No announcement yet.

August Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice promo by Sergio Mendes, Easy To Be Hard / Ye-Me-Le. And a signed 45 by Jerry Angelo, Crush Me / Mary Lou.

I've recently found out that Jerry Angelo was Wally Shackell born 1933 in Bridge St, Kilburn. In 1957 he joined the Five Dallas Boys. Most of the band came from Leicester. Wally recorded Shangri La with the Dallas Boys in 1957. He later moved to Australia. These details I found are published in a book Decca Studios and Klooks Kleek - West Hampstead Musical Heritage Remembered by Dick Weindling and Marianna Colloms. Published 2013 by West Lane Books. Avaliable on Amazon. This book is about the Decca recording Studios based in West Hampstead and the Artits who recorded there.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Duncan; 05-09-2019, 09:53 AM.
    eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      Going by popsike two empty top pop sleeves sold for £29 and £25 respectively. On eBay there are empty sleeves up for sale. It seems they are a potential for collecting sleeves only.
      Planet sleeves are good as are doctor bird/coxsone. Also various inners are worth buying. I've bought auction lots of 7s before just for the company sleevss.

Comment

Here goes another load of comedy and showbiz gems....

Alan Melville ‎– Melvillainy

Alan Melville ‎– Melvillainy

The debut single from the Singing Postman Allan Smethurst released by the radio presenter Ralph Tuck - Come Along A Me

Singing Postman Allan Smethurst Come Along A Me

A charity shop find from Fara Islington and a lovely surreal image on the cover of Anna Russell ‎– The Anna Russell Album? Volume ll

Anna Russell ‎– The Anna Russell Album? Volume ll

I bet you didn't know it had words! Carmen Silvera ‎– 'Allo 'Allo

Carmen Silvera ‎– 'Allo 'Allo

The Australian edition of the stage show by Peter Cook & Dudley Moore ‎– Behind The Fridge

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore ‎– Behind The Fridge

Another bargain £1 charity shop find. A double LP box set of a tribute to Noël Coward ‎– Cowardy Custard

Noël Coward ‎– Cowardy Custard

Dave Penny - Caerphilly comedian and one-time winner of Opportunity Knocks - this 1984 album was his sole foray onto vinyl ‎– In For A Penny......

Dave Penny ‎– In For A Penny......
        She's not wrong! Dora Bryan ‎– My Name Is Dora

Dora Bryan ‎– My Name Is Dora

From the Marie Curie shop in Highbury Corner, a Christmas 86 cash in from lovable yobbo Derek Jameson ‎– Yes Virginia (There Is A Santa Claus)

Derek Jameson ‎– Yes Virginia (There Is A Santa Claus)

This took some finding! Fenella Fielding's finest moment on vinyl and her only ever single release – Big Bad Mouse

Fenella Fielding – Big Bad Mouse

My Life At The Palace - The Frank Lamarr Story Signed "To Linda, I love you. Please come back with your mother" I'd love to know the story behind that dedication.

My Life At The Palace - The Frank Lamarr Story

'Jobsworth' - Fred Wedlock's follow up to his only charting single 'Oldest Swinger In Town' - originally written by Jeremy Taylor for the That's Life team and also released as a single. Neither effort troubled the charts.

Fred Wedlock ‎– Jobsworth

A Brother Lees single that has it all. A painfully unfunny novelty song on the a-side featuring 50 really bad comedy impressions, and a tuneless maudlin ballad that aims for the heart strings but actually tugs nothing but the lower intestine on the b-side. Fun for all the family!

The Brother Lees ‎– The Night That The Orchestra Sang

My sole purchase at the August Spitalfields Record Fair! George Formby And His Ukelele, No.3

George Formby And His Ukelele, No.3

A nice bit of subtle smut. Ivor Biggun and The Red-Nosed Burglars - The Winker's Album (Misprint)

Ivor Biggun and The Red-Nosed Burglars - The Winker's Album (Misprint)

A promo copy of Mr WC Humphreys' (aka John Inman) new single - Tiny Seed Of Love

John Inman - Tiny Seed Of Love

A nice bit of 1981 folk comedy nonsense from Scottish comedian Johnny Beattie – Scotch On The Rocks. Jimmy is still with us at the age of 92!

Johnny Beattie – Scotch On The Rocks from Scottish comedian Johnny Beattie – Scotch On The Rocks. Jimmy is still with us at the age of 92!

A 1976 one sided promo single from Lyntone announcing the forthcoming autobiography of Joyce Grenfell Requests The Pleasure

Joyce Grenfell Requests The Pleasure

From 1979 - Victor Maddern finds God and releases the prayer collection LP Just For Today - with the intention of selling a million copies. If it sold more than ten I would be surprised. It came with a letter, some leaflets to send to your friends and a photo of the Pope!

Victor Maddern  ‎– Just For Today

Victor Maddern At The Women's Institute... An 1984 album of theatrical reminiscences from Victor Maddern delivered to an appreciative audience of the Women's Institute. The rear album sleeve is inexplicably decorated with angry letters from the BBC and IBA asking him to stop writing to them!

