• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys long time no see
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

Originally posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
      Hey guys long time no see
      I know - I feel bad for lurking so much and not posting. Life just gets in the way I suppose. Need to try and resolve to be a bit more active around here when I get the chance

Comment

Yer not been active here for months..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	friday.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1049300

Picked these up on Friday after work in a small place which usually yields nothing: Alle 24 Goed (1985) was the find of the day. Excellent Belgian punk/hardcore from the mid-80s, a period (and the kind of record) I feel a lot of nostalgia for these days. Shattered Glass is also from the mid 80s but I'd never heard of them before. UK punk/hardcore with goth undertones, trudging tempos and ropey drumming, and a female singer who uses a horrible squeak to punctuate her delivery. Probably not a keeper. Fish Co (1978) is christian rock. Only played side one, it's slick but inventine and very listenable. I presume Orpheus (soft rock/harmony pop) and Smith (60s rock, a spare) are known here. Not a bad little haul.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

My camera is knackered on my phone..

found a stones first lp with 2.52 minutes version a record fair at the weekend

Comment

Its tough out there now in the wild. If you ask, sometimes you get lucky. Happy with these 78s. The Greek one is North African sounding. The African Columbia is croony Arikaanes. Odd.
              http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Here's a few for this month from me ...

"Z" ‎– Music For Sensuous Lovers 1971
                Would be great if it weren't for the moaning. The old synth sounds are lovely.

Andrew Wasylyk ‎– Themes For Buildings And Spaces 2017
                Very laid back instrumental album. A surprise gift from a friend in the UK. Good for cloudy Sunday afternoons.

Khan Space Shanty Japanese LP 1976
                Steve Hillage's proggy thing. Dave Stewart of Egg is on it. Hopefully it'll get me a few LPs I want. Not really my cuppa at all, but was interesting to hear once ...
                "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Mkwaju Ensemble ‎– Ki-Motion 2018 re-release
                  A fucking stunner. Very trancey in a tribal, not clubby. Great for long walks in Osaka, which I have plenty of.

Various ‎– Cine-Jazz Custom Deluxe Japan 1960s
                  The Japanese version of an LP Trunk describes as one of his favoiurite comps. It's OK, but not that memorable.
                  Mostly household names.

Koji Ishizaka ‎– さすらいの街 (Lonesome Towns) Japan circa 1969
                  Japanese version of the Rod Mckuen LP. Very dated but kinda fun. Annoys the shit out of my Mrs enough to ask me to play Coltrane.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                    Various ‎– Cine-Jazz Custom Deluxe Japan 1960s
                    The Japanese version of an LP Trunk describes as one of his favoiurite comps. It's OK, but not that memorable.
                    Mostly household names.

I like the look of that record; I'm surprised it's not doing anything for you. I can picture myself playing that maybe on a late midsummer morning, at the weekend, with a cup of Kenya peaberry coffee and a couple of toasted Scottish Morning Rolls. It's warm, but not too warm, and I've got the door open to the garden, and the cat's sitting on the lawn gazing at nothing in particular... Yep, I'm having a lovely time there.

You saw Mr Wasylyk has a new one out?
                    Last edited by Shere Khan; 15-02-2019, 12:07 PM. Reason: Mr W.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Not much from me today...
                      quincy jones big band "fab" uk fontana lp
                      anita sings jazz with oscar peterson etc..uk world record club lp

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

I like the look of that record; I'm surprised it's not doing anything for you. I can picture myself playing that maybe on a late midsummer morning, at the weekend, with a cup of Kenya peaberry coffee and a couple of toasted Scottish Morning Rolls. It's warm, but not too warm, and I've got the door open to the garden, and the cat's sitting on the lawn gazing at nothing in particular... Yep, I'm having a lovely time there.

You saw Mr Wasylyk has a new one out?
                        It's not that it doesn't do anything, but there was no standout track that I hadn't previously heard, so it just kinda came and went.

A new Mr Wasylyk disc you say? I shall insult the oracle!

