October Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October Finds

3 mysterious cases offered to me unopened at a garage sale - I couldn't resist so took a £20 punt on them, with mixed results...

Among an awful lot of rubbish I dug out a few gems including these 3 decent compilations.

The title of this turned out to be better than the Dutch band's music on it.

A nice early solo album by the great Bonzo's & Monty Python singer.

Along with dozen Slade & Elton John albums was this nearly mint copy of just the one T.Rex album.

I thought this selection of Stones albums might be the best of the bunch until I turned up an album in a plain white card sleeve.

A private pressing from '73 featuring various folk acts I contacted my friend Wild Willy Barrett who features
    un-credited on the last track on side 1 and he replied "it was recorded at Turville Heath folk club run by Len Harman.
    The club was held on a Dutch barn full of hay and straw bales with milk churns full of hot water for heating."

The Garden Facebook Blog

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1046650

Munir Bechir - Babylon Mood - couldn't resist a $30 BIN. Nice album, but has a sort of cold sound - doesn't really match the sunny sleeve. An online review of another of his albums described it as "austere" and I think that fits. First comparison that came to mind for me was a oud CD on ECM
    Belly Dance With Omar Korshid and his Magic Guitar - Volume 2 - another on the EMI Voix De L'Orient series, and the other end of the spectrum in style. There's three volumes of this. Presumably the first person in Lebanon with an effects pedal and he got his money's worth. This was from the big Victoria record fair a few weeks ago, and the only pricey one. Apart from the Trunk LP for a tenner, the rest were all from the bargain bins...
    Ventures in Space - great! don't have much by the Ventures (don't see the interesting ones too often)
    Balkana - the Music of Bulgaria - Joe Boyd recorded world music. Bit over-minimalist 80s sleeve. Usual stuff - some nice unaccompanied vocals, bagpipes, etc.

Name:	
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1046651

Some more exotica - one stall had some interesting stuff in the bargain boxes, including US folk and Hawaiian LPs, the portable came in very handy.
    Phil Moore - Polynesian Paradise - almost missed this, from the bland sleeve it just looks like a typical Hawaiian LP from about 1970, but it's prime exotica from 1959 and really good (also had been on my wantlist for a while). Some interesting arrangements. Could lose the choir on a couple of tracks though.
    Lanakila's Polynesians - Polynesian Pot-Pourri - one of those LPs from a Hawaiian show, but surprisingly good
    The Beat of Tahiti - more ethnographic, just drums
    Haunani - Moon Of the Southern Seas - Hawaiian singer, her full name is Kahaunaniomaunakeakkauiokalewa Kahalewai ! Have another of her albums which is alright, this probably better, nice and mellow

Name:	
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1046648

Psychic Film and TV - this was sealed, in a soundtracks box and looked intriguing. Turns out to be a modern Warner/Chappell library LP of electronica stuff. Not good enough to keep though
    Classroom Projects - never got round to getting this on release
    Penguin Café Orchestra - a US issue, from that folk box. Happy to find this cheap, have 3 others from charity shops years ago, but this was eluding me
    Lougarou - proggy/folk Canadian album

Name:	
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1046645

Pete Laity - A Rash Adventure and True Dare Kiss or Promise - these looked the business - 12 string guitar, bad self-drawn sleeves. They don't disappoint, good instrumental guitar LPs. There is a terrible vocal on the first though
    Richard Johnson - Plum Island - this was recommended recently on Waxidermy in a solo guitar thread
    John Renbourn - The Black Balloon - I need more of his, only have 2 other non-Pentangle LPs I think. Someone at work is a big fan - he used to go to annual guitar workshops with him

Name:	
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1046646

Alex Taylor - Dinnertime - Southern rock. Wasn't going to keep this, but gave it a second spin and liked it that time. Does a nice Howlin' Wolf cover, and that helps a lot. I think he's James Taylor's brother.
    Clannad - Dúlamán - their third album I think. Pretty good I think, going to look out for the 2 previous ones now. Better than the "Harry's Game" era tape I inherited from my granny
    Mike Seeger, Tom Paley, John Cohen - Sing Songs Of The New Lost City Ramblers - saw Tom Paley a few times before he died, but this is the first time I'd heard any of the New Lost City Ramblers stuff. Alright but probably not a keeper. All covers of songs on 78s (the label and catalogue number are listed by each)
    The Westerners ft Bill Edwards - Steel Appeal - the great sleeve and presence of "Taboo" tempted me. Besides that they also have a go at Tico Tico, Spanish Eyes etc, which is a bit different to the usual Westwood fare.

