September 2019 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 2019 Finds

Spent a couple of hours digging through the boxes of vinyl in a Chepstow antiques store this week. Well rinsed i'm sure but I was happy to do it anyway. There was a card in a box that said August new arrivals so it seems to get some refreshing.

Albums are 3 for a tenner so took my portable with me as that is too much to buy blind on. Glad I did too, picked out at least 20 albums that were at least interesting but in the end whittled it down to just the 3 on which I could justify the outlay at that price.
    Sort of skimmed through the singles in the end. Quite a few boxes but disappointing contents and at £1 a pop nothing worth taking.

Blue Mink - Only When I Laugh. Has had some sniffy comments on here in the (distant) past. I am a Blue Mink fan so I'm biased (The Banner Man being one of the earliest top 30 records I obsessed over) , but I think overall this is a really good album. A bit patchy but plenty of worthwhile tracks. Madeline Bell's voice is always a hit with me too, and Roger Cook was born in my home suburb - Fishponds - to boot.

Hariyali aur Rasta - Some early Bollywood. I must get more Bollywood , I am really starting to appreciate it lately. This will be playing in the house tomorrow when our son returns from his travels which included doing the Rickshaw Run in India.

Jon Hendricks Live. Side one is really hazy but it appears to be just dust so will need a clean. more than worth it for Reza alone anyway.

An EP in a beautiful sleeve featuring songs from the 1930 film released somewhat belatedly in 1957

Since I discovered one of the rarest Ron Grainer related records a few years ago (this 78rpm pre-releasing any of his soundtrack work)
    I seem compelled to seek out all his other records, and this was one I'd not seen or heard of before.

listen to Darkness Of My Life

This oddity (still in it's beautiful purple sleeve) features brothers Tony & Keith sharing the one disc,
    there are versions on the same record with Keith taking credit for both sides but maybe that was because
    Tony was being kind as he was the more famous of the two as drummer in The Shadows, there might even
    be a signature on one of the labels too, though it's hard to tell which brother did it.

listen to the fantastic flip side Hooker Street

This guy only made a few singles including this demo from the mid 70's but he was still making music as recent as 2015.

Another demo from the same box as the Meehan bros 7" was by the composer of the Hell's Angels '69 movie soundtrack.

A mid 70's acetate by The YC's of Hendon North - who I assume are the Young Christians of that parish,
    I tried in vain to work out quite which Sir Ian they are singing their praises to but it's either ex BBC director general
    Sir Ian Trethowan or Gandalf, I'm more convinced it's the former unless anyone knows more - listen by downloading it.

This Spanish band were so chuffed that someone bought their single they all kindly signed it on both sides.

I was best pleased with this pair of thoroughly Scottish EP's featuring songs and spoken word, there are 6 in the set in seems, hoots!
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

A mid 70's acetate by The YC's of Hendon North - who I assume are the Young Christians of that parish,
      I tried in vain to work out quite which Sir Ian they are singing their praises to but it's either ex BBC director general
      Sir Ian Trethowan or Gandalf, I'm more convinced it's the former unless anyone knows more - listen by downloading it.
      YC = Young Conservatives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Or...aron_Orr-Ewing

but I think that was just a ruse to make someone else suffer by listening to it...!

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

YC = Young Conservatives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Or...aron_Orr-Ewing

but I think that was just a ruse to make someone else suffer by listening to it...!
        haha, you could be right but this guy ain't no Sir - he's just a bloody Baron
        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

it's definitely about him, the first verse mention his name for starters...

Comment

ahh yes you are right, it was such a blink and you'd miss it bit, thanks for great detective work!
            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Once again, the Rock and Roll Collector's Record Fair. This is what I returned with:

The Beatles covers LP is the same as 'the Session men play' (Bill Le Sage etc.). I was tricked by the local sleeve. I can't remember if I have heard this. I suspect that I have and have rejected it.

Elmer Bernstein is crime jazz. Not bad. But probably not a keeper. I have moved on from crime jazz (or most of it).

Boots was a freebie! Well thought of here IIRC.

First listen to koto-plus-flute and it sounds pretty and kitsch. Possibly time has not been kind.

