May 2019 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2019 finds

with the car boot season in full swing allsorts of vinyl delights are beginning to turn up

I just liked the sleeve of this 12" which turns out to be someone called Dubble D ‎
    and sadly not the inspiration for the Walking On The Moon drum solo.

The sound of lots of old cars driving very...very... slowly... from London to Brighton including BBC's Blue Peter team .

The 2nd LP by Ivor Biggun aka Doc Cox from the 80's TV show "That's Life" features a whole host of erm, stars.

I have had this guy's How To Lose Weight album for years but until I found this one I never knew
    he had done one on smoking too, nice touch on the rear of the sleeve where there is a cigarette burn!

Various cover versions arranged by the dad of the 4AD record boss released on the Pinnacle label in 1974.

A nice pair of stereo originals, I have a friend in China who'll have these!

2 x compilations, the first is bands on the Bomp! imprint including The Flamin' Groovies

and a pretty good mix of Avon based new wave and indie bands

a few nice singles turned up today, this electronic sounds one is excellent and I like the copyright credit on the label

this 7" with it's signed sleeve has a great flourish on the signature!

I could hardly leave this oddity in a 50p box, a 10" album in the back of an A3 sized book released in 1970
    which includes a history of the London drinking holes, I wonder how many of these pubs are left today

The Garden Facebook Blog

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
    I have a friend in China
    Sounds like a euphemism. "Shane, you're moving a little gingerly- you haven't got 'a friend in China' have you"?.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

Sounds like a euphemism. "Shane, you're moving a little gingerly- you haven't got 'a friend in China' have you"?.
      I bloody have too you know!
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

That London Pub book looks like a great find.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
          That London Pub book looks like a great find.
          it's cheap on discogs too! https://www.discogs.com/Angus-McGill...elease/4585055

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

with the car boot season in full swing allsorts of vinyl delights are beginning to turn up

The 2nd LP by Ivor Biggun aka Doc Cox from the 80's TV show "That's Life" features a whole host of erm, stars.

Nice going Head Gardener. How trying is the Ivor Biggun album? I always thought the guy was a one hit wonder ...
            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

it's OK in a piss poor kinda way but this is the best track on it

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Find of May so far for me was this glam stomper for 50p out of the forgotten boxes under the shelves of my local record shop. Also picked up the Pryde LP on Polydor for 25p in a furniture warehouse in Dumfries last weekend so not a bad start to the springtime.

Comment

I very rarely come across any jazz (except trad) in chazzas so I was very happy to clutch these CDs a few days ago.

Comment

I very rarely come across any jazz (except trad) in chazzas so I was very happy to clutch these CDs a few days ago.

I'm imagining five or six rare-as-hell Japanese imports of the most whacked-out, skronktastic, free-jazz CDs by UK artists that even the most hardened collector has only heard of in the whispered imaginings of a crazy fool who thinks John Stevens is sending him messages from the other side. That's my guess; let's see the picture to see if I'm right.

Comment

it's OK in a piss poor kinda way but this is the best track on it

That's the best track! Looks like that will make a fine ashtray/clock.

Comment

Think I was the first to look through a big crate of new stock presumably donated over the bank holiday weekend. Mostly seemed to be the collection of an 80s soul/boogie/jazz funk fan (or bedroom DJ), but also some reggae and rock bits possibly from other owners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_150917.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1050399

Some original Trojan comps - Loch Ness Monster, Club Reggae and Tighten Up 3 and 4, plus Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp. The first's up for trade if anyone wants, but some good things I don't have on 45 on the Tighten Ups, like Jo-Jo Bennett "Leaving Rome", so holding on to those for a while.
                        Also a pretty battered funk compilation on Pye - The Bumper Funk Book - has some good tracks though, like Billy Clark, S.O.U.L, Maskman and the Agents, Lee Moses, etc

Name:	20190510_151304.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1050400