Name:	
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1046647

The Artie Kornfield Tree - A Time To Remember! - psych thing from one of the guys who put on Woodstock.
    The Nickel Bag Doing Their Love Thing - more cheapo psych
    The Young Idea - had in my head this would be folkier, but actually sleeve notes say about how they were determined not to be another folk duo. 60s pop with full arrangements. Not bad, but doesn't have their best b-side on
    Sam Sklair - Gumboot Dance - sort of South African version of "Swingin' Safari". some more authentic parts with actual African instruments etc, but is still very much on the cheese side of things. I think earlier issues have a saucier gatefold sleeve

Name:	
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1046649

Jimmy Ponder - jazz but not played yet
    Harry "Sweets" Edison - French release of the Seven Eleven album, with the 10 minute version of Ode to Billie Joe which is about 30% drum breaks
    Jimmy Smith - Livin' It Up - actually this was from a local charity, a bit well-loved
    The Avon Cities - Blue Funk - sort of trad group, but not the usual material, and they do a good version of Aquarius

Comment

Cacapo included a track from the Munir Bechir on his 2017 CD swap. One of the highlights of the year, for me. I forked out for a CD of the LP shortly afterwards.

Comment

I do like a bit of the old oud. Tried to have a purge of my middle-eastern shelf the other day, but I think only managed to find one reject so far, and ended up thinking "oh I'd forgotten how good this one was" to a lot of the others

Comment

Omar Korshid a bit sought after, I see. Not quite in 'Rhythms of the Orient' league, but still. Care to say any more about it?

Comment

The Country Roads To Turville Folk album was issued with a paper sheet affixed to the cover. Actually, I have two different ones, so it's possible that they had one on the front and one on the back. Or they could have had a 2nd pressing, and changed the sheet for it. Anyway, there's a website out there with some info on the record.
            Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-10-2018, 09:47 PM.
            https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

thanks for the info mct, I picked this organ heavy album up at the car boot this morning, there was nowt on Discogs
              but good old xxxrecords flogged a copy recently - https://www.popsike.com/SKIPPER-Soun...436819985.html
              with the guy claiming it features Brian May of Queen - I reckon that is bollocks as the credits on the rear of the sleeve credit Bryan May
              it's curious anyway, anyone know more?

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Yeah in 1979 he thought screw this 'Queen' lark I'm going to join 'Skipper' and put out a private press. Still all that nonsense netted him 30 odd quid give or take. 'Skipper' is such a clubland name puts you in mind of matching pink suits and bow ties. Are they ''Progressive' as he claims?

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                thanks for the info mct, I picked this organ heavy album up at the car boot this morning, there was nowt on Discogs
                but good old xxxrecords flogged a copy recently - https://www.popsike.com/SKIPPER-Soun...436819985.html
                with the guy claiming it features Brian May of Queen - I reckon that is bollocks as the credits on the rear of the sleeve credit Bryan May
                it's curious anyway, anyone know more?

Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                  . Are they ''Progressive' as he claims?
                  ahh, no

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

xxxrecords , got to be the most nauseating over exaggerating over describer of a record anywhere online do they really think this bullshit earns them more money

On offer here is a VERY rare LP (especially in this condition!!!!) by Skipper called "The Sounds Of Skipper" and is an ORIGINAL 1979 UK 1st Pressing on the 1st Press Zella label!!!! THIS LP IS SERIOUSLY RARE AND VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE RAREST LPs ON THE ZELLA LABEL - AND VIRTUALLY NEVER TURNS UP FOR SALE!!!! JUST TRY AND FIND ANOTHER ONE!!!! BACK IN 1979 WHEN THIS LP WAS FIRST RELEASED - IT WAS SELF PRESSED BY THE BAND (PRIVATE PRESSING ONLY!), WITH ONLY 200-300 COPIES EVER BEING MADE!!!! AS A RESULT IT IS SERIOUSLY RARE AND INCREDIBLY HARD TO LOCATE TODAY!!!! THIS LP IS ALSO VERY SOUGHT AFTER INDEED AS IT FEATURES BRIAN MAY - WHO ALSO WROTE ONE OF THE TRACKS!!!!

NOT ONLY THAT BUT THIS LP IS IN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME CONDITION - AND HAS BARELY BEEN PLAYED AT ALL!!!! JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES!!!! THIS IS THE ORIGINAL 1979 UK 1ST PRESSING ON THE 1ST PRESS ZELLA LABEL, 1ST PRESS INNER SLEEVE, 1ST PRESS 1/1 MATRIXES, AND 1ST PRESS 'PAGE THE PRINTER' COVER!!!! THIS LP IS SERIOUSLY RARE AND VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND LIKE THIS - SO DONT MISS OUT ON THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY!!!! This is the ORIGINAL Zella UK 1st Pressing from 1979 and is in AWESOME condition!!!! The record is pressed on THICK quality vinyl. The Cat. No is JHLPS 245 on the ORIGINAL 1st Press Zella label (see picture) and is a UK Stereo 1st Pressing (there were NO Monos!)!!!!

