January 2019 Finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    Found this is my local 2nd hand vinyl shop. Exchanged bank notes for it. Nice condition and plays well.
    A possible OOOFF depending on the quantity of notes.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

It was worth it.
      eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

The Oz "Baker Street Philharmonic" comp for 50c. Free to any regular poster who pays postage.

Also Sergio Mendes with Bud Shank. $5. Looking out for budget BS at the moment.

In retrospect should have swooped on Dave Liebman "Sweet Hands" for $10. "Dr Faustus" on Youtube not bad in a funky jazz vein.
        Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 13-01-2019, 12:23 PM. Reason: "In retrospect" (etc).

Comment

nothing more than a pound!

I first heard this when my dad used to play it at parties when I was growing up in the early 70's - I always loved the cover too.

A good compilation I'd not come across before which was alongside a pile of their original 70's albums, I picked them up as well but this is a keeper.

A should I/shouldn't I? dilemma as it's still sealed.

An original Jamaican pressing in single sleeve, my UK copy has a much smarter gate-fold but
          it's weird how it's only now I have noticed that the background on it is all coloured in with blue felt-tip!

some odd singles

The music from various adverts for the ciggy company.

hear : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxAmF-aqyDw

Dutch electronic band EP released in 1980 and came with a poster.

hear : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwiFX0XceFs

The Swedish soprano accompanied by a pianist on her only EP released in 1969.

A pair of old BBC library white labels, shame I couldn't find a few that were actually really good.

An unusual release I had not seen before - a clincher was that it came in this cool old sleeve, I dig the flip side more.

hear : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1tR...ature=youtu.be

One of 3 copies in the same box of this Smiths cover version, still sealed.

hear : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAN6GLy79iY
          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

An unusual weekday chazzer outing today yielded two finds. The Gal Costa was $2. Vinyl looks Ex. The Takemitsu was $4. Vinyl ditto.

I can't see any dates on the Takemitsu. The last track on side 1 sounds like a cross between Midnight Cowboy and [something that escapes me]. That, helps date some of it, as do a couple of other mildly 60's touches. Most of it could date from the early 60's. It is mainly fairly lush string work. And mainly 'western' sounding; 'eastern' instruments and motifs don't feature heavily. For me the best track is the first on side 2, which makes fairly sparing use of more avant 60's tones to create an air of suspense.

Don't know if I'll be keeping this.

It doesn't leap out at me from Discogs. There is a copy on Ebay which the seller says is rare. No Obi on mine. And the top and bottom of the sleeve are not good. To be positive, from what I can see his copy isn't signed by the composer. Now all I need to do is find a Takemitsu/vinyl enthusiast called Derek. Who doesn't already have a signed copy.
            Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 14-01-2019, 02:12 PM. Reason: Have now listened to the Takemitsu

Comment

Like most people, I'm feeling the post-Christmas skintness. Payday seems to be taking an age to arrive (and is mostly spoken for when it does!).

So, keeping to budget this month and, fortunately, nothing much popping up that I want / need.

However, a few tiddlers have been fished into the net.....

First three here from Rob's. Top left is New Order's 'The Perfect Kiss'. Gato Barbieri looked interesting from the list of players, but I'm not really feeling it. Only got the Mel Torme yesterday, but am fully expecting a proper classy bit of easy listening / jazz crooning. Got a (very) cheap copy of Spiritualized from Discogs, after keeping an eye out in the wild for ages, so was well pleased with that.

Got these three from Rough Trade's second-hand section one dinner break this week. Lovely (and puzzlingly underpriced) copy of AC/DC to gift on, spare of The Sonics (w/ 'The Rainmaker' for those who like their breaks) and an OG of Serge that's got a few marks but for the equivalent price of a coffee and a sandwich, no complaints here.

Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Some finds from charities the other day. In the first I was tempted by some junk - Percy Thrower's Gardening Year (had this in the 1990s and never listened to it then) and a sort of Music Minus One for wannabe actors by the strangely named Slapsey Maxie Rosenbloom, but it was missing sleeve and presumably a script. Also passed for the second time on the Jed Ford UK country LP with his Mk 1 Capri and purple paisley flares. If it's still there in another 6 months I might end up buying it.

The next charity has LPs at a reasonable 50p each but the only new donations in the last few weeks I could see was a huge crate of what looked like a shop or dealer dumping their rejects - dance 12"s with the sleeves removed, classic rock and pop with torn sleeves, some water damaged charity staples, etc. Managed to find the Hurricane Smith - Razzmahtazz Shall Inherit the Earth and the cuban Guillermo Portabales LPs that I must have missed last time (in fairness they were both facing backwards and the records aren't the easiest to look through). The first has a good funky instrumental called "Right Arm Sam", rest of the LP is a bit rubbish. Not played the other yet so don't know quite how linda these melodias are, but I've liked his stuff on youtube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	1048853

Next two from another charity, 2 for a quid. The Wings Of Light LP is a religious soul/disco affair, didn't sound that great from a quick skip through a few of the tracks, but seems to go for 40 quid or so, so worth a closer listen. Not expecting much from The Reapers - Come and Praise, it's mid 80s. Rest of the stock was really bog standard unsellable stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	1048854

Fourth and final charity does 3 LPs for 99p. The Tiare Tahiti - Les Ballets De Tahiti is probably a bit too polished, recorded in Paris. Couldn't remember if I had Arthur Lyman - Taboo, I do but this is a bit cleaner. Paul McCartney - Ram - pleased with this, a cheap copy has been eluding me for years. Neil Young & the Bluenotes - This Note's For You - not much of a NY fan although I like a lot of acts he influenced. Had never heard of this, it's late 80s and I was guessing from the band name he was doing something a bit different. Turns out it's sort of rock/R&B. Not a keeper. They were counting the LPs and 45s separately so told me to get a couple more - the Kool and the Gang - As One is produced by Deodato but from '84 so not holding out much hope, but the Frank Pourcel - And Now... has an original called "Fluty" where the drummer gets funky. Unfortunately the track goes downhill after the opening break.