Savoy Brown - Raw Sienna - as a teenage blues fan I always assumed Savoy Brown was boring UK blues stuff, but had seen this posted a couple of times on Waxidermy. Needs a clean (and probably only VG then) but sounds pretty interesting
                        Fountainhead - s/t - assumed this would be prog or psych Ayn Rand fans, but it's a good jazz rock big band thing from Florida. Produced by Teo Macero. Two covers (MacArthur Park and Honky Tonk Woman) in quality parpy Vinyl Vulture style, and two long originals that get a bit more adventurous. Mentioned once before on the board years ago by Beddoes.
                        Al Green - Have A Good Time - thought this might be a bit rubbish from the late date, but is alright. "Something" (not the George Harrison song) good in particular.
                        Cheapo Donovan reissue. Judging by the bubble letter name on the back, the same owner as the Symarip (and presumably the rest of the reggae)

Name:	20190510_151421.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1050398

onto the 80s stuff
                        Street Sounds vol 9
                        Electro vol 2
                        Southern Freeez - not sure this kind of jazz funk is my thing, all sounds too fast, wish they'd slow it down
                        Ingram - Would You Like To Fly - nice album, this one was a whole pound, because it had the bonus 12" inside of "Mi Sabrina Tequana" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnT8jWsLmWk
                        Classic Mellow Mastercuts - vol 1 - excellent Ian Dewhirst compiled comp, only had a couple of these (Bobby Caldwell and Lowrell), also has Keni Burke, Leo's Sunshipp, etc. I bought a few of these comps back when Selectadisc had them cheap around the millennium, the Salsoul ones and a good funk one.
                        SOS Band - Just The Way You Like It - had only ever heard "Just Be Good To Me", this was ok

a few other cheapie LPs like Midnight Star - Planetary Invasion, Herbie Hancock - Future Shock (not a fan)

also loads of 12s, some cheapies just to upgrade from the 7" like Indeep "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life", Garnett Mimms "What It Is" and Janet Kay "Silly Games", but some more unusual ones:

Al Hudson - Spread Love - knew this one already, was planning on just flipping it, but made the mistake of listening to it
                        Curtis Hairston - I Want You All Tonight - great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzpfugLWY9A
                        Gladys Knight and the Pips - Taste of Bitter Love
                        The RAH Band - Questions - sounds pretty good pitched down
                        Patrice Rushen - Never Gonna Give You Up / Don't Blame Me
                        Bridge - Don't Hold Your Love Back
                        Lew Kirton - Talk To Me
                        Armenta - I Wanna Be With You - not a keeper, but check out the crazy vocoder business on Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmjqcnVNjS4
                        Grace Jones - Private Life / She's Lost Control - Sly & Robbie business, Joy Division cover version
                        Mary Jane Girls - Boys for the instrumental of "All Night Long" on the other side. Had this years ago but gave it away to someone who was a far better DJ than me...

bought over 40 things in the end...

Comment

oh whilst looking for info on the Mastercuts comps, found this interesting Soul-Source thread about various 80s soul scenes - 2 Step, Jazz Funk, Rare Groove etc:
                          https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums...2-step-thread/

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

I'm imagining five or six rare-as-hell Japanese imports of the most whacked-out, skronktastic, free-jazz CDs by UK artists that even the most hardened collector has only heard of in the whispered imaginings of a crazy fool who thinks John Stevens is sending him messages from the other side. That's my guess; let's see the picture to see if I'm right.
                            Now let's not get completely carried away. I don't know about skronktastic but Jon Faddis sounds like Sweep suffering a prolonged beating up by Sooty. The neighbourhood I was driving through when listening has now lost all its cats.

Comment

Now let's not get completely carried away. I don't know about skronktastic but Jon Faddis sounds like Sweep suffering a prolonged beating up by Sooty. The neighbourhood I was driving through when listening has now lost all its cats.
                              I can see them now I'm at home. The picture wasn't showing at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X