July 2019 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    Don't think I posted this before. Found it a while back but it was from the tip and needed a clean before I could even play it.

Tickle - Mr Strange / Doing It The Way It's Done - odd 45 on a west country label that seems to have only otherwise put out a (comedy?) album and single both by a group called Bollards.

both sides are alright, not my usual thing, but I thought the B-side was pretty good in particular

Yes, that seems jaunty enough- the guitar helps add a little edge to it.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Mostly albums have turned up in boxes in fields this week, such as...

Quite nice Xian folk

A lovely old Sandie Shaw album in mono from '68 which is mostly cover versions but well chosen and the g/f cover is very cool.

A mysterious double sided EMI acetate was always going to tempt me to part with 50p, alas it turns out to be a recording of a school choir
      with no guitars or keyboards to be heard anywhere, damn.

One guy at the car boot had a very interesting box but demanded £5 a pop for his records,
      he had many I'd not seen or heard before including these which have turned out to be £20 well spent.

This was a 12" and upon investigation turned out to be a 2nd pressing, the only way of telling was the number crossed out on the inner poster number!

Always have to pick up a bit of cheese on my travels, signed on the back and endorsed by the great Dick Emery.

These 2 cute 5" clear discs with experimental Welsh electronica on were sent to me via the R-Bennig label boss Johnny R.

Got this sealed copy of Alexis Taylor's album from a bloke at the car boot who had 2 boxes of new albums and 12"s (DJ Shadow, Hot Chip etc) for £1 a pop!
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I passed by a second hand store today where there was a sign on the window that said 'clearance sale'. Worked my way through tons of vinyl that was at times hard to access as some of the boxes were behind some grinding machines and stuff. These are the ones I took with me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	liquidation.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1050904

Nothing really great to my ears so far upon first listen, Lobo, Anne Sylvestre (despite being backed by Alain Goraguer) and The Mike Curb Congregation will most likely not stick around for long. Not sure about the rest as each of them seems to have at least some sort of groovy track on them. The Japanese Royal Knights on the Soviet Melodyia label seem to get a groove going at one time but the record is scratched so badly it's hard to properly hear it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Last Saturday: car boot or record fair? It had to be record fair although I don't get too excited about them because I like a bargain. But it turned out to be the best of both worlds – a dealer I came across before had boxes and boxes... and boxes of albums 3 for a fiver. So it was like a car boot but in much better surroundings. A friend of mine gave up after a few boxes but I ploughed my way through them all. A lot of of country and bluegrass tinged albums it seemed. I picked out nine which I am almost entirely very happy with.

Family Lotus – Rendezvous. Bluegrass but sort of supercharged with bass and electric guitars along the way. Pretty good throughout and Weed Rag turns into something approaching a prog workout and is excellent.

Blue Mink – A Time Of Change. Their Bannerman was one of the first singles I obsessed over. This album has more than a few good moments. Warm Days, Warm Nights is the standout (in the credits: sexy voice on Warm Nights – kind lady from the bar!)

David Batteau – Happy In Hollywood. Qualifies for Yacht Rock I think. Good album. I was guessing David was half of Batteaux, and I think I'm right.

The Astromusical House of Scorpio. Really its all about the astrology bunkum being pedalled by Carroll Righter in the enclosed booklet. There are 12 of these of course. I bought it out of curiosity and because it is on the GWP label, a label I have a big soft spot for as it has some brilliant soul records on it (Debbie Taylor for example). I guessed it would be easy listening, and it is with no redeeming features or funky moments.

Rosalie Sorrels – Miscellaneous Abstract Record No.1
          Rosalie Sorrels with Bruce Carver – Live.

Two more for my growing Rosalie collection. I'm becoming a completist now. I wouldn't say this is my favourite type of music (American folk) by any stretch but there is something I can't explain about her songs and her delivery that really get to me.

Son Seals – Midnight Son. Excellent electric blues.

Seals & Crofts – Diamond Girl. I have never really explored their catalog. This was a good place to start. A solid album. Diamond Girl and Wisdom are great.

ZZ Hill – Down Home. I got carried away with the 3 for a fiver thing here. I guessed this would be a bit meh being 1980s. Disappointing Blues by numbers. I lasted four tracks and gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
            A mysterious double sided EMI acetate
            probably nothing to do with EMI, "emidisc" was just their brand name for the blank acetates

quality tracklisting there - These Boots..., Wombles and The Dambusters March

Comment

This was a 12" and upon investigation turned out to be a 2nd pressing, the only way of telling was the number crossed out on the inner poster number!
              Good old Crass. I'd had my guitar for some time, struggling to play it, when Crass came along and showed me how.

Comment

I went back to the same second hand store with the clearance sale, this time flipping through the 45s. I came out with these. The flipside to the Diablos 45 is actually not that bad. It was difficult to find some which had the actual record in their sleeves.

Name:	liquidation2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1050913
                The Romuald, Man, Marlboro, Diablos and Coop (Swiss supermarket chain advertisement 45 from the 60's) are already in my 45 boxes so if anybody would like to grab them as a freebie please tell me so in this thread (not via pm) and I'll gladly send them your way (Romuald and Diablos you'd have to do without picture sleeve though if that's ok).

Comment

Here's 3 from me. All from the same seller on Yahoo Auctions, my regular drain for throwing money down:

First some strange modern classical percussion, lovely timbres. About a tenner.

Name:	modc.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1050920

Then Yyvette Mimieux reading from Baudelaire's Flowers of Evil while Ali Akbar Khan plays sarod very nicely ... a bit less than a tenner I think ... I just saw it & knew I had to hear it ...

Name:	y.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1050921

And I can't resisit Anitta Kerr. Actually this was a couple of quid from Disk Union. "I Say A Little Prayer" "Alfie" that kind of thing. Love it.

Name:	kerr.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1050922

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Then Yyvette Mimieux reading from Baudelaire's Flowers of Evil while Ali Akbar Khan plays sarod very nicely ... a bit less than a tenner I think ... I just saw it & knew I had to hear it ...

Name:	y.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1050921

You're not kidding- that record has pretty much got 'WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT ME YET YOU IDIOT'? written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

You're not kidding- that record has pretty much got 'WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT ME YET YOU IDIOT'? written all over it.
                      Beautiful record , didnt know it had a Japanese reissue , hard filed , essential

Comment

I’ve wondered before about that “ Flowers of Evil”. Must punt in the unlikely event that I see a reasonable copy.

Comment

Tenner looks like a bargain for the perc lp: more on discogs.

Comment

Lovely sunny weekend of car booting (next to a ballooning festival) has turned up some nice vinyl gems.

This old library album didn't have a sleeve but looked interesting enough.

I own "Flamboyant Themes III". And none of those tracks are on it! (a bit of Discogs research informs me that the track titles belong to "Light Intimations Vol. III"). How odd! So what tracks does the LP actually play?
                            Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Here we have the fruits of several hours of traipsing around the charity shops of Fremantle and its hinterland.

John Gill (deceased) lived in Perth and could often be seen playing a piano in a mall in the city centre. I've been told that he was prodigiously talented and received offers of work from names in the US. Ragtime isn't really my thing, so I take that on trust. What I can say is that the title track is a complete onslaught.

Martinas is lush old-school EZ, with just enough of a latin component to avoid trade description issues. Slightly tatty looking vinyl plays remarkably well. Free to a good home.

Comment

I'd be interested in the Martinas LP, GLC. I suspect it's by Martin Slavin (and I like lush, old school EZ).
                                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                                X