Then 45s, they charged me 3 quid for 14, which works out at 21p each or something. They seemed to have been given quite an odd looking collection. The Baris Manco - Ölum Allahin Emri was a bit of a surprise. Also another Turkish one Fikret Kızılok - Leylim Leylim. I picked up a couple of greek ones as well, but they turned out to be folk/laiko rather than anything funky or psychedelic. Also a Tunisian one with a great sleeve (Cheikh El Fezzani), an French EP of middle eastern stuff by a Staiffi Et Ses Mustafas, and Italian EP on Cetra that turned out to be accordian and whistle, nice Decca promo of Tsai Chin - The Ding Dong Song / Second Spring and some Head Gardener style oddities - animal and aeroplane sound effects. Couldn't resist the Alphorn and Yodelling either.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	1048855
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  Pietro Delmont - Alone Together - an SGA I'd not seen before. Not a keeper. It's doing a sort of Mystic Moods Orchestra thing with the rain sound effects between all the tracks, but the music itself never gets a groove going. Couple of Leo Muller originals, but no out-of-place funk hiding on this one.[/B]
                  reappraising this one, side 1 in particular is actually quite a nice listen on the super easy side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                    I can't see any dates on the Takemitsu. The last track on side 1 sounds like a cross between Midnight Cowboy and [something that escapes me]. That, helps date some of it, as do a couple of other mildly 60's touches. Most of it could date from the early 60's. It is mainly fairly lush string work. And mainly 'western' sounding; 'eastern' instruments and motifs don't feature heavily. For me the best track is the first on side 2, which makes fairly sparing use of more avant 60's tones to create an air of suspense.

Don't know if I'll be keeping this.

It doesn't leap out at me from Discogs.
                    I don't think it's on Discogs.

I've been going through a bit of a gendai ongaku (literally "Modern music", probably best translated as Modern Classical) phase recently in which Takemitsu has figured quite prominently. The LP you have I believe is from 1979 (if it's AX-8140). I don't think it's *that* rare. The last copy that went on Yahoo Auctions had a (damaged obi) and went for 2400 yen, which is about 17 quid.

I bought a 1966 Takemitsu 4 LP box set from Disk Union recently for about 1600 yen. Not all of it is good (or nutty in the way I was hoping for) but an interesting listen.
                    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Some Brasilian records, 50p each. In pretty nice condition too (stored in plastic sleeves etc)

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1048943

Jorge Ben, Gente De Antiga, Jadir De Castro - Batucada No. 2, Os Originais Do Samba

Comment

Some Brasilian records, 50p each. In pretty nice condition too (stored in plastic sleeves etc)

Name:	

Jorge Ben, Gente De Antiga, Jadir De Castro - Batucada No. 2, Os Originais Do Samba
                        50p each- I feel sick. No, I'm happy for you, really I am.
                        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

don't worry, I did buy a load of rubbish as well

plus accidentally came home with a surprise sleeveless 10" of marching band music that had slipped inside the bottom of another record where the cover was unglued. Think I managed to successfully avoid buying any accordion records though

Comment

Name:	

If you dig for long enough, it MUST eventually happen!
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                              spare of The Sonics (w/ 'The Rainmaker' for those who like their breaks)
                              I vaguely remember this being mentioned on the board years ago because of the confusion with the more famous Sonics, but just checked it out (now almost everything's on youtube) and it seems like a nice version, besides just the break.

Never seen a copy, but I noticed yesterday that the Avenue address printed on some of their sleeves is Chingford Mount which is only a couple of miles from me. I knew they were based in the south east, but didn't realise it was so close by. I think one of the places they used to sell their records was via branches of Tesco or something, Lord Thames would know. Just looked the address up on Streetview and unless they've renumbered the road it looks like it was just based out of someone's house.

edit - just found this will a bit more info on the Avenue label: http://www.7tt77.co.uk/AVENUE.html (if you scroll down past the label scans)

Comment

Today is "Australia Day"! Or "Invasion Day", depending on your standpoint.

Many Perth and Fremantle residents seem to have marked the day by being somewhere else. Though not, unfortunately, whoever it is who is responsible for blaring out the gormless 'beats' in the middle distance.

My guess is that staff being somewhere else was why most Freo charity shops were closed.

I ended up at "Old Values", a retro shop on the outskirts of Freo. Proprietor Paul is a nice guy; ready to engage in codger talk. Hence "Firedog" which I would probably have left otherwise, having heard a rip and dismissed it some years ago. Still, I might recoup my $10.

I would have punted $5 on "Limbo from Trinidad" in any event. I have only listened to "Drumming Limbo" (last track), but worth it for that alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X