Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Finds

all sorts of finds in fields over the weekend

Unusual to find a flexi plugging a book and in a fancy gate-fold sleeve with no expense spared, I hope it helped.

Guided tour of a Yugoslavian cave with bonus slides inside!

No relation to the band Slade, this Flame burned in the early 80's on the Malta pop scene.

A Rock 'n' Rollin' BBC demo, I thought he sounded a bit like Lonnie Donegan but that piano is pretty damn hot!

More BBC records in a pair of great old sleeves, actually just as I found them.

I have all kinds of meditation albums but never knew of this one before, on pink Charisma and produced by the guy behind so many great records.

Irish 60's Folk & spoken word

A great Island Records compilation, including a rare Tom Petty track.

I couldn't find out much about this oddity which is a mix of originals and Neil Young covers, it has a Deroy Records matrix of DER 1272

I was happy to pay 50p for this LP as the first track on side 2 caught my eye it's sealed but I'll bite the bullet.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Can't tell you anything about that Deroy except that it's from 1975 or (most likely) 1976.
    https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Pyewackett - s/t , 7 To Midnight, The Man in the Moon Drinks Claret

Instant Pyewackett collection from a chazza this week. Pyewackett have only ever had two mentions here and both of those were back in 2006 (I know the search thingy on this forum is a bit iffy but Pyewackett is such an unusual name I am betting it is accurate in this instance). Folky stuff from the 80s not that it is tainted by 80s production values. Overall pretty timeless with an interesting mix of instrumentals and vocal tracks. The standouts for me on each of these albums are the tracks that feature the voice of Rosie Cross (eg The Grey Cock). A shame she does not seem to be recorded on anything else.

Kathryn Tickell - Borderlands
      Son Of Morris On
      Steeleye Sapn - All Around My Hat

These others I couldn't leave because of their condition. Not a fan of Steeleye Span although always had a soft spot for the single All Around My Hat (schooldays memories) so will see if there is anything else worthwhile on the album. Others will be flipped I expect (although not for much I am sure).

Also picked up The Best Of Brubeck on Fontana which inexplicably does not include Take Five.

Comment

Almost bought a Pyewackett LP a while back but it looked like someone had tried to sandpaper out a huge scratch. Checked them out at the time on youtube and thought they were alright but a bit hit and miss.

The first Steeleye Span is excellent, proper acid folk era stuff, also the Woods Band LP (the couple that left Steeleye Span after the first album). Second and third are alright but heading more traditional (e.g. no drums on the second if I remember), then increasingly poppy and annoying after that...

I've been very slack on posting finds recently, but on the subject of folk I did pick up this nice one from the tip the other day:

Aleanna - s/t
        Young Brits playing Irish folk as far as I can tell, not found anything else yet by any of them. Mix of songs and "tunes" (i.e. instrumentals)

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
          I couldn't find out much about this oddity which is a mix of originals and Neil Young covers, it has a Deroy Records matrix of DER 1272

this LP looks great, I like the horse drawn on the labels (less so on the sleeve where they've just rotated it to make it look like it's rearing up on its back legs)

Comment

I won an interesting record selection in a pair of boxes at the auction today, lots of things I had not seen before and mostly in tip-top nick,
            there also seemed to be lot of ladies on the sleeves which may/may not be related to the fact that there were a LOT of old gentlemen's mags in the auction too!

it wasn't all about the ladies though, there were unexpected delights

these two were sold on a final reduction of 10p - thankfully the stickers are the type that are easily removed

A 12" acetate that sadly turned out to be another bloody church service...
            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

August finds.Davy Jones promo, A little bit me, a little bit you/She hangs out. Don't Do It by Dottie and Bonnie with Gun Fever by Baba Brooks on island records 1965. Clive Sands Witchi Tai To/In a dream 1965 demo. The Creation, Making Time/Try and stop me. 1966 freakbeat/garage rock with original sleeve. Sunbird, Brother bird/Love of the Free. 1970 demo. Clyde McPhatter, No matter what. Northern soul. 1957. Single side demo on London label. Bobby Day, Rockin Robin. 1958. Single side demo. Davy Jones prsents, Vinnie Basile, Gypsy Girl/ Girl. 1967 demo. The Packabeats, Big Man/Gypsy Beat. 1961 instrumental. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Jenny take a ride/ Baby jane. 1965. The Pretty Things, Children. 1967.
              Attached Files
              eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Three from me, all from the chazzas on my recent visit to Brexitland ...

