July 2019 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 2019 Finds

A box full of singles and EPs from around the world in a chazza today (all in mint condition too). Heavy on the German unfortunately but well worth a detailed scan. Would have taken a punt on a few more but a £1 a pop so limited myself to these which I am very happy with.

Around the world in a morning: Jamaica - Lebanon - Brazil - Germany* - France - Zummerset.

Lili Verona - Traditional Songs Of Jamaica. A delight. Very much pre reggae. Is this mento? I'm no expert, certainly some calypso leanings. A brief internet trawl indicates Lili Verona may have made her way to London around the same time as Lord Kitchener. Hence the UK HMV EP I guess.

Rinda / Souad Hashem - Musical Souvenirs: Beirut. I can't begin to describe how great this EP is. Find of the year.

Trio Nago - Chanson du Folklore Breslien. Brazil before the rhythm really took over.Lovely.

Die Minstrels- Gruezi Wohl, Frau Stirnimaa! / Big Fat Daddy's Square Dance. *Actually the group were Swiss and this was a number one there although also a big hit in Germany and this is a German issue. I had to buy it for the cover, note the hairy armpit detail! Record itself is not as bad I thought it would be - fiddles and banjo rather than oompah.

Edith Piaf - Non Je Ne Regrette Rien.

Adge Cutler & The Wurzels - Scrumpy & Western
    . i have an enduring soft spot for Adge and his Wurzels. Of course I do come from 'round dese areal. 'Ark at ee.

Originally posted by candiman View Post

Rinda / Souad Hashem - Musical Souvenirs: Beirut. I can't begin to describe how great this EP is. Find of the year.
    That sounds intriguing ... I shall try and find that later ...

Nice catch!

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Lili Verona - Traditional Songs Of Jamaica. A delight. Very much pre reggae. Is this mento? I'm no expert, certainly some calypso leanings. A brief internet trawl indicates Lili Verona may have made her way to London around the same time as Lord Kitchener. Hence the UK HMV EP I guess.

Looks great!

"Massa Jonny" - Lili Verona

Is a big favourite with me - I only have it on this excellent comp from way back:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Cari...elease/3096970

Comment

So happy to see this here. Found it myself a while ago and included the Rinda track on the best of VG+ that Striker organised.

There's a few more tracks on this comp, but (from memory) the pick of the bunch is on the 7".
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

That sounds intriguing ... I shall try and find that later ...

Nice catch!
          I found it on this blog: https://lazyproduction-arabtunes.blo...wonderful.html

*Very* nice too!

Comment

3 from me ...

- To Rococo Rot And I-Sound ‎– Music Is A Hungry Ghost 2001
            My favourite electronica combo. Shit loads better than Kraftwerk. & no-one in Japan seems to care about them so it was ridiculously cheap.

- Various ‎– No-Cowboys 1980
            A compilation album by PragVEC under a variety of pseudonyms. Disk Union only had an expensive copy so I was delighted to find this much cheaper on Yahoo Auctions. Always loved the Bits EP from 1978. This is close to that.

- Tsutomu Yamashita* / Seiji Ozawa / Toru Takemitsu, Maki Ishii ‎–Cassiopeia / Sō-Gū II
            More adult atonal music for times when the Mrs is not around.

Comment

Some finds from the Luton Record Fair today. All half price. Glen Mason, A Moment Ago. Demo. Joyce Bond Review, Robin Hood Rides Again. Johnny Carroll & The Blue Caps, Black Leather Rebel. Judd Proctor, Nola. Carol Dean, Kissin. De Castro Sisters, The Things I Tell My Pillow. The Fireballs, Gunshot.American Breed, Mindrocker. Joe Barry, I Got A Feeling. Eddie Hodges, I Make Believe Its You. Dick and Deedee, Turn Afound. Demo. The Playmates,Your Love. The Hondells, Little Honda/Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys, Good Old Rock and Roll. Carolyn Hester, Aint That Rain. Demo. Dave Curtis And The Tremors, What Kind Of Girl Are You. The Big Three, You've Gotta Keep Her Under Hand. North May and the Surfin Cats, Salt Water Taffy/ Jerry Norell and The Beach Girls, What Is Surfin al! About. Jimmie Driftwood, John Paul Jones, Demo. The Keil Isles, Flip, Flop and Fly. Demo. Sounds Incorporated, Taboo. Bill Haley and His Comets, Dim, Dim the Lights EP. Fabian, Hound Dog Man. The Jon Deaux Trio, Not Wisely but too well. Peter Sellers, the unreleased She Loves You. The Troggs, Gonna Make You. Colombo Steele Band, The Heart of Trinidad. Paul Jones, Sony Boy Wjlliamson. Spencer Davis Group, Gimme Some Loving. Mike Douglas, Stranger On The Shore. The Kinks, Big Black Smoke. Yardbirds, still I'm sad. Jimi Hendrix, Hey Joe. Dudley Moore Trio, Duddly Dell. Buck Owens and the Buckeroos, There's Gonna Be Some Changes Made.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Duncan; 07-07-2019, 07:33 PM.
              eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