The mighty Duck. Bought on behalf of a friend.

Rico was my main punt. I am lukewarm about what I am hearing on Youtube. It was $30, so I should recoup (indeed I have already had one offer).

Comment

$30 is a great price for that Rico one!

North of the River Cole

Comment

I'm straying into Head Gardener territory with these two I picked up this morning:

North of the River Cole

Comment

More Don Banks. Nexus. Featuring Judy Bailey. I mentioned this in the classical thread a while back on the basis of a library copy. Delighted to find this.

There is a scratch on the first track of the Baroque Jazz Ensemble LP. Still worth it, though, I reckon. Never seen one before.

Not my favourite Libaek. But I wasn't about to leave it priced as it was.

And two funky sevens!
                    Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 20-09-2019, 12:29 PM. Reason: Nexus

Comment

that Baroque Jazz Ensemble looks nice, will check out later on youtube, I seem some/all of it's up (confusingly there's another BJE out there, plus the Baroque Jazz Trio...)
                      the group leader has a great name ("Simplicius Cheong")

Comment

Look like he posted the main clip.

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
                          I'm straying into Head Gardener territory with these two I picked up this morning:
                          oi! gitorfahmahland!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

^^ re: that Music GCE record - crazy that they were still pressing records for examinations in 1982 and not just using a tape

Comment

Some recent cheap stuff...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190923_085005.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1051566

Lennie Felix - Let's Put Out The Cat - rare UK piano trio jazz (but only worth about a tenner, and less in this crackly condition!) Pretty good despite the slightly gimmicky nature (all the song choices are about sleep). Maybe if it was on a cooler label than Top Rank might be better regarded.
                              Lloyd Lindroth and his Quartet - Harpists Bazaar! - a UK World Record Club release of something that's only otherwise a self-released US LP by the "Liberace of the harp". I assume maybe Capitol acquired the rights but never actually put it out. He has another LP where he gets a bit funky, sadly nothing of that ilk on here, but "Tequila" played on a harp is certainly something unusual.
                              Mike Sammes Singers - Sammes Session - another WRC, and possibly again without a normal release? This is all arrangements of classical pieces and given stupid names (e.g. "Will William Tell?"). Not bad, but doesn't have the stylish elegance of the Swingle Singers, can't see this lot recording with the MJQ in Paris.
                              City Of Westminster String Band - Knock Three Times - bit of John Schroeder I hadn't seen before. Don't think I have any of these LPs, got confused with the Westminster Silver Strings on Windmill or something. Enjoyed this, need a repeat listen but I think there was some alright stuff on here, like a version of "It's Too Late"

Name:	20190923_084952.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1051565

Pete Moore - Exciting Sounds Of Tomorrow - happy to find a nice mint copy of this old VV / 90s lounge classic for 50p, never had this version though, only the later pressing, and not played it for years, forgot how good it was. On an unusual fancy red Rediffusion label too (guess they switched to the yellow single-colour printing to save money)
                              Maxwell Plumm - another well known one, needs a clean and probably not a keeper but sounded amusingly amateurish from a quick listen (some strange dry sounds in the mix)
                              Five's Company - The Ballad Of Fred The Pixie - bonkers concept album thing on Saga. Lots of questions here, starting with why are there only three people in a band called "Five's Company"?
                              Anita Harris - Just Loving You - not had any AH LPs before I don't think - some quite unusual songs and arrangements on here.

Name:	20190923_084934.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1051567

quite a random selections of records in a single photo here...
                              Various - Ireland's Greatest Sounds - not played yet but looks cool - all beat/garage bands I think
                              Icesa Le Brinda Lo Bueno - Ecuadorian hi-fi promo record - A-side has a bad poppy jingle and a long latin disco number, but the B-side is all "proper" latin from a quick skip through - half decent sounding cumbia by a group called Los Profetas and a few in another style I don't recognise yet
                              Jon Anderson - Olias Of Sunhillow - was hoping for more "Short Stories" than "Tales Of Topographic Oceans" and wasn't disappointed, this does sound a bit Vangelis inspired, but not a keeper
                              and a sleeveless bit of jazz funk: Grover Washington Jr - Mister Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X