June 2019 finds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 2019 finds

Set me back the princely sum of 70p at a local sally Army shop. Good to see old fashioned pricing still prevailing at a few shops.

Perez Prado - El Fiesta De Baile . Some top notch Latin business on this. Very happy.

Tom Jones - Looking Out My Window. No further upgrade necessary. No discernible deterioration from its pressed condition 50odd(!) years ago. Found amongst a pile of 45s that were all anything but minty.

Great logo on that Viking LP. Don't recall seeing anything on that before.

Salvation Army shops seem to allow managers to set their own prices which is great. Other chains do this, but seem to have a default minimum for things that aren't priced higher

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      A budget US label according to Discogs. This is in an Egmont Records sleeve which was the UK outlet/sister label it seems. The record itself does not mention Egmont and has a Mecolico 4 1/2d sticker on it (an import sticker I believe). For an album that may have been released as long ago as 1958 (certainly before 1965 I would say) it has a label that looks very modern - a graduated shade of mint green, the layout reminds me of unofficial reggae albums. Apparently the "Perez" on this record may actually be his brother.

Comment

looks like it's yet another pressing of this LP: https://www.discogs.com/Perez-Prado-.../master/527172
        i am no Prado expert but that suggests it could be Dámaso (the "real" one) not Pantaleón (the imposter brother) ?

Comment

Picked up my daughter from the train station just now, which gave the opportunity for a quick 10 minutes in a chazza whilst I was waiting (as I am recently retired every day is potentially a chazza day now).

Looked promising as they had about double the amount of records than on my previous visit recently. Unfortunately all the new stuff seemed to be techno/drum&bass/etc 12inchers
          (i.e. that new unlistenable stuff I know nothing about ). Surely this stuff is the new landfill?

Rooted through them all anyway as you do and turned up these two , which was a result in the end.

Chaka Khan - I Know You I Live You / Clouds / You Got The Love. These are all remix/redits on the Rock Mo unofficial label - I Know You is the Danny Krivit reedit by all accounts. It maybe an unofficial label but it is top quality sound. I love Chaka and Rufus and this really hits the spot.

Patrick - Heart Beat / Reality Sound. Can't find any mention of this on-line. I think Patrick is Patrick Gayle, who may have been Bristol based, so a local release maybe. Thought correctly it would be reggae. 1998 so has a digi/dancehall vibe but pretty good anyway.

Comment

looks like it's yet another pressing of this LP: https://www.discogs.com/Perez-Prado-.../master/527172
            i am no Prado expert but that suggests it could be Dámaso (the "real" one) not Pantaleón (the imposter brother) ?

Well spotted. I gave up trying to match tracklists on his "real" releases.

Comment

I always just look for the track with the most unusual name ("Miami Beach Mambo" in this case) and search on that. I've identified a few retitled budget releases with that method

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_104343.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1050567

besides the MC5 LP these are the other 50p goodies from the junk shop:
                Grover Washington Jr - Feels So Good - only listened to Hydra so far with that great springy bass, which has been sampled a lot (89 listed on whosampled.com). Black Moon's "How Many MCs" is the first that comes to my mind
                Miroslav Vitous - Magical Shepherd - funky but bonkers, like his outfit. Surprisingly doesn't seem to have been sampled much
                The Stylistics - the first album, never seen this before, always just later LPs or comps
                The Main Ingredient - Super Hits - don't have any of theirs, i've been meaning to buy "Euphrates River" for about 20 years, but the UK sleeve is a bit rubbish and never wanted to pay the airmail for what's a cheap LP in the US. I think finding this is prompting me to just get on and buy one. Any other 45 or LP recommendations of theirs very welcome, they seem to have a big discography

Name:	20190602_104525.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1050568

Forever More - Words On Black Plastic - slightly folky, slightly prog 2nd album by the group who had been Hopscotch and two would go on to form the AWB. The first album has been mentioned on here before, I assume this sounds similar since it was recorded at the same sessions.

cheapish one from ebay, Rosemary Hardman - Firebird - one more for the Trailer collection. It's alright throughout, but was hoping this would be more acid folk, but only one track really fits that description.
                Some from proper shops, Janis Ian - For All The Seasons Of Your Mind - well known on here I think, been recommended quite a few times
                Gale Garnett and the Gentle Reign - An Audience With The King Of Wands - pretty odd psych thing, I only knew her folkier stuff (and the great "I'll Cry Alone" 45)

Name:	20190602_104638.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1050566

A few from Reckless, which I don't get to very often, but normally has some interesting things (and hi to Highland Cow)
                Strawbs - Dragonfly - very cheap copy - not bad, but not sure it's as good as From The Witchwood, so I wouldn't have paid the going rate
                Ramjohn Holda - Songs From the Guiana Jungle - folky business, for the (small) Guyana collection. (he's better known as "Ram John Holder" of course)
                Hassan Abu Seoud - Belly Dances From the Middle East 1 & 2 - not too funky of anything (and no synths) but pretty good stuff

Name:	20190602_105006.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1050565

