No announcement yet.

April 2019 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some nice demos from Vinyl Revelations in Luton.
    eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

A mix of groovy LP's and 7"s have made their way into my cellar the past few weeks, including...

A nice pair of hippy self help albums, I never realized thought was such a menace.

I've always loved the title tune so was very pleased to come across the long player.

I knew nothing about this so bought it on the strength that it was on Island Records from '66
      and should have guessed from the rear that the title tracks were not the usual stuff that Island
      were releasing at the time, it turns out to be quite pleasant easy listening, sung in Italian.

some of the singles

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I don't often buy 78s, but couldn't resist these two from the tip shop (in amongst what looked like a pretty reasonable selection of mostly classical and UK dance bands)

Rosetta Howard & The Harlem Hamfats - If You're A Viper

classic drugs song - "I dreamed of a reefer 5 feet long..." etc.

Red "Pepper" Sam - Some of these Days

great novelty number by Billy Costello - he was original voice of Popeye until sacked

also was a Petula Clark single which looked bizarre seeing it on a 78. It was from '54, so still very much in the 78 period in the UK, but I think of her as being a 60s artist...

Comment

Hi everyone, first post here

I spent a week in the Cornwall and had a great time visiting charity shops (we don't have all these shops in France). I visited quite a lot of them and found some records A fun trip and a beautiful area

Comment

No charity shops in France- zoot alors! Don't you have Emmaus shops over there? My boss has a place near Carcassonne and they have an Emmaus there.

Nice to pick up a Third Ear Band LP in a charity. Ursula Smith (Pank) was a music teacher at our school a few years ago. She still does the odd classical gig around here.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Well you're right, we have Emmaus, that's all. And most of the time, it's outside the city center... They stock vinyl but it became quite impossible to find something good nowdays...

Comment

Self-taught Mancunian organ maestro Alan Haven tackles the songs of Lennon and McCartney on the Lowry Heritage Organ. From the bargain bins of Woodstock Vinyl in Chester.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alan-haven-lennonmcartney.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	1050295

Here's Alan in action in case you were wondering:

A great Bill Tidy illustration for the cover of the Fantastic Liverpool Party Record by Atarah's Band – in Merseyphonic sound:

Name:	atarah1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	571.4 KB
ID:	1050296

A brand new one - the far from bobbins soundtrack to Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story:

Name:	being-frank1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	1050297

I did my usual trick of staying in bed on Record Store Day and picking this up on monday after work. Hurrah! Chas & Dave ‎– Margate:

Name:	chas-dave-margate1.jpg
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	1050298

Edith Sitwell And Cecil Beaton face a grilling from John Freeman – Face To Face:

Name:	dame-edith-beaton-face1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	1050299

Some classic comedy from the magnificent Marx Brothers - yet with cover art that looks like it's been drawn by a 12-year-old let loose with some felt tips and only a vague notion of what a piano is. Found at Grey N Pink Records in Chester:

Name:	marx-brothers-best2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	1050300

Rescued from the Oxfam on Oldham Street, Manchester, some top bookshelf action from Noël Coward – The Master Sings:

Name:	noel-coward-master-sings.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	541.6 KB
ID:	1050301

Ron Moody in 1962 debuting his pioneering proto-Gummidge look – Move Along Sideways:

Name:	ron-moody-move-along.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	1050302

Ronnie Barker - "I'm going straight I am, straight as an arrow":

Name:	ronnie-barker-going-straigh.jpg
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	1050303

When England won the World Cup in 66, it's reassuring to know that Roy Hudd was right there, waiting in the wings ready to release the official celebration record the very second Bobby Moore had finished his shower. The Day We Won The Cup / Ramsey's Men

Name:	roy-hudd-day-won.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	1050304

Two different versions of the 10 inch Songs By Tom Lehrer:

Name:	tom-lehrer-songs.jpg
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	1050305

Name:	tom-lehrer-songs2.jpg
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	1050306

One for all you Sheffield wassocks! Tony Capstick – Capstick Comes Home:

Name:	tony-capstick-comes-home1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	1050307

Another rehomed charity shop find Victor Borge - Borgering On Genius:

Name:	victor-borge-borgering-geni.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	1050308

Worth a punt for a quid but it's one of those record I am only ever going to play once, and that was too much, a 1980 vinyl tribute to Warrington old and new from North Cheshire College:

Name:	warrington1.jpg
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	1050309

The Yetties, exploring that hinterland between novelty cider fuleed nonsense and genuine folk, Cider 'N' Song​​​​​​​:

Name:	yetties-cider-song1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	1050310

Our Friends The Yetties:

Name:	yetties-our-friends.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	1050311​​​​​​​
                The Downstairs Lounge
                http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Originally posted by Sound Chaser View Post
                  Hi everyone, first post here

I spent a week in the Cornwall and had a great time visiting charity shops (we don't have all these shops in France). I visited quite a lot of them and found some records A fun trip and a beautiful area

Wow Sound Chaser, you did well from the Chazzas!
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Thanks Turboellis! To be honest, I paid a bit more than the usual charity shop price for some albums (5£ for some of them, but I got the Third Ear Band for 50p which is great)

Comment

Originally posted by Sound Chaser View Post
                      Thanks Turboellis! To be honest, I paid a bit more than the usual charity shop price for some albums (5£ for some of them, but I got the Third Ear Band for 50p which is great)
                      A fiver is still great going, but paying 50p for an LP will always feel very thrilling, especially when it's a really good LP ... I felt like I was cheating when I paid 6 quid for New York Tendaberry from Disk Union ... cheating on my "rules" ... ha ha ha ... that's another thread ...
                      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Third Ear Band is a very nice charity find!

As a former big vintage sci-fi reader I love that Starcastle sleeve (with it's complete disregard for the laws of gravity).

Nice to see another owner of "Eldorado" on the board
                        Not sure there's many ELO fans still posting here now

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                          Self-taught Mancunian organ maestro Alan Haven tackles the songs of Lennon and McCartney on the Lowry Heritage Organ. From the bargain bins of Woodstock Vinyl in Chester.

Click image for larger version  Name:	alan-haven-lennonmcartney.jpg Views:	126 Size:	423.3 KB ID:	1050295

Here's Alan in action in case you were wondering:

I have a few Alan Haven LPs but not one - never seen Alan in action before - so thanks for the clip. He really can't keep still can he

Comment

I've seen that one maybe 4 or 5 times over the years, never found a "Haven For Sale" yet though (only have the Contour reissue). I think it's alright from memory, need to revisit. Hard to go wrong with Fab 4 covers I guess

Comment

Working...
                            X