April 2019 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 2019 finds

Popped out for beer and potatoes. Had to check the two local charity shops even though I had been in them a few days ago. One of the shops carries on with a 5 for £1 policy and long may it continue, and they had a new box out. Their offerings over the past year have been interesting. Mostly easy listening, some classical, and quite a few non UK releases in amongst (US , Canada, Brazil, various European countries). A lot of tat but also a lot of titles I haven't seen before. And for 20p a pop you can't go wrong. Here are today's 5, and I hit the jackpot with one of them.

Thelma Gracen. Had never heard of Thelma but described as a jazz singer so worth investigating. My find of the year so far. Cool jazz from 1956, this is just wonderful. An original deep groove US release from 1956 and sought after by the looks of things. Needs a clean but no nasty scratches this plays pretty well as it is.

Sweet And Lowdown. Lee Wiley sings George Gershwin and Cole Porter. Recordings made in 1939-40 transcribed from 78s. Another singer I was previously unaware of. Some good tracks on this, Find Me A Primitive Man for instance. I have been playing some of my 78s recently (with the wrong needle it transpires!) so this album fits in well with my mood for things ancient at the moment.

Morty Lewis – Happy Heart, Goodbye Columbus, Both Sides Now. Where Morty can't decide what to call his album (checking his discog it seems he had the same problem on his only other album). Morty is a sax player and blows his way through some poptastic jazztastic tunes. Very late 60s. In The Hall Of The Mountain King and Opus No.1 are the picks I think but the whole album will actually get another play from me.

Rock And Roll Giants. A misleading title. With tracks by John Lee Hooker, Billy Preston, Jimmy Reed, Chris Kenner are scattered amongst other more obvious R&Rers like Little Richard this is much more a Blues and R&B compilation really. Certainly not all original recordings but pretty good anyway.

New Music For Jazz Ensemble Vol XV. Designed to sell jazz charts for budding jazz musicians by the looks of things. Lots of tracks which seem to start, fade and then reprise. Good quality big band style jazz musicians by the sounds of things. Maybe some hidden breaks if I can be bothered to listen to it all.

A couple of years ago I was late for the WA Historical Society book fare. And I found a WRC copy of "Greek Variations".

Late again yesterday, what did I find?

Los Tropicanos are very MOR. Apparently Brazilian, but with Tijuana sounding trumpet.

Pupi Campo looks to be late 50s, and could well be 'genuine' for all I know.

The Cinq Modernes are US jazz guys earning a buck. As inoffensive as it looks. Paul Horn sounds good, but there is no getting past the format here.

$6 wasted, then.

Comment

And here are the photos.

Comment

Slightly more luck this morning.

Chris Bruhn gets called "schlager". But his tune "Hurrikan" goes along at a clip and has some nice bursts of Hammond.

Vertigo swirl Sabbath (Oz gatefold sleeve) was a bargain for $20. Should get $40 for that with no great effort.

$5 for Toni Campo was a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

Thelma Gracen. Had never heard of Thelma but described as a jazz singer so worth investigating. My find of the year so far. Cool jazz from 1956, this is just wonderful. An original deep groove US release from 1956 and sought after by the looks of things. Needs a clean but no nasty scratches this plays pretty well as it is.
          I'm a fan of her voice - she does a great version of "cow cow boogie" on this:

Stuck it on the xmas fringe download swap a few years back:

https://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/forum...196#post683196

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

I'm a fan of her voice - she does a great version of "cow cow boogie" on this:

Stuck it on the xmas fringe download swap a few years back:

https://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/forum...196#post683196
            I saw that . I had searched her name on here and yours was the only hit.

Not much about her on tbe 'net. I found a couple of Billboard news items from 55 -56 that described her as first a canary and then a thrush. So Billboard were tweeting way back then

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	R-1484037-1400769869-9917.jpeg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	1050011

Found a decent OG release of this for €3 on Saturday. La Chunga Sings - not very well, to be honest, but who cares - it's La Chunga!

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                Click image for larger version Name:	R-1484037-1400769869-9917.jpeg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	1050011

Found a decent OG release of this for €3 on Saturday. La Chunga Sings - not very well, to be honest, but who cares - it's La Chunga!

Awesome.

Comment

Some mid 70s Kraut Rock. The cover alone tempted me to part with £1.

it expands to this, where I find some of images vaguely disturbing. Pinholes in the corners suggest this was on a West German's bedroom (presumably) wall.

Udo Lindenberg & Das Panik-Orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

it expands to this, where I find some of images vaguely disturbing. Pinholes in the corners suggest this was on a West German's bedroom (presumably) wall.

You mean you don't find the cover disturbing?
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

You mean you don't find the cover disturbing?
                      Well now you come to mention it.
                      It certainly made me pull it out of the stack of dross I was flicking through though. Also because the text , and his badge , flagged it as being obviously German I suppose I didn't find it immediately disturbing, I just thought oh here is another wacky and somewhat crass German cover.

Comment

Yikes! Wait til you play it...
                        On the plus side, he made about 100 other LPs, so if you like it there are plenty more to enjoy, and all findable for .

Some people try to make a case for one of his earlier LPs being pretty good krautrock - I forget which one.

His lightbulb moment was seeing the gap in the market for German language vocals over bland MOR rock.

PS. Another German artist with intriguing LP covers you should really avoid: Frank Zander.
                        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I'm so excited.
                          Unused mid-80s Aurex stack sitting in my storeroom until my wife's birthday.
                          Discovered in local Aladdins cave of ancient tech. €80
                          Looks like I'll be back digging the cassette racks.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_191057.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1050049
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

As I expected, the vendor at my usual haunt had been holding things back from the dollar bin ready for today.

The Woody Herman has what at a glance looks like a a nasty scratch. In fact is dust easily removed.

Moe Kaufmann possibly too smooth for me - G+F?

Two Ottilie tracks on the Chris Barber. Nice sleeve too.

Punt on the next one on the basis of the track title "Soho Strut".

Punt on the next on the basis of "Electronic Bayan".

The discogs ask for this UK issue Art Pepper 10 inch is a bit more than $3.

The next two look exotic and groovesome. Web comments seem to bear that out.

I can't remember having heard any Arthur Lyman.

Libaek produced Sean and Sonia. Also co-wrote a track.

I recall the Nelson Riddle being a bit too easy for me. Worth $2 to see if it still is.

Comment

That Woody Herman is an old VV classic That's not the best Lyman LP, but there's a nice version of Lalo Schifrin/Jimmy Smith's "The Cat". Nice one on the Art Pepper

I think the Russian record is accordion - I have one by him, might even be the same one, I see there are least 6 sleeves for it online. I was intrigued by the mention of him playing the "hayan" - the cover painting of someone with an accordion (admittedly was quite small) and the photo of him holding an accordion on the back weren't enough of a clue, and yes, the hayan is a type of accordion. Was ok I think, not the true unleashing of evil that the instrument is capable of

Comment

Working...
                              X