The record labels are in SUPERB condition (see pictures) with NO wear, NO writing, and barely ANY spindle marks AT ALL!!!! IT IS VERY CLEAR THAT THIS RECORD HAS BARELY BEEN PLAYED AT ALL!!!! The vinyl is in absolutely AWESOME condition!!!! Most of these 60s/70s LPs had been to a lot of wild parties and are usually found totally worn out, and almost unplayable. This one is NOT and has NO scratches, NO hairlines, NO scufflines, only 2 or 3 absolutely ULTRA light TINY surface traces, and only a VERY few of the lightest paper scuffs only visible under light!!!! ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!! THE RECORD STILL RETAINS ITS ORIGINAL 'JUST PRESSED' LOOK AND LOOKS AMAZING!!!! It is also great to find that the record plays as STUNNINGLY as the visual with NO pops, NO sticking, NO jumps, and barely ANY crackle AT ALL!!!! The sound quality is simply SUPERB with NO distortion and NO groovewear either!!!! The record must grade MINT(Minus)!!!! AWESOME RECORD!!!! Believe me this record is NOT overgraded in ANY way!!!! I use STRICT RC grading standards - it is not in my interest not to!!!! Brillant!!!! The record also comes in its ORIGINAL 1st Press inner sleeve which is in SUPERB condition!!!! The ORIGINAL 1st Press 'Page The Printer' Cover is in absolutely STUNNING condition!!!! It has NO edge wear, NO spinal wear, NO splits, only VERY slight corner wear, NO sticker marks, NO sticker tears, only a VERY few light creases (cover is VERY flat looking indeed!), NO rips, NO tears, NO annotations, and NO writing!!!! The opening edge is beautifully straight with barely ANY feathering AT ALL!!!! Even the textured back of the cover is in STUNNING condition with NO yellowing, NO grubbyness, and NO writing (apart from a TINY 1 letter correction on the cover back - no doubt by the band themselves!)!!!! The cover must grade Excellent+ if not better!!!! SUPERB COVER!!!! THIS LP IS SERIOUSLY RARE AND VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND LIKE THIS - SO DONT MISS OUT ON THIS INCREDIBLE OPPORTUNITY!!!!

Comment

you have to admit he must copy & paste this same bullshit for EVERY RECORD HE EVER SELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO HE'S SERIOUS ABOUT WHAT HE DOES,
                      even if he does shout rather a lot
                      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                        xxxrecords , got to be the most nauseating over exaggerating over describer of a record anywhere online do they really think this bullshit earns them more money
                        Well... obviously that bullshit DOES earn them more money. I've sold to him, stuff I've listed as being near mint, final upgrade blah blah blah. He's got it, listed it the same day it's arrived and sold it for over double what he paid - think most of his stock is just bought off ebay and re-sold, weird business model but seems to work...
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Picked up two 10-inch jazz records in one of my local chazzas that I knew nothing about which looked interesting: Ladd's Black Aces. Having done a bit of research, they appear to be private presses done by the famous jazz preservationist John R T Davies and released on his Ristic and Bateau Chinois imprints in 1970 and 1971. They are early recordings of the Dixieland outfit from 1920s New York, originally issued on shellac 78s. And likely to have been pressed in a release of 99 copies to avoid tax. Fascinating stuff. Found this interview with the great man: http://www.vjm.biz/articles9.htm

Comment

Brilliant interview and very interesting person, I love his attitude.
                            ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

A midweek charity shop trawl has turned up some very odd unexpected vinyl. I can only assume it's because most folks are at work
                              that these records were either still in the racks or waiting by the counter (a smile and a bit of cheek can go a long way with ladies of a certain age)

A fresh batch of albums had "just been put out this morning" at 49p a pop, how could I resist?

I had no idea what this was but it was cheap and I liked the sleeve so I took a punt, turns out to be a lovely Brazillian LP

A box of records that had just been put out was full of Bowie/Prince/Tangerine Dream albums along with a shit load of picture discs...

...along with this Joy Division double album which I was very surprised to find as it still had it's ribbon and outer sleeve,
                              there was a bit of water damage to the front of it but I was hardly going to put it back now was I?!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X