No announcement yet.

September 2019 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always good to see "Exciting sounds" - one of my first site-related pulls.

Comment

I'm regretting passing up his "Solid Rockin' Brass" last year...

Comment

I moved it on. Too punchy.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
          Anita Harris - Just Loving You - not had any AH LPs before I don't think - some quite unusual songs and arrangements on here.
          Here's another one to look out for - Anita's very odd version of "watermelon man"

Comment

I was already keeping my eye for that one. I think I've had a couple of 45s of hers that weren't so memorable. Also I realise now I thought she was American and had got her confused with Anita Kerr who had a vocal group on various US easy records and the Rod McKuen ones

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190923_084934.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1051567

Icesa Le Brinda Lo Bueno - Ecuadorian hi-fi promo record - A-side has a bad poppy jingle and a long latin disco number, but the B-side is all "proper" latin from a quick skip through - half decent sounding cumbia by a group called Los Profetas and a few in another style I don't recognise yet
              Los Profetas might be Jaime Gale's group, who did one interesting lp for Fuentes before he became a bolero crooner.
              Ecuadorian records still seem to be much more under the radio than Colombian or Peruvian stuff.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

thanks, very possible. It didn't have an inner sleeve so I need to give it a bit of a clean first and then have a closer listen...

Comment

the ICESA hifi itself looks pretty cheap - I think it's Japanese stuff made to be rebadged for local markets. Last year I got rid of an inherited unit almost identical to the one on the bottom left which was branded "Teleton" in Europe. (I never had the green satin trousers though)

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

Here's another one to look out for - Anita's very odd version of "watermelon man"

I love Anita Harris.The first three LPs are pure magic. I'm just a sucker for her voice. Probably not going to suit the majority of listeners, though. I can't think of anyone else like her- a definite one-off. She was still a reasonably big star when I was younger. I've got a painting that once belonged to her- at least that's what the bloke who sold it to me said when I bought it about 30 years ago. I assumed he was telling the truth because I hadn't just told him I was a big Anita Harris fan, and it would have been a weird name to pull out of the air. I was buying it purely on it's similarity to the work of The Brotherhood of Ruralists and he said "I got that off Anita Harris'.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I'm another Anita fan (naturally). Look - My own personal signed copy!

The Downstairs Lounge
                      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

I visited a charity shop and brought home a few 45s. I bought the Rick James for the cover alone. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09341.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1051589Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09343.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1051590Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09342.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1051591Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09344.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1051592Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09347.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1051593

Comment

[QUOTE=Nocturnal Sunshine;n1051588]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09343.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1051590Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09342.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1051591

Don't know their version, but Manolo Caracol's version of Niña del Fuego is a key element of Magical Girl, probably my favourite Spanish film of the decade.

Rumba Tres song has a video from 1974, with surrealist sliced-open snowmen. Probably another Valerio Lazarov spectacular.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

love the snowmen video...

I found a Rumba Tres LP (from 1975 I think) the other day but it went straight back out, not sure I could deal with the combination of the vocals and funky early disco backing

Comment

Working...
                            X