Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    I punted on this online. It arrived yesterday. I'm not sure about it. The more overtly percussive tracks don't seem to work too well. The longer more ethereal tracks have their moments, but I don't know yet whether they stand up as compositions.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    [/B]

I've got a bunch to post later, but one I think I didn't photograph was a Fivepenny Piece album "Wish You Were Here". There was one almost funky one with some wah-wah, but not a keeper. Nothing as good as "Lou-Lay-Lie" on Making Tracks anyway...

Don't often see their records dahn sarf. They certainly made a lot of albums though.
    I live about five miles from the Fivepenny Piece epicentre. They are unavoidable in charity shops round here.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by Funky Charly View Post

Sir, that`s a big`un - Peter Ivers' Band With Yolande Bavan ‎– Knight Of The Blue Communion. Got hooked on the thing on hearing the teasing drumbreak lifted on Diplo and Tripledouble - Aeiou Two.

All in all, this weirdo is a hell of a record!
    thanks - that's pretty crazy, not sure I was totally down with the lyrics but the band was very nice!

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Everyone will be disappointed to know I've got another huge load stuff to post (and still need to finish listening to all the Greek records), but here goes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_195439.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1049956

Firstly a few cheap things from ebay and Discogs -
    Des Glasford's Combo 7 - Guyana's Young Sound - couple of quite nice jazzy instros on here, also a bit of soul. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvP6No8VXmk
    The National Gallery - Performing Interpretations of the Paintings of Paul Klee - Chuck Mangione written psych thing. Mentioned a few times on here. His brother Gap also did versions of "Diana In the Autumn Wind" and a couple of others (coincidentally posted earlier this month). Was expecting this to be instrumental, but it's all got vocals.
    Les Humphries - Singing Explosion - no idea why they've wrapped themselves in kitchen foil. Quite funky in parts though, best track is probably Mandrake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlDIhEKmSqs
    Lonesome Travellers - The Lost Children - UK folk trio on a very obscure label. Found an empty sleeve last year so nice to finally hear the actual record. Nothing traditional but some interesting song choices. Not yet sure if a keeper, but I liked this one quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPA8w2_Q9cw

Name:	20190331_195458.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1049961

Strawbs - From The Witchwood - from a local shop. Should have got this years ago, really good acid folk
    And that's it for proper money, back to the 50p boxes - a sleeveless Transatlantic Guitar Sampler LP - Jansch, Pentangle, Rebourn, John Fahey, etc. Might be one for the freebie thread though, not worked out what I already have on this yet
    Kenneth Connor and Glennis Bereford - Much Ado About Love and Keith Michell - Sings Ancient And Modern - two very similar records (both actors, both albums half Elizabethan and half modern songs in an Elizabethan style) bizarrely from the same box but a week apart. The Kenneth Connor has been posted on here before, don't know about the other. Not sure I like Keith Michell's voice, but Ken and Glennis sounded alright from a quick listen, and it's nice to see something else on Avenue besides soundalikes (plus looks like they actually spent some money on the sleeve design).

Name:	20190331_195536.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1049957

Les Swingle Singers - Bach, Handel, Vivaldi - need no introduction I guess
    The Fisher Fidelity Standard - has a good slightly middle-eastern instrumental called Othello: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYH6e8B0ODM&t=50s (band leader is Michael Zager owho would later inflict "Let's All Chant" on the world)
    George Chisholm - More Music For Romantics - mostly pretty drippy stuff, but for no good reason has a cracking version of Caravan half way through. The young people on the cover look sad, maybe George has been playing his trombone right in their ears, he does look a bit guilty.
    T.W. Ardy - Hammond In Gold - German organist, mostly the usual cheese with a German schlager slant, but he turns on his delay unit and gets pretty funky on "The Look Of Love": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJiRyN3Mu-4

Name:	20190331_195604.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1049960

The New World - Trumpet A Go-Go - bonkers barely recognisable classical arrangements. Had this before and sold it for 45 quid or something crazy on ebay (and with no XXX Records style hyping, honest!). Nice to find it again finally for 50p.
    The New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral - not sure why I bought this, because I knew the rest would be as annoying as the title track. Think I was just surprised to see a US LP in the charity shop. I like 20s/30s stuff and also like people recreating it, but this all feels like a bit of a joke.
    Gordon Lightfoot - Endless Wire - not a SSW fan normally, but I've been enjoying a lot of covers of his stuff, so thought I'd give him a go.
    St. John's Theatre Workshop - United We Stand - early 80s kids theatre thing, sort of a quirky reggae sound to a lot of it

