May 2019 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Fountainhead - s/t - assumed this would be prog or psych Ayn Rand fans, but it's a good jazz rock big band thing from Florida. Produced by Teo Macero. Two covers (MacArthur Park and Honky Tonk Woman) in quality parpy Vinyl Vulture style, and two long originals that get a bit more adventurous. Mentioned once before on the board years ago by Beddoes.
    This would be bang up Amidar's street. He's just vanished. Hope nothing bad happened.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

He's still around, he posted up some music on youtube recently

Comment

oh whilst looking for info on the Mastercuts comps, found this interesting Soul-Source thread about various 80s soul scenes - 2 Step, Jazz Funk, Rare Groove etc:
        https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums...2-step-thread/
        I remember reading this a while ago. It was interesting to me because I left the scene in about 1982 and had always struggled with the nuances and timelines of everything that followed the jazz-funk scene. I had been playing many of the tracks mentioned in different later scenes all together around 79-82. I thought kingprawn made the best comment which I think best put everything into context and it was a real shame that Boba never read it as he had died the previous year.

Coincidentally I have just been getting sentimental in the last couple of weeks and have started listening to some of BobA's old Sitting In The Park shows.

It is great that his collection has been preserved and made accessible https://blogs.colum.edu/cbmr/2018/10/30/sweet-soul/

Comment

Some unusual Edmundo Ros LPs all from the four-for-a-quid place over the past couple of months. Love the 50s sleeves on the first couple (although probably would look even nicer in the US gatefolds. Never seen most of these before. I know SirSlim or someone has recommended the "Nothing But Aces" with Caterina Valente before

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190514_191756.jpg Views:	27 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	1050417
          Last edited by bongolia; 15-05-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Some unusual Edmundo Ros LPs all from the four-for-a-quid place over the past couple of months. Love the 50s sleeves on the first couple (although probably would look even nicer in the US gatefolds. Never seen most of these before. I know SirSlim or someone has recommended the "Nothing But Aces" but Caterina Valente before

I have that 'Baions' LP but that's it. Four for quid! Around here it'd be one for four quid. Vynils are still expensive in local charities but It hardly matters as I never go in; the stock hardly changes from year to year.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I'm trying to make the most of the four-for-a-quid and 50p each places at the moment whilst it lasts. Bought a ridiculous number of records in the last 6 months, probably another 2 or 3 hundred more not posted up here.

re: Ros - Need to have a proper listen to all these and decide which to keep. I've had a few Edmundo Ros' LPs over the years - got rid of some later Eclipse reissues, but kept the brilliant "Hair Goes Latin" on Phase 4 of course, also I think i have the 70s one with the disco "Sunny" on (with Ed all casual on the front in denim cut-off shorts outside his house in Mill Hill, north London), and "Dancing With Edmundo" from 1960 with a lovely sleeve of his living room and kids. I like it when he sings too.

Comment

Some unusual Edmundo Ros LPs all from the four-for-a-quid place over the past couple of months. Love the 50s sleeves on the first couple (although probably would look even nicer in the US gatefolds. Never seen most of these before. I know SirSlim or someone has recommended the "Nothing But Aces" with Caterina Valente before

Click image for larger version Name:	20190514_191756.jpg Views:	27 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	1050417
                May well have been me - though I'm pretty sure others have too. Ian for one: https://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/forum...t-s-brit-bossa

My favourite off the "nothing but aces" is this one:

Never seen the "baions" one before - great cover!
                Last edited by SirSlim; 15-05-2019, 01:53 PM. Reason: Added link to Ian's Brit Bossa chart/mix

Comment

but some good things I don't have on 45 on the Tighten Ups

Those Trojan comps : from #3 to # 4, such an improvement in the presentation of their products

Comment

Ah, Number 3 should have a large folded nude poster insert with the model's face showing in that large die-cut centre hole. I think all the Tighten Up volumes have pervy sleeves aimed at the teenage boy / young single man market

Comment

On "nothing but aces" there's mahoosive timbale breaks a go-go on Be-in...
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Cheers, will listen out for that! Also the bossa track is very nice, forgot it was on IAN's Brit Bossa download.

If anyone interested in hearing some funky big band business, I just put the whole Fountainhead LP up on youtube:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n0Y0LaoZ5Y

Comment

picked up a nice handful of sevens at a garage sale in the week (all from the same stall)
                          I honestly didn't know about the rarity of the Mick Softley record, it just looked "interesting" and it was 30p...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ME5OhS_O8

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
                          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

nice return on investment on those!

some similarly priced but much less sought after 45s from recent weeks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_200030.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1050450
                            The Trebletones - Butlin Holiday - the same awful song on both sides (except one has the line "Good morning" and the other "Good evening")

some odd 80s synth pop things, all quite quirky...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_195624.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1050449

Endgames - First-Last-For Everything - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1s05bZO5xQ
                            uzz Hawkins - The Dancer (True Story) / (All The Rest Is) Hollywood - couldn't resist the sleeve. B-side not the Balearic gem a Discogs reviewer claims, but interesting enough
                            Savage Progress - Heart Begins To Beat
                            Ingrid Mansfield-Allman - Stop Wasting Your Time / Sister Slow - written and produced by Ian Dury and Chas Jankel. A-side is great, like a Blockheads song but with a better singer

also

Smokey Robinson - Point It Out - good later one, didn't know this

Della Reese - If It Feels Good - early 70s funky soul

Comment

Smokey Robinson - Point It Out - good later one, didn't know this

I picked this up on t'bay recently. Also hadn't heard it before, Good record as you say, B side Darling Dear is also good..
                              Cheap as chips too.

Comment

picked up eight 60s 45s I think for a quid, besides that and the Della Reese and Lee Dorsey "Holy Cow" (which I surprisingly didn't already have), the rest were pretty rubbish.

this Dan Penn/Spooner Oldham Box Tops B-side was alright I guess, blue-eyed Deep Soul:

"The Door You Closed To Me"

Comment

Working...
                                X