December 2018 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2018 Finds

I could have sworn a December Finds thread had already started but I can't find one so...

Two from my closest charity shop this week

Hugo Montenegro and Orchestra - Arriba! Many tracks have promise but then Hugo manages to spoil things by over egging the strings and brass. El Gato Montes is quite good and it seems somebody else thought so to as it is marked on the back cover. The original of this was released in 1960, this I think is a reissue but still from the 60s I think. Hard to believe , the gatefold sleeve and the record are both in fantastic shape.

This Is Chet Atkins. A double album and plenty to enjoy on here. Delightful is a word that comes to mind. I am becoming a fan of Chet. (I think I'm getting old, no, I know I'm getting old). Side 3 is particularly strong, liking his takes on Both Sides Now, Django's Castle and Ode To Billy Joe.

Chet Atkins?!
    Your pipe and slippers await!
    Can I recommend the Inspector Morse box set?

Hang on, was this a hoax?
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
      Chet Atkins?!
      Your pipe and slippers await!

Hang on, was this a hoax?
      Very generous of you, my slippers are falling apart and I'm not sure I can wait to see what Santa might bring . I'm sure I could find use for the pipe too, especially if it helps restore our heating system which has just about given up. (any central heating experts amongst us? It's not a boiler problem).

I have a Morse album, didn't know there was a box set , must put that on the chrissy list

No hoax actually. I believe there has been some love shown for Chet here before, especially his collabs with Jerry Reed.

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post

A superfluous recommendation. Everybody knows this is brilliant. 'Lewis' is equally good.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

A big box of singles turned up at the auction with some nice bits that I either didn't already have
          or just liked the look of, there were lots of 60's pop/rock but these ones caught my interest more.

An unusual Xmas related 7" on a great looking label I had no knowledge of, I had kinda hoped the John Carr Quintet might be
          somehow related to the legendary Jazz man Ian Carr but despite Ian actually having a brother it turns out his name is Chris,
          damn... and I couldn't find out anything online about this band or release.

Original UK EP from 1958

I have Yin & Yan's album which has some great spoken word samples, this promo 7" has the same 2 tracks
          on each side for shops to give vinyl the hard sell from your local friendly record pusher.

UK promo from 1973

An obscure 60's TV theme from the guy behind Jason King, The Avengers etc

great old card sleeve from the early 60's - I assume it is as it had Gerry & The Pacemakers in it!

half a dozen odds 'n' ends

Mildly amusing record from 1982 - signed by the band of merry men

Sadly not signed but on nice clear vinyl and a poster sleeve with a bloody great un-removable sticker on the front!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

solitary record find

Comment

Quick round-up from me, and I apologise in advance for the blurriness of a couple of the pics. There's nowt wrong with your vision, it's me not being able to stand still enough when taking the pics.

I've been having a right clear-out, ruthless (that's my label). Took loads of stuff down the market last weekend and have also set a similar amount aside to give away as Freebies, which I hope to be able to sort out next week (then all the packages will have a fair chance of landing before Christmas)

These were all from charity shops on the same afternoon. First three were from the Heart Foundation shop on my way home. Spare of the breaktastic RPM soundtrack (so there will be one available in my next Freebies thing) and I haven't had the Last Tango In Paris soundtrack pop up in ages, so I'll hang on to that one I reckon. Groove Holmes was one that I dropped in the bag to trade off down the market, it was just a bit too pedestrian. 'Angela' is Xian folky stuff - Arran jumpers, beads and sandals. Though I had fairly high hopes as other stuff I've had on the Profile label has been interesting, this was a bit too twee, so it's going in the Freebies as well!

Shakin' like Stevens on this one (Snow is falling, all around me, children playing, having fun...…..etc). Top left is Lalomie Washburn's 'Manpower' (slightly different mix to the LP), which is the bomb. Top right is Gwen Guthrie 'Love In Moderation' / 'Padlock' - Larry Levan vibes. Felt LP was from trading with MacTheRuss, who made a right effort to find me summat that I liked! And I've been on a bit of a Grace Jones kick lately - obsessed with YouTube performances of 'Slave To The Rhythm'.

