No announcement yet.

February 2019 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Norman Maclean been arrested? & what is a Teutchter?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Been mainly grippin n flippin as they say lately, but have gotten these few nice bits for myself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5058.jpg Views:	5 Size:	22.1 KB ID:	1049585Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190226_115617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	1049584Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190226_115722.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	1049586Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190226_115514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	1049583

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
        Has Norman Maclean been arrested? & what is a Teutchter?
        Aye, arrested because his patter is criminal! And a teuchter is a Scots word to describe somebody from the Highlands (and isn't really too complimentary - I've always taken it to be a bit like a bumpkin)

Comment

Coming in with a late Feb post on vinyl things that I have come across in the past few weeks, some came from the charity shops of Sheffield while I was taking a break
          and a couple were in with a box of bits I won in a local auction including some nice Jazz and Library albums I'd not seen or heard before.

I got this one for the sleeve but the music isn't too shabby either.

This sleazy jazz classic was minty!

Nice mixing desk on the cover of this library music album on the other Studio One label.

Another library music album I'd not seen before.

This is an oddity, I couldn't find anything online about either the record company or the album, it looks and sounds mid 70's.

This curious acetate featuring the 70's TV series theme by Mr. Brooks turned up in the back streets of Sheffield.

mmmm, jazz improv, nice...

odds & ends including a couple of Manchester Utd related 7"s

I was best pleased by this early Julie London album on London which although the sleeve was a bit tatty the vinyl was beautiful.
          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Nice matching of the typeface with the chair there on that Julie London.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190228_134201.jpg Views:	42 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	1049626

Another Julie London from me - came across what must have been someone's easy-listening and lounge collection a few weeks back, unusually including some US releases. Unfortunately those were on the very bland side, as were a lot of the UK titles. Still managed to find a few more exciting ones, well worth the 50p each
            Julie London - Calendar Girl, Jane Morgan - Jane In Spain, Eartha Kitt - Down To Eartha (this is good, always forget about her, maybe because of hearing "Santa Baby" far too often every Christmas, only had one LP before I think) Eartha Kitt - The Romantic Eartha (not played this yet, it's a UK recording with Tony Osborne, so could go either way)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190201_085754.jpg Views:	42 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	1049625

some EPs with nice sleeves possibly from the same donation. the Caterina Valente and Edmundo Ros - Frenesi has been recommended a few times here by SirSlim. good version of "Misirlou" on here

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190228_134538.jpg Views:	42 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	1049624

Billie Poole - The Sermonette - on Riverside. not bad, but not good enough to keep
            Johnny Mathis - Open Fire, Two Guitars - took a punt on this one since he's backed by Al Caiola and Tony Mottola, but don't think his voice goes with the accompaniment (PS Johnny - you'll damage your guitar leaving it by the fireplace like that!)
            Chubby Checker - Twistin' Round The World - CC was one of those talents really wasted by the music industry, and this is a good example. It's pretty rubbish as expected, but I liked the twist version of "Misirlou" (sounds a bit feeble on youtube compared to the LP though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgG2xu0258 )
            Yma Sumac - The Legend Of The Sun Virgin - this one from a proper shop (Reckless in Soho). I already had a sleeveless copy of the 70s reissue of this (one for next freebies thread) but fancied an upgrade even though it wasn't one I was particularly looking for. Music's alright on this, but she does get a bit operatic

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190228_134902.jpg Views:	42 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	1049628

Two more from a proper shop - Sister Ray in Soho:
            Richard Harvey - A New Way Of Seeing - basically a real life Ghost Box release. Synthy prog album, made by ICL computers for staff and clients.
            Yellowstone & Voice - folky pop duo, nice arrangements by John Fiddy and Zack Lawrence
            Robert Thomas Velline - Nothin' Like a Sunny Day - well known here I think. This is great. It's missing the inner sleeve but can't complain for a charity shop find
            Graham Dalley at the Barn - ebay cheapie. Was a recommendation from IAN and also was on board member Wayne's blog. Is more like one of those US LPs for nightclub acts. Mix of vocal and instrumentals, including a couple of interesting exotica-ish ones. The only other Graham Dalley record is the more parp heavy Saga one with the mildly funky Good, Bad and the Ugly

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190228_135023.jpg Views:	42 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	1049627

My wife was asking about Al Bowlly after the last two novels she read had coincidentally both mentioned him and all I had was a few CD comps of dance bands. Then a few hours later I found a bunch of Lew Stone LPs (with Bowlly either singing on or guitar), this probably the best of them. A lot of Al Bowlly vocals on here, which are great, also a couple of good instrumentals.
            Gary Burton - Works - a very different kind of jazz, this is an 80s comp that ECM did one each for all the artists who'd been on the label since it launched.
            Symphony of the Body - a lesser seen BBC record I think. Narration and recordings of internal bodily sounds
            Autopilot - Rapid Eye Movements - a Mike Batt synthy concept album thing, recorded with a Dutch band. Starts pretty promisingly but deteriorates and not a keeper...

oh forgot another - sleeveless copy of Philly Soul group Blue Magic, although no great loss because it's a German pressing and the sleeve is rubbish compared with the original. super smoooooooth and sampled loads of times. Quite Delfonics sounding in parts (one of them set up the group, so makes sense).
            Last edited by bongolia; 01-03-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	20190201_085754.jpg Views:	42 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	1049625

some EPs with nice sleeves possibly from the same donation. the Caterina Valente and Edmundo Ros - Frenesi has been recommended a few times here by SirSlim. good version of "Misirlou" on here
              Ha ha! Yes - maybe a "few" times, Caterina & Edmundo's finest hour

Comment

[QUOTE=Turboellis;n1049379]Mkwaju Ensemble ‎– Ki-Motion 2018 re-release
                A fucking stunner. Very trancey in a tribal, not clubby. Great for long walks in Osaka, which I have plenty of.

Listened to this on Youtube along with another by them from around the same time (red cover?). Like other listeners (according to the comments) I like the red one when it gets slower and more atmospheric.

Comment

[QUOTE=Grim Lounge Cowboy;n1049651]
                  Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                  Listened to this on Youtube along with another by them from around the same time (red cover?). Like other listeners (according to the comments) I like the red one when it gets slower and more atmospheric.
                  Yes, that's great too. I'll pick that one up when Disk Union has a cheap 2nd hand copy.
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
                  X