More from Luton Record Fair. Most £1 each. Double sided demo, Tony Bellus Robbin the cradle on the orange London label \ Eddie Hockey Lady May on blue Decca lable. The Shevells, I could conquer the world. Montanas, Ciao Baby, Pye demo. Mitch Ryder, I had it made. Ebony Keys, Brother Joe. Demo. The Dennksons, Be My Girl. Shirley and Johnny, And I Don't Want Your Love. Demo. Episode Six,Here, there and everywhear. Noel Harrison, A Young Girl Of Sixteen. Demo. Frankie Ford, Time after Time. Everit Herter, Don't get serious. Demo. The Brusers, Blue Girl. The Fendermen, Beach Party. Terri Dean, I'm Confessing. The Jaynetts, Sally go round the roses. Kim Cordell, Sweet Saturday Night. Dee Clark, Hey Little Girl. Johnny Tillotson, Our World. Demo. Harold Dorman, Mountain of Love. Carolyn Hester, What Does it Get You. Demo. Poni-Tales, Moody. Deano, Little Miss With It. Ramona King, Its In His Kiss. Bob B Soxx, Why Do Lovers Break Each Others Heart \ Zip A Dee Doo Dah. Demo. The Ramblettes, On Back Street. Andee Silver, Too Young To Go Steady. Dee Clark, Raindrops. The Jarmels, She Loves To Dance. Adamo, She Was An Angel. Demo.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Duncan; 07-07-2019, 05:39 PM.
                eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Lovely sunny weekend of car booting (next to a ballooning festival) has turned up some nice vinyl gems.

Some balloons were quite discreet, passing by at a safe distance.

One box turned up some original 60's albums in tip-top condition.

This old library album didn't have a sleeve but looked interesting enough.

Proof (as if it was needed) that I sometimes buy any old nonsense and I don't even like cricket (I love it, yeah)*

*actually I don't love it at all to be honest

Some balloons chose to come far too close, but some folks will do anything to get records these days!

This Christian folk album would be a different record altogether with a question mark after their name.

a few odd singles

A Coin Operator Release EP (for US jukeboxes maybe?)

I picked this up as I'd never come across this label before, which features 2 schools on the flip.

I'd never heard of this before and was quite excited when I came across it, but it turns out to be an old Bach tune played on a synth.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Tommy in the charity racks for 99p!!!!!!!
                    http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
                      Tommy in the charity racks for 99p!!!!!!!
                      - these things still happen then

Comment

Until I enlarged the picture I thought you meant The Who album and wondered what the fuss was about! That's an Oof-worthy find then...

Also "The Point" is great I finally found the Rupert & The Firebird LP the other day (well found one cheap that wasn't trashed) and from a quick skip through a couple of the songs reminded a lot me of The Point...

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

I picked this up as I'd never come across this label before, which features 2 schools on the flip.
                          seems a pretty obscure small label with a few folky looking things - I bought this nice mostly 12-string Pete Laity album on it last year: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6320827

I'd never heard of this before and was quite excited when I came across it, but it turns out to be an old Bach tune played on a synth.
                          there's a Dr Teleny album as well ("Stolen Gems") l that has a pretty good sleeve but very disappointing contents (and I really like synth classical stuff). Even worse, the copy I found a couple of weeks ago is a mid 70s reissue with a really boring artist name ("Pops Symphonic") and sleeve

Comment

Trio Nago - Chanson du Folklore Breslien. Brazil before the rhythm really took over.Lovely.
                            Just caught the Beirut LP on the blog Turboellis posted (like it's 2008 again!). Fantastic stuff, very reminiscent of some of the tracks on this favourite of mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R-6019895-1408985790-6286.jpeg.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1050855

Trio Nago is lovely stuff, too, especially the baiaos. The inclusion of Mulher Rendeira shows how north east styles went global before bossa did.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Don't think I posted this before. Found it a while back but it was from the tip and needed a clean before I could even play it.

Tickle - Mr Strange / Doing It The Way It's Done - odd 45 on a west country label that seems to have only otherwise put out a (comedy?) album and single both by a group called Bollards.

both sides are alright, not my usual thing, but I thought the B-side was pretty good in particular

Comment

Working...
                              X