First three were the result of trading down the market last weekend. Howard Riley looked like my kind of thing, but it's a tad avant-garde for my tastes. If I was married, it would surely have bothered the wife, as it is, the girlfriend, dog, houseflies, starlings on the bird feeder and hedgehog that was trying to hibernate have fled. If anyone with higher tolerance for free-ness would like to trade for it, by all means PM me. Please do PM me. Please? Thought I'd give 'Spirit of Eden' another try as this is a lovely copy and I'm feeling more laid back and in tune with nature at the moment. REM is self-explanatory and I've fallen hard for Khruangbin (don't tell anyone, but I've ordered their Christmas 7"!).

Back to photos that were taken with a hand that was more Wobble than it was Jah. Think these are fairly self-explanatory. AC/DC is for my cousin, the rest are residing chez moi. Seem to be doing Ok on my mission to pick up Depeche Mode stuff now. It's landing fairly steadily, without costing me too much (which I've probably just jinxed).

Last one for now (I've got some more to post up later). These all came from Rob's last Friday. The Dream Express one is sort of cheesy Euro disco, reminded me of The Three Degrees in parts, not quite a keeper. I basically can't pass by a Francoise LP. Don't see that many of them around and they've steadily crept up in price. Back when all this was just fields, you'd find them for, at the most, £3. And nice to find a great selection of Nina's tunes, despite this being a later issue.

Back later, with more twaddle.
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

“ Winter “ and “ Dawn Vision “ from that Howard Riley (CD) I can tolerate. In fact I have them on a fAir amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

I've fallen hard for Khruangbin (don't tell anyone, but I've ordered their Christmas 7"!).
                  Wow! You must've fallen hard if they've, err, turned you...

Was looking at a copy this afternoon, but wanted to check it first - very expensive for a "wee one". So bought a 10" by Andrew Wasylyk instead - forthcoming LP on Athens Of The North is gorgeous.
                  Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I have waited years to find this, and here it is, finally! In my grasp and spinning on my turntable. Christmas may officially begin!

The Downstairs Lounge
                    http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                    http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

A Tony Hancock ultra-raer!

Also, of course, a Stirling Moss ultra-raer. And a John Freeman ultra-raer.

Anyway, congratulations. I hope that it is all that you hoped it would be.

Comment

I have several times mentioned Piero Umiliani's "Africa" trilogy (on CD) as faves. Here is a close cousin. Some track overlap (different arrangements?).

The shop - Diabolik - is a 10 minute drive from here. All new vinyl. A very impressive selection of soundtracks and libes.

John and Kym (dealers) have stalls of pre-loved vinyl outside. John took 5 of my B-division new wave LPs. That covered the $28 for the Piero. Which was on sale (see the labels)!

Other stuff on sale too. I can't justify buying all of them. Also, I should husband my funds in case some of the non-sale stuff ends up on sale. Terry Riley's "Persian Surgery Dervishes" is tucked away there somewhere...

Comment

Finishing up the twaddle........

I found an OG of 'I Put A Spell On You' in a local antiques centre. It's not in great condition, even after some PVA, but I love the feel of it - the heavyweight sleeve, the robust vinyl and who doesn't secretly like the authenticity lent by a bit of crackle? As previously mentioned, I can't leave Francoise LPs alone and Rob had another one in yesterday, so that accompanied me home. Also from Rob's were the bottom two. Haven't had chance to listen to either yet, I've got a bit of a backlog again, but I'm home alone this weekend, minding our pooch, so I reckon I'll be able to have a bit of a listening session later. Unless I decide to watch 'The Sinner', which was mint last week.

Interweb acquisitions here, so slightly cheating. I sold a couple of bits on eBay to finance a present for my prettier half and ended up with a bit of surplus, so was able to treat myself to a copy of 'Seventh Heaven' off Discogs. Peak LLevan for me. Amazing tune. Got the Go-Betweens 12" off eBay, pretty much perfect pop. I like the sort of size and scale of those mid-80s productions. And, bottom row is the smoking gun evidence of my Khruang-binge (you're welcome). As I said, I broke a personal rule in buying the 7" and I do feel slightly dirty, but I love the Vince Guaraldi original so much and the Khruangbin version is both respectful, affectionate and dope.

Right, let's see whether United can score 7 more, or whether (as I predict) they'll take the foot off the gas, bring Fellaini on and end up clinging on for 3-2 win.

Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Original UK EP from 1958
                            that's a lovely little EP ... I'd be very happy to find one of those.
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

I've fallen hard for Khruangbin

Had a listen to their album on bandcamp https://khruangbin.bandcamp.com/albu...ng-n-s-america
                              Not bad but a bit BGM for me ...
                              Always good to hear something different though ...

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
                              X