No announcement yet.

May 2019 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had some joy in my local charities this morning. The 1st Bread Love and Dreams LP (for half what they were asking for a Simple Minds 12"!) and a rare (I think) NWOBHM 45 albeit in a partied sleeve - the record itself
    plaus through fine though

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      Ingrid Mansfield-Allman - Stop Wasting Your Time / Sister Slow - written and produced by Ian Dury and Chas Jankel. A-side is great, like a Blockheads song but with a better singer
      oh just realised she's the singer on "Southern Freeez" too

Comment

Nice find on the first BL&D in the wild. I found an American issue while crate digging back in the early 90s. It's worth far less than the UK issue, though. It's a pretty solid album, too.
        https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Had to put this one on the credit card. But how often do you find one?
          Attached Files
          eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

^ not heard anything pre Led Zep, will have to have a listen.

back on more usual ground after the 1980s soul and synth, I just bought (and uploaded ) this Katie Lee 45 on Discogs pretty cheap, nice exotica-ish one by a fairly obscure folk singer on Specialty

covered by Dinah Washington and Jeri Southern but this original version doesn't seem to be very well known.

Comment

anyone know who these lot are , picked it up as it looked interesting , heavy rock

Mark Fletcher, Phil Mace, Chris Vian, Bill Pamplin

Comment

some more rock, but the other end of the obscurity spectrum - went out on the bike late afternoon, very hot, think the thermometer said 25C when I left.
                but the hill climbing turned out to be worth it, managed to find a few things just before closing, including this nice clean copy of the MC5 - Kick Out The Jams for 50p. No sleeve though, it was in another Elektra sleeve, a Tom Rush folk album, so possibly long since misfiled

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_164444.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1050503

I also bought the 1st Stylistics LP (with People Make The World Go Round on), probably unlikely many people have bought that combination of records before...

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  this nice clean copy of the MC5 - Kick Out The Jams for 50p.
                  Jammy!
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

tramping across the fields ear-lie in the mornin' has turned up some odd things including these albums

A strange one this (I liked the cover) and a really pleasant listen mix of choir and string quintet.

This was in the same box, not had a chance to listen to it yet but it had me by the warning on the front.

This nice pair of BBC albums I didn't already have were cheap in a charity shop

I wasn't aware that there was a TV show called The Comet Is Coming I had assumed the new band of the same name had come up with it.

A tatty sleeve but the record was fine and a great selection of themes including Record Breakers!

Now I know where Pink Floyd got their inspiration for the heartbeats at the start of Dark Side Of The Moon (probably)

some curious singles

The first two releases on the Reflection imprint

Two signed sevens

Three releases by 70's 'comedy' legends

I've three inch 7"s, square 7"s and all manner of picture disc 7"s but now I have the worlds first holographic 7" - and it was bloody difficult to photograph!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Found a Danish crazy groover about a snake and some 80s funk.

Name:	IMG_20190531_160922.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1050532
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190531_160517.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	1050529

Comment

Odds and ends, including trips to Nottingham and London...

================================

The Golden Age Of Arthur Askey - Hello Playmates!

Click image for larger version  Name:	arthur-askey-hello-playmat1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	508.3 KB ID:	1050770

Bob Newhart ‎– The Button Down Mind Strikes Back ‎– Vol. 2

Click image for larger version  Name:	bob-newhart-vol-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	397.7 KB ID:	1050771

Buddy Ebsen ‎– Howdy Hillbillies

Click image for larger version  Name:	buddy-ebsen-howdy-hillbilli.jpg Views:	11 Size:	482.1 KB ID:	1050772

Michael Flanders And Donald Swann* ‎– More Excerpts From 'At The Drop Of A Hat'

Click image for larger version  Name:	flanders-swann-more-excerpt.jpg Views:	10 Size:	395.5 KB ID:	1050773

Hector Nicol ‎– The Golden Years Of Hector Nicol

Johnny Morris – The Chestnut Man Stories

June Imray ‎– The Torry Quine Again

June Imray ‎– The Torry Quine

Ken Dodd ‎– Happiness

Ken Dodd ‎– Happiness
                        Unexpurgated : The Very Best Of Lenny Bruce

The Lord's Taverners At The Mansion House

Metal Mickey ‎– Lollipop

Metal Mickey ‎– Lollipop

Norrie Paramor And The The Midland Radio Orchestra ‎– BBC Top Tunes

Patsy Ann Noble With Martin Slavin And His Orchestra - Don't You Ever Change Your Mind

Patsy Ann Noble With Martin Slavin And His Orchestra - Don't You Ever Change Your Mind

Oscar Brand ‎– Sing-Along Bawdy Songs & Backroom Ballads

Forever (The Best Of Tracey Ullman)

Various ‎– Sad Songs Irish Style

Vivian Stanshall ‎– Sir Henry At Ndidi's Kraal

Vivian Stanshall ‎– Sir Henry At Ndidi's Kraal
                        Last edited by Agnes_Guano; 01-07-2019, 11:03 PM.
                        The Downstairs Lounge
                        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

I pulled these out of the cheapo bins at a local recordstore

Name:	finds1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1050789
                          I like a couple of thracks on the Guthrie and the Pine LP's, not sure about the Herbie Mann as it doesn't seem to do much to me. I remembered enjoying a track which is on that Sandra Sá album 'Olhos Coloridos way way back. Was hoping there was something of a similar vibe on the album but unfortunately there isn't. Haven't listened to the rest yet.

I also found these in there

Name:	finds2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1050790

I remembered somebody having recommended the Carla Bley to me and the Michael Chapman I just felt like taking with me although I know nothing about him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Agnes_Guano;n1050769][B]Odds and ends, including trips to Nottingham and London...

================================

The Golden Age Of Arthur Askey - Hello Playmates!

Click image for larger version Name:	arthur-askey-hello-playmat1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	508.3 KB ID:	1050770

Bob Newhart ‎– The Button Down Mind Strikes Back ‎– Vol. 2

Click image for larger version Name:	bob-newhart-vol-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	397.7 KB ID:	1050771

Buddy Ebsen ‎– Howdy Hillbillies

Click image for larger version Name:	buddy-ebsen-howdy-hillbilli.jpg Views:	11 Size:	482.1 KB ID:	1050772

Michael Flanders And Donald Swann* ‎– More Excerpts From 'At The Drop Of A Hat'

Click image for larger version Name:	flanders-swann-more-excerpt.jpg Views:	10 Size:	395.5 KB ID:	1050773

June Imray ‎– The Torry Quine Again

Ken Dodd ‎– Happiness

Ken Dodd ‎– Happiness

Metal Mickey ‎– Lollipop

Metal Mickey ‎– Lollipop

Various ‎– Sad Songs Irish Style

I found a copy of that June Imray 'Torry Quine Again' yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the jazzy moments on it - Last Bus Hame in particular

Comment

oh I passed up a copy of that yesterday, what exactly is it? I'd never heard of her until this thread - is it poetry over music?

Comment

Mostly spoken poetry in the Doric/Aberdonian vernacular but some of the songs have musical backing by the Alex Sutherland Band who were a jazz/easy combo who were resident in a few NE Scotland clubs from the 1950s onwards. The music various from cheesy pop (Aberdeen Olé is a take on Y Viva España) to jazzy like Last Bus Hame and a few other bits but only a few tracks have music. If it's 50p give it a punt - I'm liking it as a cheap punt to fit in with my local bias. It was actually to make up the ballast for a so many for so much deal that I picked it up as I'd passed on it a few times.

Comment

Working...
                                X