No announcement yet.

January 2019 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is everything so ruddy difficult? I will try plan B when I get a chance and forget all about Google Photos.
    The Downstairs Lounge
    http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

They were there this morning. Pangs of nostalgia looking at them. They've now gone AWOL.

Congrats on Blaster Bates. I remember you mentioning it some time back. I've paused every time I've seen a BB record, just in case.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190129_132131.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1049062

Harold Vick - Caribbean Suite - an ebay buy - this was recommended on a Waxidermy thread about good cheap jazz records. This is from 1967 and the band includes Bobby Hutcherson and Blue Mitchell. The suite itself is by Kenny Graham, originally on a 10" LP on Esquire.
        The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark - from Discogs, should have picked this up years ago after hearing "The Radio Song" on a Saint Etienne mix CD in 2004 or something. Had the second album for ages, which is good, but this is a little bit better I think. Can stop listening to it on youtube now.
        Eberhard Schoener - The Destruction Of Harmony - these next two are from a local dealer who has set up shop in the front of a dance studio. This one looked interesting, on a Wendy Carlos scale it's halfway between Switched On Bach and Sonic Seasonings I guess. His mastery of the Moog is not as good as Carlos (or Tomita) on the baroque pieces, but they do turn into more satisfying experimental sections.
        Tedd Smith - Requiem For A Nobody - First heard him on a Billy Graham record. Still looking for "Smash And Grab World", but this album got a UK release so easier to find.

Name:	20190129_134411.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1049064

Viva Bob Moore - strange awkward pose by the cover model there. This is probably above average vaguely Mexican easy listening, but does have a stand-out in "Acapulco" which sounds a lot like the High Llamas. Bob Moore backed Elvis, Roy Orbison, etc - played on 17,000+ sessions in Nashville according to Wikipedia. (The vintage price tag was correct for once, I did pay 25p!)
        Clive Allan Orchestra - Cha Cha - not seen this Avenue release before, and appropriately found just a mile or two up the road from their old address. I think it's just a bought-in tape judging by the other releases that Clive Allan did (assuming he even existed at all). Not played fully yet, but seemed to be a small latin combo so potentially better than some string heavy ballroom job.
        Helmut Zacharias - Tokyo Melody - reissue of Teatime In Tokyo. Been after this for a while, found it before but either trashed or stuck to the inner sleeve. Pretty good, in that beat-y mid 60s Easy sound.
        Nelson Riddle - Love Tide - this is a WRC issue, with a less interesting sleeve. Mood music, and less exciting than the potential exotica the tracklisting suggested ("Bali Hai", "Caravan" etc)

Name:	20190129_134439.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1049065

Some charity shop folk - Alfrida Martin - Travellers - from '89. Absolutely nothing about this on the web. Has some good moments but not a keeper
        The Lochies - Lewis Folk - I think these were recommended on here on one of the Scottish folk threads. Pretty good, maybe unexpectedly so given the cover
        Jack Hudson - Homecoming - Windmill budget reissue of a Folk Heritage LP (according to someone on the mudcat forum, in true budget label fashion without Hudson's knowledge).
        White On Black - folk covers band

Name:	20190129_132611.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	1049061

Swans Way - The Fugitive Kind - Interesting 80s thing, sort of sophisticated pop
        Propaganda - A Secret Wish - Heard this name mentioned a lot but never heard them. Synth pop on ZTT, probably not enough good songs to be a decent synth pop album and not interesting enough to be a more experimental instrumental synth thing.
        Roger Glover and guests - The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast - children's album, probably counts as abuse to inflict prog rock on innocent young minds
        The Osmonds - Phase III - recommended in the past on the board, "My Drum" is great!