Name:	20190331_150314.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1049954

Had a tip-off from an old man in a charity shop that somewhere else had just put out several hundred new LPs, mostly C&W but he'd found a jazz record in them. Looked like a dealer or shop might have been clearing out stuff - a lot of country from the same numbered collection, but also easy listening and other stuff dealer's often give up on. Nice they'd donated them to the 4 for a quid place too.
    Ted Heath - Olde Englyshe - this is great, had a 70s or 80s reissue already (from the same shop a few years ago I think as well). Not your typical Ted Heath record, this is arrangements of folk songs, a lot by Ken Moule.
    George Shearing - Shearing Today! - not seen this before, it's good late 60s "groovy" easy.
    Roberto Delgado - The Peanut Vendor - budget reissue of "Caramba!", nice uptempo version of "Taboo"
    The Lettermen - Put Your Head On My Shoulder - never had one of their albums before, don't think it's a keeper but a few interesting moments, like an unlikely cover of The Doors "Hello I Love You" (the more usual "Light My Fire" is on here as well)

Name:	20190331_150422.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1049955

Most of the country was random late 70s/80s stuff by people I'd never heard of but there were a few potentially more interesting things.
    Loretta Lynn - Loretta, Entertainer of the Year - this was good, I think there was electric piano on this which made it slightly different to the usual Nashville sound
    Johnny Rivers - Slim Slo Slider - Been posted up here before I think. I had the 45 of "Jesus Was A Soul Man" from this but got rid of it, and turns out that's the only rubbish track, the rest is really good. There was also the Blue Suede Shoes LP but aside from a very lengthy drumbreak it was all a bit disappointing.
    The Statler Brothers - Sing Country Symphonies In E Major - quite enjoyed this, from memory a nice version of Mac Davis "I Believe In Music"
    Roy Acuff - A Living Legend - I like his voice, quite folky, but not a keeper

Name:	20190331_195632.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1049959

George Melly - Nuts - interesting sleeve on this, the picture is a photographic print that slides out, done in that old-fashioned airbrushed style (like the Kraftwerk TEE sleeve). Probably not a keeper, but after reading one volume of his autobiography years ago (must find the others) I feel I ought to give his records a go
    Los Carabelas - Cantan - Spanish folk trio, slight latin american influence. I liked their voices a lot
    Line et Willy - early 60s French duo, normally I'm disappointed by French stuff, always turns out to be Chanson type dreariness, but this was pretty lively
    Marisa Robles - Harp Music Of France - I love harp LPs and had been looking out for this after finding a Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe story LP with her music on, but not sure it's a keeper, was a bit underwhelming from memory

Name:	20190331_150609.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1049958

Maxine Nightingale - Night Life - passed up a copy of this a couple of years ago for 3 quid or something and regretted it, so pleased to find it again for pennies. Really great LP-only version of Ned Doheny's "Get It Up For Love". Don't think the rest was great though bar one other good track

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Ashton-under-Lyne supergroup The Fivepenny Piece ......On Stage

I've got a bunch to post later, but one I think I didn't photograph was a Fivepenny Piece album "Wish You Were Here". There was one almost funky one with some wah-wah, but not a keeper. Nothing as good as "Lou-Lay-Lie" on Making Tracks anyway...

Don't often see their records dahn sarf. They certainly made a lot of albums though.
    Last edited by bongolia; 02-04-2019, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Let's give this new fangle uploader thing a try then...

In a fancy silver foil cover which was a bit of a bugger to photograph Alan Randall ‎– Leaning On A Memory

Name:	alan-randall-leaning-memory1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	1049929

An eponymous Barry Humphries Aussie only release from 1970

Name:	barry-humphries-1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	1049930

The Best Of Harry Secombe - Disc 2 of 5. No sign of the other four but hey, I got my 50p's worth.

The Best Of Harry Secombe

Downright sinister if you ask me Charles Penrose ‎– The Adventures Of The Laughing Policeman

Charles Penrose ‎– The Adventures Of The Laughing Policeman

From Devon there's 'Eaps More of the Cowshed Cleaners - featuring the classic lineup of Gaffer Lyne, Hayseed Trump, Scarecrow Williams and Wurzel Morrell.

'Eaps More of the Cowshed Cleaners

Ashton-under-Lyne supergroup The Fivepenny Piece ......On Stage

The Fivepenny Piece ......On Stage

Michael Flanders and Donald Swann – More Out Of The Hat! The striking cover image is by prolific theatrical portrait photographer Angus McBean, probably best known for his iconic EMI stairwell photo of the Beatles used for Please Please Me.

