October Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more ...

- Luciano Berio ‎– Visage, Sequenza III, Cinque Variazioni, Circles - Absolutely perfectly bonkers, a very nice surprise, with Cathy Berberian.
    - Chick Corea And Gary Burton* ‎– In Concert, Zürich, October 28, 1979 ... cheap double LP with obi strip, one side scratched but not audible ... BARGAIN! ... some nice stuff when i'm in the mood for this kind of thing
    - Sakiko Tamagawa, Reiko Tateno ‎– Nee Moomin - bit of fun kids music ... always makes the Mrs smile
    - The Apples In Stereo ‎– Science Faire - disappointing ---> out pile
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I can't really justify this but Moomins really freak me out. Some of my pupils know this and a former pupil who is now an artist/designer presented me with a picture of a Moomin in bondage gear they found in a magazine and thought of me! I think I've lost it somewhere along the line thankfully as it was deeply distressing!!

Comment

Was heading into work late and popped into a local charity to see if they had anything new, and in a load of typical pop 45s (Gary Glitter etc) there was a Columbia big-A demo of The Sneekers - I Just Can't Go To Sleep / Bald Headed Woman, Jimmy Page's fuzz guitar on the b-side supposedly inspiring Pete Townshend. (Won't keep it if it cleans up, so shout if of trading interest)

Only other things of interest were quite a random assortment: a mediocre Dandy rocksteady 45 on Giant, a Johnny Morris flexidisc (advertising Mediterranean holidays), and Bill Kenwright - Sugar Man / Epitaph on Fontana (looked him up and is one in Agnes' territory - has quite a busy career: started in Coronation Street, produced huge West End shows (Blood Brothers, Joseph, etc) and is now Chairman of Everton FC. A-side is awful, B-side isn't too bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deo7Acw04Ws

oh and Rex Garvin - Sock It To 'Em JB on Atlantic, which I really wanted 20 years ago, now not so much but couldn't leave it. A BeeGees penned record by a group called Marbles looked like it might have potential but just checked youtube and leaving it was the right decision

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
          There's a touch of John Shuttleworth about that. I can just see him hunched over his Yamaha, punching the air in the chorus.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Over in Day To Day Digging Pics the other day I said I would post my small haul from our recent holiday in New England.

Very little time was spent searching for vinyl but I still managed to come back with a few and in fact just one more album would have probably nudged us into excess baggage territory so that was well judged.

Big ones:

Sonny Fortune – Serengeti Minstrel
            Sonny Fortune – Infinity Is
            Gerald Wilson – You Better Believe It
            John Handy Concert Ensemble – Projections
            Chico Freeman - Peaceful Heart, Gentle Spirit

All these from Mystery Train in Gloucester MA. Limited myself to looking for artists I was somewhat familiar with due to lack of time. Sonny and Gerald have been new discoveries for me in the last 12 months, so keen to get more. Chico I had been about to pay double what I got this copy for on ebay. Gerald and John both in a Big Band setting which is doing it for me lately.

Eddie Harris – Come On Down
            Jackie Wilson – Higher And Higher

Eddie came from Revolution Records in Conway, NH. So surprised to stumble across a record shop there. Only spent 10 minutes in the shop but felt I had to buy something.

Jackie was $1 from a thrift shop in a village in NH that shares my surname. Chuffed with that.

Alice Cooper – School's Out. Donated by our wonderful AirBnB host in Providence after I told her it was one of favourite albums from my childhood but an album I had only ever had on cassette – when cassettes became all the rage School's Out had been the first one I bought.

Little Ones:

From Mystery Train.

Bettye Swann – My Heart Is Closed For The Season. Such a great record, this is a small upgrade on my copy.
            Robert Parker – Barefooting / Let's Go Baby
            Naomi & Harris – You're My Baby
            Dee Dee Warwick – Lover's Chant
            Shirely Ellis – That's What The Nitty Gritty Is.
            A freebie as Tim the counter guy noticed a small crack by the label.
            Archie Bell & The Drells – I Love My Baby
            Bobby Powell – I'm Gonna Leave You
            Johnny & Jon – Why Did You Leave Me
            Lowell Fulsom – My Baby
            Lowell Fulsom – The Thing
            Grace Jones – Sorry.
            not in picture

From Olympic in Providence

Lee Rogers – Love Can Really Hurt You Deep
            Lee Rogers – My One And Only
            Five Flights Up – Do What You Wanna Do
            Joe Tex – Buying A Book

From the Emporium (consignment shop, sweet shop, and clothes shop) in Sandwich, MA
            Last day of the holiday and we were just working our way back up to Boston from Cape Cod. Stopped in Sandwich for.. a sandwich. Actually no, just for a mooch around some nice shops where my wife was on the look out for earrings. I wasn't thinking about records. Wandered into this Emporium and found a box of singles. Came away with six singles, all in great condition. They were $5 each but three at least were real bargains I was really chuffed to find. A proper dig.

Betty Lavette – Stand Up Like A Man.
            June Conquest – Take Care
            Major Lance – Without A Doubt

also
            The Artistics – Nothing But Heartaches
            Gene Chandler – The Girl Don't Care.
            Thought maybe I had this already , and I do.
            The Last Word – Can't Stop Loving You. Wasn't convinced this was Soul, and it isn't, never mind.

Comment

I haven't been on here for a while so I just wanted to say hi to everyone. Hope you have been good.

The past couple of weeks I've been going through my records, moving stuff around and trying to improve on my 'filing system'. While I've been reading through this thread, there's been a few times where I see the finds and think 'I just put that same record on the shelf last week'! Hollins And Star and Bo Hansson come to mind.

Anyway, I can't remember ever hearing that De Maskers 45 before, but both sides are really nice. Great find.
              See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post

Someone was selling a DJ box full of 7"s at £2 each. I got quite late but still found these ones lurking there. Lots of Dance Hall and Lovers rock left, but nothing I knew or tickled my curiosity.
                that Dennis Brown "Should I" is great, didn't know that

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                  Haven't posted in a while, so here are some recentish finds. Sorry for any repeaters.

Btw I dunno why the pics look like small stamps.
                  You can insert the attached images at various sizes into the post if you go back and click on "Edit" after posting

Comment

Always been one of my favourite reggae tracks. I think the same version is on the Words Of Wisdom album. Dennis Brown was such a soulful singer.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
                      [B]Betty Lavette – Stand Up Like A Man.
                      Looks like you had a fun trip candiman... good stuff all round, and some proper bargains too.
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

Always been one of my favourite reggae tracks. I think the same version is on the Words Of Wisdom album. Dennis Brown was such a soulful singer.
                        Yeah, there´s something about his voice.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                          There was also a promo Tizer drink flexi-disc I had not come across before, complete with T-Shirt offer + stickers
                          The music on this is I think by Godley and Creme, during a spell in the early 80s when they were doing advert jingles (sadly the one they did for the Alliance Building Society has not appeared on record to my knowledge.)

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                            I can't really justify this but Moomins really freak me out. Some of my pupils know this and a former pupil who is now an artist/designer presented me with a picture of a Moomin in bondage gear they found in a magazine and thought of me! I think I've lost it somewhere along the line thankfully as it was deeply distressing!!
                            Oh, not Moomins in bondage again ... DO NOT SEARCH for Moomins Scatology on the Internet!

DO NOT!!!
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                              This, perhaps?

Or these?

http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
                              http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

Working...
                              X