Name:	20190129_134326.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1049063

Some more random stuff - Good News - a freebie from IAN, this is Kevin Bacon's brother and someone who went on to produce loads of Philly soul and disco. I quite liked this, but the cello was disappointingly quiet in the mix, so less interesting than it could have been.
        KPM Classical Fusion 2 - 80s synth library - I found volume 1 in the same place a few months earlier. Appears there's four volumes in total. Two is probably enough. Judging by youtube comments KPM seem to had success with selling this stuff to US TV networks for sports programmes.
        Swing Fit - The "Stay A Girl" Record - thought this was just going to be a keep fit record, but it's more about stretching, breathing, etc and slightly meditative. The music is quite interesting, gets very odd in a few places. The B side is just the music which is good.
        Frank Crumit - The Gay Caballero - who could resist a record with a track called "The Pig Got Up and Slowly Walked Away"? Not me anyway. Good pre-war comedy/novelty stuff

Comment

The Harold Vick looks interesting. Light on the jazz in the Youtube clips. More than a suggestion of Exotica. I could bear hearing "Dance of the Zombies" more often.

Discogs copies not that cheap. Nice if you aren't seriously out of pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark - from Discogs, should have picked this up years ago after hearing "The Radio Song" on a Saint Etienne mix CD in 2004 or something. Had the second album for ages, which is good, but this is a little bit better I think. Can stop listening to it on youtube now.
            I've been after this for a long time as well. Always goes for good money when I'm bidding so I haven't snagged one yet. I like the Lochies too- very restful. I also like those stickers which say 'Now 29p' and stuff. Would be nice to have a collection. I've got one somewhere which says 'Drastically reduced to 72p' or some-such price. I think it's a good record too.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              Was so disappointed when I finally picked this up to find that their masterpiece "Why Not Your Baby" wasn't actually on the original and was a bonus track on the Edsel version. 7" only, which I still don't have...
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post

Was so disappointed when I finally picked this up to find that their masterpiece "Why Not Your Baby" wasn't actually on the original and was a bonus track on the Edsel version. 7" only, which I still don't have...
                Top tip Mr Devine.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Store credit secured me this over the weekend. I can't recall whether I have ever seen an actual copy before. I suspect not.

John Sangster and Judy Bailey are the main draws, but I'll do my best to retain an open mind for the other tracks.

Not played it yet, but am about to lose phone, and so photo capacity. And I was keen to floss.

Looks very clean. I am to come back with a commentary.

Comment

January wasn't as good as usual for charity shop stuff. The doo-wop 78 was pretty cool though. The world music lps were a little disappointing. The Voluma lp is trad jazz! The Stephen Toast cover is more Maltese cabaret. The Eastern European lp is just bland pop.
                    http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
                      January wasn't as good as usual for charity shop stuff. The doo-wop 78 was pretty cool though. The world music lps were a little disappointing. The Voluma lp is trad jazz! The Stephen Toast cover is more Maltese cabaret. The Eastern European lp is just bland pop.
                      Yoshikazu Iwamoto is solo shakuhachi? Sounds relaxing ...

An interesting haul ...
                      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                        Store credit secured me this over the weekend. I can't recall whether I have ever seen an actual copy before. I suspect not.

John Sangster and Judy Bailey are the main draws, but I'll do my best to retain an open mind for the other tracks.

Not played it yet, but am about to lose phone, and so photo capacity. And I was keen to floss.

Looks very clean. I am to come back with a commentary.

Judy Bailey's quintet not sounding particularly contemporary. No complaint from me, though. An interesting composition and polished post bop delivery make this a pleasure.

I'm still not sure about the Sangster track. I like his faux-field recording works. And this is one of them. I also like Mingus. And this seems to nod in that direction, what with what sounds like composed passages and spells of collective improv. But does it go on a bit? And are they a bit un-together?

I haven't heard Don Burrows' famous (and scarce) soundtrack from around then. I wonder if this is a near-relative. The sleeve notes say that it depicts a 'girl in love' narrative. And there are bits that would well suit the right kind of 60's film (nothing too freaky).

The theme of Bernie McGann's first track lopes Monkishly. Fine by me. I like the rest of it well enough, though he makes no great impression on me. Ditto on his second track, which puts me in mind of the classic Coltrane quartet. The tune that is, not so much the performance.

Comment

Working...
                        X