James Brown ‎– Star Time: 4CDs + a book set! I think it's all the JB I'll ever need ...

Michel Legrand ‎– The Thomas Crown Affair (Original Motion Picture Score) UK version, bought after my Mrs overheard the chazza staff say there were more out the back ...

Lovely Polish 10 inch that turns out to be nursery rhymes ... ah well, can't win 'em all ...

Turbo

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I had a great time in Poland, so many stories, great spots, and I'll write in an older thread (Diggers guide?) about some of the destinations and charcaters we met out there!
                  My main MO was to land Polish music from Poland - easy right? There's so much UK/US out there, that it was sometimes difficult to pin down just native music at times. Having said that there were some oddball US records that showed up and needed a home... I wanted heavyweight Polish titans of Prog, Funk and Jazz, as well as many breaks as I could find based on prior research. This is going to take some time to sift through!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9917.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1051158

First up, Krakow. Largely High Fidelity, then Paul's Boutique and the flea market:

Name:	IMG_9912.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1051154
                  Paul's Boutique threw up some odd US stuff (Lily Tomlin?!?!), 5 zloty a pop:

Name:	IMG_9913.JPG
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1051155

Warsaw felt pricier, but there were bargins too, Muzant and Hey Joe had most of the goods... Nieman wasn't cheap.

Name:	IMG_9914.JPG
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1051156
                  Finally 'Music Fan' had boxes of cheap stuff, 10 records for 30 zloty (£6.30 ish? in total), straight away pulled out the two David McCallum's and then others followed... Check out Orion!

Name:	IMG_9915.JPG
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1051157

Bag back was 20kg, not that the staff at BA cared (I suspect they're busy with other things at the moment!)
                  Great holiday, where next?
                  Attached Files
                  "Son, do you have something to play those old records on?"

www.rustysheriff.com
                  www.myspace.com/rustysheriff

Comment

Originally posted by rusty sheriff View Post
                    I had a great time in Poland, so many stories, great spots, and I'll write in an older thread (Diggers guide?) about some of the destinations and charcaters we met out there!
                    My main MO was to land Polish music from Poland - easy right? There's so much UK/US out there, that it was sometimes difficult to pin down just native music at times. Having said that there were some oddball US records that showed up and needed a home... I wanted heavyweight Polish titans of Prog, Funk and Jazz, as well as many breaks as I could find based on prior research. This is going to take some time to sift through!
                    What a haul. You must have been getting there just before my son who, as predicted, came back with nowt. I should direct him to this post and say "What the bloody hell were you playing at you millennial tosser".
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

some nice car boot finds this week including a handful of scarce 7"s in lovely condition

An unusual French EP with a lenticular sleeve, it's hard to photograph it in all it's glory but it's very pretty.

One member of the band went on to join The Animals.

Two members of the band went to to join The Troggs.

Most of the band went on to become Family.

I was most pleased to come across a whole bunch of original Durium discs which were all released in the 1930's,
                      I have 2 or 3 of these which are the only ones I'd ever come across in years of collecting and then I find 11 of them in one box!

This one was issued at Xmas 1932 and features a play performed by Lloyds Bank staff

Advertising info on the rear

Best of all was a bunch of one-sided brown Durium flexi's all dating from the early 30's in a local record shop bag.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

What a haul. You must have been getting there just before my son who, as predicted, came back with nowt. I should direct him to this post and say "What the bloody hell were you playing at you millennial tosser".
                        Dad needs to expand the mind of son with either a tab or some pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty sheriff View Post

Bag back was 20kg, not that the staff at BA cared (I suspect they're busy with other things at the moment!)
                          Great holiday, where next?
                          Fuck, you did well ... just from the weight, there must be some good stuff ... the grass is always greener etc ...

Comment

Found these 3 at the Aviano flea market in Italy earlier in the month, have not had a chance to play these properly yet.

Good to add another Armando Sciascia 7" with risque cover to the collection and after hearing "interrabang" for the first time I made a pact with myself to buy any Berto Pisano LPs that crossed my path. The Electronic's was a last minute punt just before leaving - I think it may be a French equivalent of the UK Top of the Pops LPs?

Name:	P1010875.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1051171

Name:	P1010877.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1051172

Name:	P1010878.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1051173

Comment

I have the Blue Shadow cd. A solid Papa Was a Rolling Stone cover and one other very strong track IIRC. Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X