Al Stephano and his Trio - Mambo Bongo Bash! - good budget label small group latin, and surprising charity find. Al's going to be annoyed that she's standing on his bongos though
                Bebo Valdes - Hot Cha Chas - ok latin LP on US Decca, also comes with a less racy sleeve
                Sylvie Vartan - comp. My euro knowledge is very poor, I mostly seem to find really dull French records. This is great though. Sure I've heard the name on here before
                The Pipers - People By The Sea - Canadian folk LP, recorded by a oil company or something. oddly the B-side is just instrumentals of the A-side

Name:	20190602_105200.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1050570

a couple of Millie Jackson LPs from the tip shop. Not had any of her LPs before, she is a bit rude. (also a toilet obsession on several sleeves? Get It Outcha System has a toilet on the back) - bizarrely these were in a big crate of the most boring unsellable charity fodder type stuff.
                Esther Mae Scott - Mama Ain't Nobody's Fool - hadn't heard of her before, this is her only album, she was 78 or something when this was recorded in '71. Blues, but quite varied (e.g. a Beatles cover). the band includes Roy Buchanan and Emmylou Harris
                Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon - the singles are obviously super common but don't recall seeing this LP before in a charity. "Easy Evil" sounded promising though, and it was worth the punt

Name:	20190602_104730.jpg
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1050569

Chaquito - Magic - with the budget looking sleeve I thought this was a comp or reissue at first, but it's not, and it's pretty good. I'm sure old Freddie from Scooby Doo there on the cover appears on another sleeve photo
                Paul Mauriat - El Condor Pasa - another rubbish sleeve, only the UK got this, the rest of the world has a better one. Never seen this in a charity before. "Etude In the Form Of Rhythm And Blues" is pretty well known, but there's a few good ones on here. I liked the Moody's cover "Melancholy Man"
                The Sandpipers - Guantanamera and Kumbaya. I had a later reissue of the former but always nice to find a US original, although not sure if a keeper. Some good tracks here but also some rather less good (could do without hearing any more covers of "La Bamba"). The other LP is called "The Wonder Of You" everywhere but the UK, and is pretty solid throughout.

Comment

I've got an LP on this label by Itsu Watanabe and Orchestra which you might expect to be Japanese but turns out to be Hawaiian music. Only one Japanese track on it
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190602_104638.jpg Views:	44 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	1050566

Hassan Abu Seoud - Belly Dances From the Middle East 1 & 2

For a second I thought that said BELLY DANCIN DONE ON THE MOOG...??!!

Comment

[
                      The Sandpipers - Guantanamera and Kumbaya. I had a later reissue of the former but always nice to find a US original, although not sure if a keeper. Some good tracks here but also some rather less good (could do without hearing any more covers of "La Bamba"). The other LP is called "The Wonder Of You" everywhere but the UK, and is pretty solid throughout.
                      The amount of times I've flicked past that Guantanamera LP over the years and then I heard this:

Now it's on my non-existant wants list

Comment

yeah, that's a highlight for sure. It's on a 45 too

Comment

Rosemary Hardman - Firebird - one more for the Trailer collection. It's alright throughout, but was hoping this would be more acid folk, but only one track really fits that description.
                          I really like this LP, though her voice takes some getting used to. Guitar by Chris Thompson is a big plus.

Comment

Name:	20190602_105200.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1050570

a couple of Millie Jackson LPs from the tip shop. Not had any of her LPs before, she is a bit rude. (also a toilet obsession on several sleeves? Get It Outcha System has a toilet on the back) - bizarrely these were in a big crate of the most boring unsellable charity fodder type stuff.
                            Esther Mae Scott - Mama Ain't Nobody's Fool - hadn't heard of her before, this is her only album, she was 78 or something when this was recorded in '71. Blues, but quite varied (e.g. a Beatles cover). the band includes Roy Buchanan and Emmylou Harris
                            Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon - the singles are obviously super common but don't recall seeing this LP before in a charity. "Easy Evil" sounded promising though, and it was worth the punt
                            Being a Soul boy I love Millie Jackson . The Feeling Bitchy cover is on my wall. That album includes All The Way Lover which is a stone cold classic in my book. I would say all her albums up to A Moment's Pleasure (the one after System) are worthwhile . She gets a bit silly after that and the quality really drops off. A few of her albums weave a story through the tracks, Caught Up being held up as something of a classic of the Soul concept album.
                            Besides toilets her feet were also evident on a number of her albums (see: http://darcysfeelit.blogspot.com/200...me-rapper.html )

Picked up that Dawn album in a chazza a couple of years back and that is the only time I remember seeing it. It was released as Tuneweaving in the US and had a hideous cover. Agree, Easy Evil is the standout track. I let the album go after ripping that one. From memory that was one of only two tracks that didn't feature Tony Orlando on vocals and they were all the better for it!

Comment

I doubt that there is anything here that will end up as part of the core collection. But there might be some moments of amusement there.

Some interesting tracks on the Big Crime Movie Themes. "Ascenseur Pour L 'echafaud"! "Des Femmes Disparaissent"!

It is the first time I have seen that Paul Mauriat. Mildly positive comments on the old site, I seem to recall.

Randy Newman did the music for Peyton Place; who knew?

Comment

Working...
                              X