X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September Finds 2018

45s
    Y Diliau - Blodeuwedd 1973 50p
    Female Welsh folk group. Not my normal type of thing but something I have been getting into with the harmony of the Welsh language.
    Jones Girls- Nights over Egypt £1
    Bert Weedon Quartet -Watch your step/Safe and sound - Crescendo 50p
    An odd rock n roll record from the early 70s, one side giving advice to children on crossing the road and the other side warning children against strangers... which these days tend to be known as paedophiles.

Bought 4 lps yesterday for £2
    Tommy Hunt - A sign of the times
    Never really got into Tommy Hunt and was always mildly annoyed if he was playing at a northern soul venue I was going to rather than pleased.
    Barry Mann - Lay it all out.
    Liking the version of - On Broadway on here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwf0nksVpuY
    Michael Polnareff- Polnareff,s
    Only listened quickly at min but quite like the Computers Dream track when it gets going
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZndPjJAKo
    Dana Gillespie- Box of surprises- Decca- Stereo
    A box of surprises it certainly was....

Went to Madrid´s rastro looking for rumba and came back with these.

This reissue contains Los Amaya first 2 lps. First lp is a classic, 2nd still solid but with less great songs.

Bambino plays 2 rumbas here, but his flamenco way of singing kills the songs a bit (IMHO). Gitanos Y Flamencos is a record from 1961 and sounds quite raw. Has 2 rumbas that predates rumba catalana but, again, the voice is too flamenco for my taste. Vinyl is blue!

Peret´s single from 1991, it´s ok, gone is the simplicity of rumba, now there is a full band behind. Bordon 4 is also ok, more the lyrics than the music.

Amina goes disco. Still not sure if I like it. Mikaela´s single really surprised me. I bought it from the song "Rio Manzanares", hoping it was the Colombian river she was referring to, not the Spanish one. The back cover didn´t helped much. Glad I bought it.

Las Grecas needs no presentation, not exactly rumba, more like a full frontal fuzz attack with heavy drums and their voices added to the mix.

I also got these 3 singles from Topolino Radio Orquesta, an 80´s band from Spain that did covers of 20´s songs. After being in Madrid I went to Bilbao´s fiestas and they were playing there!

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by Taze View Post
      I think we still say OOOF 'round these parts.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Taze View Post
        45s
        Y Diliau - Blodeuwedd 1973 50p
        Female Welsh folk group. Not my normal type of thing but something I have been getting into with the harmony of the Welsh language.
        Jones Girls- Nights over Egypt £1
        Bert Weedon Quartet -Watch your step/Safe and sound - Crescendo 50p
        An odd rock n roll record from the early 70s, one side giving advice to children on crossing the road and the other side warning children against strangers... which these days tend to be known as paedophiles.

Bought 4 lps yesterday for £2
        Tommy Hunt - A sign of the times
        Never really got into Tommy Hunt and was always mildly annoyed if he was playing at a northern soul venue I was going to rather than pleased.
        Barry Mann - Lay it all out.
        Liking the version of - On Broadway on here.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwf0nksVpuY
        Michael Polnareff- Polnareff,s
        Only listened quickly at min but quite like the Computers Dream track when it gets going
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZndPjJAKo
        Nice job with the Dilliau Taze..... lovely stuff a favorite on my turntable
        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post

Amina goes disco. Still not sure if I like it. Mikaela´s single really surprised me. I bought it from the song "Rio Manzanares", hoping it was the Colombian river she was referring to, not the Spanish one. The back cover didn´t helped much. Glad I bought it.

]
          I'm quite fond of that Amina record. Usually an Arabic touch on her records (Las Grecas arabic tunes are my faves, too), and her bonkers version of Yellow Submarine always cheers me up.

I've never heard of Mikaela, but I enjoyed that, too. Bambino's fine with me, a big, preening flamenco Elvis.

I've always steered well clear of Radio Topolino, but I'm pleased the car still exists. You're standing next to genuine, living Spanish cheapie-bin history.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

'YS' not a track I am fond of. But I'd rate that version as better than the slightly ponderous original.

Like the car too.

Comment

Some discs I picked up just before I went to Spain last week and a few I picked up earlier today.

An OST for a film I admit I've never seen but if the music/dialogue on it is anything to go by I don't think I've missed much.

Test pressing for the LP that came out in the 80's with kids singing pop hits on a TV show, the original record is a charity shop classic.

The first of several albums released by this Corby based school band.

Both of the original 78rpm discs of this mix of music/narration were together in the same box as the Mini-Pops

This was a nice find, a unique sleeve for the record that was offering employees of the M Wholesale Group an opportunity
              to go on a 4 day holiday to Majorca. I couldn't find any more info on this once in a lifetime competition.

the record inside

A twice signed 7" but the great botanist - I had to double check he was still alive too and happily he is!

A personally recorded 5" disc recorded in seaside booth "in Weymouth Pier" probably in the 60's.

A nice mid-70's folk album, the guy I bought this from told me he still keeps in touch with the singer
              so I gave him my email and told him to let him know I'd have him in for an acoustic session if he's interested.

a couple of other old albums with lovely gate-fold sleeves I bought from the same bloke

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

..oops deleted this by mistake
                Last edited by bongolia; 12-09-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

My understanding is that John Golding was the man behind the Cottage label, an interesting 70s Folk imprint, and the label your album find is on. RYM has it differently, so...
                  https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

I have a copy of that John Golding album too, must give it another spin.
                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I picked up some nice original pressings at the car boots this morning

The final album by The Move who had been reduced to Roy, Bev and Jeff by 1971

A double compilation album from 1970 on Blue Horizon

A lovely laminated UK first pressing with a numbered booklet

It's unusual to come across a record that I can't find anything about online or the mandolin player John Dorsett or indeed any of the other folk on it,
                      but this is one of those albums, unless anyone knows more?

I am old enough to have a soft spot for Kojak on Saturday night TV as a kid, but still wish I'd come across a Star Trek or Batman edition of this comic/album edition

Best find of the week for just a £1 was this Sci-Fi movie s/t composed by David Campbell, I checked out his CV and he's worked on so
                      many records from Adele to McCartney and composed soundtracks from Boogie Nights to World War Z, and he's also the father of Beck!
                      I am too tempted to find a download of this to be honest and keep it as I found it, sealed!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Cult film, it would seem. And LP sought after in certain circles (esp. before the recent reissue I would imagine). Oooof?

Comment

Amazing film, not so sure about the OST. Also, this isn't the instrumental movie score by Beck's dad as such, but a compilation of songs used in the motion picture. I found the UK copy at a record fair and punted in on, certainly worth a wedge sealed but probably not a keeper for the musical content, I'd suggest. Sell it and buy the blu-ray.

Needless to say if I'd found a sealed copy for a quid, it would have made my week too though!

Comment

Watched it a couple of years ago, and trying to remember the score now - was it synthy? I liked the film, but I think some of the songs were a bit ropey. They hide out in a radio station so, if I remember, some of the music is just pop tracks that the station would play

Comment

Yeah, sounds pretty synthy, with some period guitar wanking - the whole film is on Youtube and I just had a quick skim through.

Sounds OK in context, but unremarkable - probably the reason neither of us recalled it. If I had been doing a reissue of the OST, I'd have issued a 2nd LP with the instrumental score on it though, as well as the 80's pop gubbins on the first LP...

Comment

Working...
                              X