No announcement yet.

August Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were also a few things from just before my trip. They will probably surface soon in the classical thread.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	beggarsopera.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1051299

Nice start to the week finding this in a chazza shop before getting into work.
      'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
        Here are the vinyl fruits of my recent UK jaunt.
        The 3 Takemitsu LPs are from Turboellis. An unnecessary, though very welcome, response to some of my freebies.
        Freebies of the quality you sent my way could not be accepted without a response of some sort ... reminds me, I still haven't played the avant guarde piano. The other two were excellent.
        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Three from me ... a 4CD set of James Brown. In the books section of the chazza because of its shape ... makes total sense ...

Name:	R-1145507-1437717357-1361.jpeg.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1051304

My favourite Legrand soundtrack for a quid, thanks to my Mrs overhearing the staff talking about "records out the back"

and a Polish nursery rhyme record I mentioned elsewhere ...

Couldn't leave a record with a cover like that, could I ...?
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
            bits and bobs from the boots

A pair of budget label issues featuring Duffy Power, Al Saxon and some really twangy guitars and 15 tracks between the two of them!

What's the label name on these two, I can't make it out? The one on the right came out in Holland on PPK (Populaire Platen Kring) who released about 70 singles in the early-to-mid 60s in attractive sleeves like this, but without much information about their contents or origin.

With a US issue in a gate-fold sleeve (the UK one is only in a rubbish single sleeve) and a Dutch version on yellow vinyl
            and now this slightly s p a c e y sounding Quad version, no doubt I probably also have the CD and 8-track of it somewhere in the cellar...

Dutch yellow vinyl? Never heard of that, only the Canadian.

The most unusual finds this week were a couple of mysterious albums on the EMI Central Research Laboratories label that was completely
            new to me and with the words Experimental Record on them an absolute bargain at 50p a pop, even if they were gonna be rubbish.
            :
            :
            After a bit of research on this imprint I discovered only a couple of these discs seem to have been released before, one featured tracks
            by Wings from Band On The Run and the other (probably very collectible) had tracks from the first Queen album on it. Well unfortunately
            for me this one happened to feature the whole of this very common album by good old Manuel and His Music of The Mountains, damn.

I doubt any of these were ever released. They look like test pressings to me, i.e. test pressings never intended for release, possibly made simply to test some new piece of equipment or process with whatever materials were to hand, hence the mixed up/mismatched artists on each disc.

It reminds me of a CD I had long ago. I worked for Philips (electronics, not the record label) in the late 80s/early 90s and a demo CD was made to demonstrate manufacturing equipment that was coming online at that time. They pressed probably a few thousand and handed them out at an inhouse exhibition, sort of an open day for employees only. No artwork, no info on the disc itself. It contained tracks by mainstream artists. I dumped it. I wonder if its on discogs now?

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post

What's the label name on these two, I can't make it out? The one on the right came out in Holland on PPK (Populaire Platen Kring) who released about 70 singles in the early-to-mid 60s in attractive sleeves like this, but without much information about their contents or origin.

Dutch yellow vinyl? Never heard of that, only the Canadian.

the EP's label is this one

and yes you are correct - The Dan's LP is Canadian, It was because I have other Dutch coloured vinyls and wrongly assumed it was the same
              (slack I know, I never checked, tsk)
              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Pop Parade -- looking quickly at discogs, I recognise many of the covers as PPK releases, but the link betwee the two hasnt been made yet.
                Some of those covers are great.
                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Pop Parade is label subsidiary of Concert Hall. Which also features the 'two hands' logo.

Comment

Found this Transol "Beautiful Eyes" contact lenses record yesterday which looked potentially interesting, but it was only an empty sleeve

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190901_105920.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	1051349Click image for larger version  Name:	20190901_105942.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	1051350

Last edited by bongolia; 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Found this BBC oddity earlier in the month cheap in Reckless in Soho. Seems to be some sort of internal compilation of Dutch and German bands, not quite sure what the "Coded Music Scheme" was for - radio stations I guess?