Comment

Great finds this month - Estonian haul, exotic 78s, Mort Garson "Ataraxia" for a fiver... (that "Music for Sensuous Lovers" is also Mort Garson btw, not sure if it says on the sleeve or not)

Less impressive, but a few charity finds this week:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190216_101212.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	1049405

Paul Brookes - Steps From Beyond - cosmic disco! some good bits, not sure if cosmic enough to keep yet. Love the budget Roger Dean does 80s computer game box/sci-fi paperback sleeve though.
                          Daniel Lanois - Acadie - HG posted this up a while back. Mellow, atmospheric 80s thing, recorded in New Orleans and half sung in French (he's Canadian)
                          Robert Howes and Rod Argent - Rescue OST - was hoping for some 80s synthy soundtrack stuff, but from a quick needledrop sounded like it's pretty rubbish
                          The Accents - Yesterday, Today and a Touch of Tomorrow - slight sunshine pop ish. Not played fully yet, but the first track ("Stranger In Paradise") was sounding pretty good

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190216_101128.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	1049403

The New World of Les Reed - I rarely see stuff on Chapter One. This is all classical stuff given the "groovy" arrangement and the funky 2001 is pretty good at least
                          Brian Fahey - Classics Go Latin - never see Brian Fahey LPs either. This was a bit disappointing though, just a light latin touch to orchestral stuff mostly, but there are a couple of more interestingly arrangements.
                          The Fluegel Knights - Just Some of those Songs, Mrs Robinson - always saw these advertised on the back of other CBS releases (and the sampler) but never had one of their LPs (although just discovered they are the same group as King Richard and his Fluegel Knights who I have a mediocre US 45 by). Seems alright, the drums are loud enough etc and pretty good late 60s material
                          Antonio Ricci Sound - Encore Tijuana - budget label Tijuana, sounds European and is linked on Discogs to a Dutch LP so I guess it's another retitled job. A lot of originals and has it's moments, but a bit more wacky than funky. Always hoping for another Brasilia 70, or "Coffee Shake" etc...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190216_101150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	1049404

Monty Kelly - Far Away Places vol 1 (there doesn't appear to be a Vol 2). Pleased to find this, but it's from one of those annoying discographies with various repackaged albums. These tracks are from a US 10" LP, and they've added a few more, a couple of which were among those added to the 10" to make the "Tropicana" LP (with a more exotic sleeve)
                          Colin Frechter Orchestra - Music For Addicts Only - TV themes, first side in particular is good. Nice almost ska-like lo-fi sound, and mostly the sort of swinging TV crime themes. Second side has much worse material (e.g. "Steptoe")
                          101 Strings - Back Beat Symphony - was hoping this might be a good one I'd not heard about, but it's terrible. The drums aren't miked separately, so it's just someone banging a very basic beat somewhere at the back of the hall
                          Albert Sadler & Ronnie Ronald - Caught Out at the Courthouse - saucy comedy record from the Channel Islands, probably heading Agnes' way if he wants it

also sleeveless copies of John Keating - Space Experience 2 and Percy Faith - Black Magic Woman. Think I may have had the first years ago and got rid so maybe heading to the next freebie thread...

Comment

Found 5 unplayed copies of...

pauline murray -storm clouds uk lp

ex penetration singer..:0)

Comment

My activity has slowed down a bit (Valentine's Day related expenditure took precedence), so only a few to show:

All but Kes came from Rob's. Though the music from Kes is undoubtedly beautiful, obviously, you start thinking about the film and I have always found that Kes either makes me feel angry, sad or both - so that's a struggle! So, let's focus on the other records. Thought I should give the Mac a go after hearing them quite a bit lately - two days running, I went into different shops and heard 'Sarah' playing, strange. I think Stop Making Sense completes my Talking Heads LPs jigsaw (I'll still be looking for 12"s though), absolutely brilliant stuff. Bit more King Crimson for me to attempt to get my head around - some of this is quite challenging for me, but I can hear so many amazing ideas on it, it's just that it often threatens to disappear up its own fundament. And, this is my first ever Tom Waits LP. Wasn't looking for it, never really considered him as an artist that I should check out, but when I picked this up in the racks, it just seemed to insist on coming home with me. On first needle-drop (I only got it on Friday), some of the jazzier tracks sound really good. I shall investigate further.
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I think I'm in a minority of one not liking the Kes film or soundtrack. I read the book ("A Kestrel For A Knave") at an impressionable age and the film version was a disappointment. Maybe need to revisit at some point, I think I swapped or gave away the DVD to someone on here.

I've been investigating Fleetwood Mac, after realising there were so many albums on their discography (grew up in a house with the Peter Green era Greatest Hits, Rumours, Mirage and Tango In the Night LP) but there's the whole run of mid period albums (Bare Trees etc) that are pretty good (also after listening to the whole of "Mystery To Me", and realising it wasn't a one-tracker). Not listened to that one in your picture yet, I think I'd always flicked past it thinking it was Rumours with the similar sleeve design

Comment

Working...
                                X