Victor Maddern At The Women's Institute...

Liberace – Mr. Entertainment. Yeah well, I was in the Fara charity shop in Islington and it was only a £1. What was I going to do? Just leave it there?

Liberace – Mr. Entertainment

Some more subtle innuendo from Canadian comedy folksters Maclean And Maclean ‎– Dolli Parten's Tits

Maclean And Maclean ‎– Dolli Parten's Tits

The incomparable (and utterly bonkers) Rae Bourbon – You're Stepping On My Eyelashes!

Rae Bourbon – You're Stepping On My Eyelashes!

Bingo Crazy - An opportunistic 1973 single from Opportunity Knocks winner, the comedian, panto regular, clog dancer and Chaplin impressionist Ronnie Collis. Sadly for him, opportunity did not knock twice and this was his only ever single.

Ronnie Collis ‎– Bingo Crazy

1987 winners of the first revived series of Bob Says Opportunity Knocks! Welsh comedy music duo Gerallt Rosser & Lloyd Davies – Friends

Gerallt Rosser & Lloyd Davies – Friends

A Big Star In Hollywood - one for all you Doctor Who completists! A 1975 single from Sandra Dickinson written by her and future hubby Peter Davison.

Sandra Dickinson ‎– A Big Star In Hollywood

In 1965 Stratford Johns felt the overwhelming urge to release a record and share his interpretations of classic American show tunes with the world. A few misfires here and there but otherwise he demonstrates a fine tenor voice

Stratford Johns Sings

Fight The Flab - Bras, girdles and corselettes as endorsed by Terry Wogan

Fight The Flab - Terry Wogan

Tom Courtenay sings four Trevor Peacock songs from the A.T.V. production 'The Lads', including Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter, two years before Herman's Hermits had a US number 1 with the track.​​​​​​​

Tom Courtenay ‎– The Lads
        From the charity shops of Bakewell, The World Of Music Hall With The Great Stars Of The Thirties
        ​​​​​​
        The World Of Music Hall With The Great Stars Of The Thirties
        ​​​​​​​
        And finally, The Yetties ‎– The Village Band​​​​​​​. The Yetties seen here parading with the Sherborne Town Band outside their local, The White Hart in Yetminster.

The Yetties ‎– The Village Band
        The Downstairs Lounge
        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Charity shop tour this morning:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	brocki.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1051405
          The two 45s were worth going out already, one is my favourite Hildegard Knef tune on 45 (can get rid of the one-tracker album now) and the other is an italian version of 'spinning wheel'.

Jack Jersey however was a real mistake though.

Comment

Understandable, though. Based on the sleeve I might have take a punt that there would be a sly groover tucked away on it.

Comment

Jack Jersey was Dutch, real name Jack de Nijs, which my strange bilingual children translate as "Jack The Nice'.
              His records unforunately are the opposite of nice.
              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                Jack Jersey was Dutch, real name Jack de Nijs, which my strange bilingual children translate as "Jack The Nice'.
                His records unforunately are the opposite of nice.
                Before he went solo he was in a 60's beat group in Holland called the Losers. Only released two singles, Since You're Gone and Mexico followed by Give Me Time and The Jerkin Tree. Both minor collectables. I think the second record give me time/the jerkin tree is the better.
                eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                  not much about the BBC Coded Music Scheme online, but after a bit of Googling seems to have been some sort of royalty-free music for BBC radio stations, either bought from other countries or recorded by shipping out people like Syd Dale to record in Germany for the day...
                  Yes, that's it - they're essentially a precursor to the BBC Radioplay label, providing non-needletime music to fill up airtime on the Beeb when they couldn't play proper records due to Musician's Union rules - used extensively on Radio 2, BBC local radio and the test card in the 60s and 70s. And I am INCREDIBLY jealous you managed to find this.....especially in Reckless, I've not been able to find anything decent in there for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

Yes, that's it - they're essentially a precursor to the BBC Radioplay label, providing non-needletime music to fill up airtime on the Beeb when they couldn't play proper records due to Musician's Union rules - used extensively on Radio 2, BBC local radio and the test card in the 60s and 70s. And I am INCREDIBLY jealous you managed to find this.....especially in Reckless, I've not been able to find anything decent in there for years.
                    cheers LT, was definitely one of those records where you think "I'm not ever going to see another copy of this, am I?". Was only four quid but condition marked as "GOOD" - undergraded though, often the case in Reckless. It's a strange random collection this one (some of the other CMS LPs on Discogs look like they are single artist and single session)

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	20190810_084139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	1051357

And 'The Supersisters' mentioned here is Supersister, I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                        And 'The Supersisters' mentioned here is Supersister, I presume?
                        yes - I've added it on Discogs and hopefully linked to all the correct artists. Was a bit of a pain, there's a few misspellings and none of the orchestra names seemed to be quite right either

Comment

Yes, artist credits look fine to me - I think the West German Radio Dance Orchestra could probably be entered on the WDR Big Band Köln page as an ANV, but that's about the only suggestion I'd make.

Comment

Working...
                          X