PM.
                  galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	3
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1045440 Forgot the Fuschia. So here it is.
                    galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know Cds are crap but I'm quite pleased with these, so made the pic a bit bigger. The 4CD box sets of Louis Armstrong and Lester Young were £1.99 and 99p respectively, the rest were 50p.

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	1045443
                      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bradx View Post
                        I know Cds are crap but I'm quite pleased with these, so made the pic a bit bigger. The 4CD box sets of Louis Armstrong and Lester Young were £1.99 and 99p respectively, the rest were 50p.

                        Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	1045443
                        Maybe there's the odd vinyl snob on here but I'll take my music where I find it. I buy tons more CDs in charity shops than vinyl.

                        Just these last few weeks I've picked up George Melly "Nuts/Son of Nuts" double set, two each by Gong and Ash Ra, filled four holes in my Neil Young collection (Tonight's the Night, Old Ways, This Note's for You, Dead Man), Dylan "'Albert Hall' Concert" (surprisingly it's bloody good), Columbia's the (no longer) Complete Robert Johnson set, Esquivel "Infinity In Sound 2" (his best album) and a album each of outsider electronica by Dan Deacon and Bruce Haack which makes me wonder what else I might be missing out on in said shop.

                        Obviously I'd rather have them on LP (already have in the case of Melly's "Nuts") but, beggars can't be choosers and all that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yes, I meant 'expensive CDs are crap' ... cheap CDs are great.
                          The price inflation that affects vinyl in chazzers is now afflicting CDs though.
                          I saw a Richie Havens 'best of' type CD comp today, with some tracks I don't know.... so I thought "I'll have that for 50p".... but it was £8.50.
                          On what planet is a slightly beaten-up Richie Havens CD comp worth £8.50?? There's nothing to be gained from pointing out their strange pricing strategies, so I just move on.
                          Here's another batch of cheap CDs from earlier in the week.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	502.7 KB ID:	1045452
                          galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bradx View Post
                            Yes, I meant 'expensive CDs are crap' ... cheap CDs are great.
                            The price inflation that affects vinyl in chazzers is now afflicting CDs though.
                            I saw a Richie Havens 'best of' type CD comp today, with some tracks I don't know.... so I thought "I'll have that for 50p".... but it was £8.50.
                            On what planet is a slightly beaten-up Richie Havens CD comp worth £8.50?? There's nothing to be gained from pointing out their strange pricing strategies, so I just move on.
                            Here's another batch of cheap CDs from earlier in the week.

                            Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	502.7 KB ID:	1045452
                            I hope you're going to live forever, Brad.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bradx View Post
                              I got into more problems in another charity shop when, as usual I picked some CDs from the '4 for 99p' section and the woman behind the counter said they were more than that. When I pointed out the sign and said I was always in buying them... she argued with me. I tried to persuade her that all was legit.... but then thought "what the hell am I doing, arguing about 25p CDs in a charity shop", so I gave up, laughed and put them back and left feeling rather aggrieved, I think she thought I was engaged in some sort of scam..
                              You should inform her that what they are doing is illegal and they could be prosecuted by Trading Standards. Charity shop or not - if you put a price on something, that's the price you have to sell it at. If Tesco have to abide by this rule, I don't see why chazzas should be exempt. You can always top up with a donation if you feel you've got a bargain....
                              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X