Michael Flanders And Donald Swann ‎– More Out Of The Hat!

Mike Neville And George House, Joe Bennett & The Northumbrian Traditional Group ‎– Geordierama

Mike Neville And George House, Joe Bennett & The Northumbrian Traditional Group ‎– Geordierama

Harry Secombe – Pickwick A musical built around the ample Dickensian form of Harry Secombe and which gave him 'If I Ruled The World', the song that became his signature tune.

Harry Secombe ‎– Pickwick

Been after this for a while. Not rare or valuable but a bugger to find Lanky Spoken Here!

Lanky Spoken Here!

Dodgy comedy and enthusiastic sentimental crooning from a Kent restaurant with the sound of prawn cocktails being slurped in the background, what's not to love? Paul Styvar, Colin Clifford, Trevor Thomas ‎– Live At Bloomers Restaurant Gravesend

Paul Styvar, Colin Clifford, Trevor Thomas ‎– Live At Bloomers Restaurant Gravesend

Crude Canadian country Maclean And Maclean ‎– Taking The 'O' Out Of Country And Sucking Their Way To The Top

Maclean And Maclean ‎– Taking The 'O' Out Of Country And Sucking Their Way To The Top

Robotic Beatles action from Metal Mickey ‎– I Wanna Hold Your Hand / Eugene Machino​​​​​​​

Metal Mickey ‎– I Wanna Hold Your Hand / Eugene Machino

More Lancashire folkines and bits of silliness The Oldham Tinkers ‎– Best O' T' Bunch - Back Street Songs Of Lancashire​​​​​​​

The Oldham Tinkers ‎– Best O' T' Bunch - Back Street Songs Of Lancashire

The Oldham Tinkers ‎– Sit Thee Down

The Oldham Tinkers ‎– Sit Thee Down

Mrs Shufflewick gracing the cover of Pubs, Pearlies & Pints

Pubs, Pearlies & Pints

Seven-A-Side - Recorded November 1964. Comedy song selections from the Oxford University shows 'Hang Down Your Head And Die' and 'Oxford Revue'. The first vinyl recording to feature future Pythons Michael Palin and (as a writer) Terry Jones.

Dick Durden-Smith, Michael Palin, Nigel Rees, Michael Sadler, Bob Scott, Adele Weston, David Wood With Susan Solomon, Jane Somerville ‎– Seven-A-Side

Leave a comment:

• Funky Charly
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    Nice, you should probably go out more often!

Funky Charly - what's the one on the top left?
    Sir, that`s a big`un - Peter Ivers' Band With Yolande Bavan ‎– Knight Of The Blue Communion. Got hooked on the thing on hearing the teasing drumbreak lifted on Diplo and Tripledouble - Aeiou Two.

All in all, this weirdo is a hell of a record!

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Nice, you should probably go out more often!

Funky Charly - what's the one on the top left?

Leave a comment:

• stylesforfree
    replied
    Last week was the first time I went out for a dig in about 8 months and yesterday was the 2nd time. Seems like I picked a good time to go outside again.

Leave a comment:

• Funky Charly
    replied

Name:	DSC07620.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1049912

Purged literally about 12kg of shelf-dusting doubles and fillers cheap to buy these! Hard to tell which one exactly is punchier - them all undeniable!
    "You are cleansed. You are cleansed. You will never hear distortion again..."
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    Originally posted by peretti View Post

You're not alone - the car booter guy who sold me my copy said it spooked his wife and she wanted it out of the house.
    Adopting a Bercow voice - "the eyes have it, the eyes have it".

Leave a comment:

• peretti
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Very nice catch! That sleeve always spooks me a bit. If I ever found a copy I'd have to put it in a brown paper bag.
    You're not alone - the car booter guy who sold me my copy said it spooked his wife and she wanted it out of the house.

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by candiman View Post

It looks as though Arden Folk are exorcising Johnny. The one in the middle is saying "Out, foul demon, begone in the name of Christ the redeemer etc," and Johnny's going "SUCK COCKS IN HELL!"
    it seems like a fairly simple, routine exorcism judging by the relaxed looks on the folkies faces. The guitarist looks a little nervous, though -perhaps it's his first exorcism.

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Creepy??
    He's mid sneeze, isn't he?

Leave a comment:

• candiman
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Very nice catch! That sleeve always spooks me a bit. If I ever found a copy I'd have to put it in a brown paper bag.
    Yes it is a very creepy sleeve, compellingly so .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X