Slightly odd tracklisting on this one given its pretty parpy contents - a song about suicide, covers of Miles Davis and Horace Silver, etc

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190810_083814.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	1051355

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190810_084139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	1051357

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190810_084123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	1051356

Comment

not much about the BBC Coded Music Scheme online, but after a bit of Googling seems to have been some sort of royalty-free music for BBC radio stations, either bought from other countries or recorded by shipping out people like Syd Dale to record in Germany for the day...

Comment

A few recent cheapies:

Name:	20190901_183137.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1051360

The Gabrieli Brass - The Canterbury Pilgrims - pleased to finally find this and 2 copies as well, so one's a freebie if anyone's interested.
                          Mike Batt - Portrait Of Elton John - suprisingly good, I guess it's also his very early stuff (this is 1971)
                          The Keyboards - Mancini Magic - Harpsichord Mood - also surprisingly good in parts - I like (some) Mancini and I like harpsichords, this is actually smooth easy with a harpsichord rather than baroque arrangements
                          John Keating Conducts The Electronic Philharmonic Orchestra - moogy classical arrangements, only played once so far, seemed alright
                          Sinewave - Stars & Guitars - Ike Isaacs guitars & bongos arrangements of TV themes
                          The Shadows - Specs Appeal - saw this on Ben's freebie list. Worth the 50p I think, pretty funky, might be more a breakz type record than a repeat listen though
                          Les Humphries - Singing Revolution and Singing Kaleidoscope - only have one other (the one with them wrapped in silver foil), never seem to see their records here so happy to find these two. Much the same type of material as the James Last Non Stop Dancing stuff, and quite enjoyable, pretty tough drums
                          Percy Faith - Disco Party - don't think i'd ever heard of this one, not played yet...

Name:	20190901_183402.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1051361

Edmundo Ros - Heading South Of The Border - this has the great "Light My Fire" comped on one of the InFlight Entertainment CDs. Nothing else really stood out from a single listen, except maybe Mrs Robinson...
                          Fool On the Hill - unknown artist budget Beatles easy affair on Deacon. I actually had this in the 90s but don't think I ever got round to listening to it. Surprisingly good, a keeper this time
                          Count Basie - Basie Meets Bond - only the budget reissue but pretty good arrangements here
                          The Wedgwoods with Wout Steenhuis - Here Come The Wedgwoods - produced and backed by Wout on his own (some nice overdubbed guitars, but he's no drummer)
                          Camp Galore - Deco Disco - been keeping an eye out for this, unfortunately this is a bit warped, plays ok but always looks a bit worrying seeing the arm go up and down. Thought this was a Leo Muller thing, but it's not at all (same low standard of graphic design as the SGA LPs though)
                          Eric Galloway & The Latin Beats - Dixie Goes Latin - bit of a hopeful buy, it's pretty rubbish, a few good sections in some tracks, but it's not really a combination they've got to work
                          Jimmy & Carol Owens / Pat Boone - Come Together - bit of a groove in places, but not a hidden Xian gem

Was in Suffolk for a few days last week, not much time for digging, but did find a few things at the Yoxford Antiques Centre (in a barn on one of the roads into the village). Often antique dealer's records can be a bit rubbish but there was one seller there (Nigel something) with 4 large crates of LPs and some 45s, some unusual stuff. Only bought these two because LPs were 4 quid each.
                          Larry Page - Rampage - disco/funk from an old VV name
                          Instant Sunshine - comedy record, seems quite hard to find. Have a comp of theirs and thought the best songs were on this, their first of three albums.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            The Keyboards - Mancini Magic - Harpsichord Mood - also surprisingly good in parts - I like (some) Mancini and I like harpsichords, this is actually smooth easy with a harpsichord rather than baroque arrangements
                            actually not all that smooth, doesn't sound like much time spent rehearsing the arrangements.

the Pink Panther theme is pleasingly shambolic:

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post
                              Chuffed to find these nice demos for a quid each yesterday, particularly the Cheynes

Think that sleeve which houses the 'Roger James 4' single is worth a few Bob.....

used for of Beatles demos etc.

may be wrong but think it's the Top Pop promo sleeve?

Comment

Going by popsike two empty top pop sleeves sold for £29 and £25 respectively. On eBay there are empty sleeves up for sale. It seems they are a potential for collecting sleeves only.
                                Last edited by Duncan; 03-09-2019, 10:06 AM.
                                eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Working...
                                X