No announcement yet.

October finds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this morning from my local charity shop , looked interesting, seemingly withdrawn eps I discovered when home , eventually for the outbox though

Comment

one nice 45 in a local charity today:
      Misty In Roots - Oh Wicked Man

not sure if a keeper yet though

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
        this morning from my local charity shop , looked interesting, seemingly withdrawn eps I discovered when home , eventually for the outbox though

CBS had to withdraw these as Bob Dylan was only licensed to appear on Fontana LPs.
        eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Surely you mean Fontana had to withdraw these EPs because the licensing deal they'd struck with CBS/Columbia for Bob Dylan material only applied to LPs.
          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Decided to pass on the three Orangemen LPs in the charity ("Sam Wilson and the Loyalists - NO SURRENDER!" on Ace of Clubs was one I remember) and instead my 25p went on an LP of 7 speeches (in Farsi I presume) by the last Shah of Iran.
            https://www.discogs.com/Mohammad-Rez...elease/8488408

Destined for a quick flip unless for some reason anyone here is interested in such a thing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_083912.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1051718

Also a sleeveless Atomic Rooster - In Hearing Of among some other bits and bobs. Is that too Mojo-ish? some funky drumming on there anyway

Comment

and speaking of Mojo, I picked up 20 or 30 Mojo cover CDs recently at the tip. Some good stuff on there (Wolf People doing "Time" at a lively pace on the Dark Side Of The Moon covers one) but a bit annoying how they have to frame stuff around the usual artists - can't just be some good folk music, has to be "songs that inspired Bob Dylan" etc

Comment

I've had a busy week of driving and digging, with a trip up north to Arbroath & Dundee (where I will be moving to in the new year)
                as well as a local car boot sale down south. I didn't buy anything in the shops as there was an awful lot of local music for local people.
                There were much better things turning up at my local car boot, I was just lucky to get into a few boxes first as there is a lot of competition
                for vinyl. I started by tramping the streets of Arbroath on a grey and drizzly morning.

The local football ground/amusements.

There is a pretty harbour & lobster pot mountain.

I found one 2nd hand shop selling all manner of stuff but the vinyl looked very well thumbed, not a good sign.

The prices ranged from the ridiculous to the naah yer alright.

To grade the record "fair" would be over-grading it despite a VG sleeve.

A surprise to find this lurking among the Jim Reeves but parts of the sleeve were missing and the condition was VG/VG at best so I left it as it was priced a round £100.

The charity shops were awash with records featuring bagpipes

The tills of Arbroath never saw my paper and iron, I even skipped the chance of a smokie (smoked haddock snack)

To rub salt in the wound that a move up north may not yield good vinyl I went to the mid-week car boot upon my return home and turned up all manner of delights
                including a stash of weirdy albums at £3 a pop. I've never heard or seen any of them in the wild before so was happy again after my Scottish disappointment.

I also found a stash of odd singles, this one being the pick of the bunch

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

That's quite a move you're making there!

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                  The charity shops were awash with records featuring bagpipes
                  keep an eye out for the Jimmy Pryde LP

also, did you buy that Piobaireachd LP ? not heard that particular one but that style of playing is pretty good - can be very long drone-y melancholic pieces, much better than all the dreadful marching band type stuff. Bit odd hearing something not a million miles away from Terry Riley and the like coming from some retired military type in his kilt

Comment

alas I did nae pick that up laddie, sorry
                    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Cracking car boot finds there!

Comment

If that Occult Punk Band 45 was a steal, then it was a steal.

Comment

Unfortunately, the Ralph Dollimore LP that I overlooked last weekend had been snapped up. Give me that rather than all four of these.

The Shank/ Almeida is a spare; it is all a bit too polite. With the exception of "Harlem Samba" which is not too polite.

The Eric Jupp is also a spare. It was the subject of an early post by me - it has a site-friendly version of the John Sangster track "Kaffir Song".

I am pretty much past my CTI stage. So the Hubert Laws might not stay.

And I don't know about the Gil Evans. Side 2 sounds like run-of-the-mill small orchestra jazz. Web comment seems very positive, though.
                          Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 12-10-2019, 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            Decided to pass on the three Orangemen LPs in the charity ("Sam Wilson and the Loyalists - NO SURRENDER!" on Ace of Clubs was one I remember) and instead my 25p went on an LP of 7 speeches (in Farsi I presume) by the last Shah of Iran.
                            https://www.discogs.com/Mohammad-Rez...elease/8488408

Destined for a quick flip unless for some reason anyone here is interested in such a thing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_083912.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1051718

Wow. This reminds me, one of the someone must want this, but who? items gathering dust on the shelf of interesting stuff to sell is a copy of a book commemorating the coronation of the Shah of Iran, a thick large format book of photos & PR fluff (written in English) published in Iran in 1967 "with the compliments of Philips Iran". Maybe we should combine & cash in?
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Headgardener - an early welcome to our fair country! Get used to tartan and heather themed vinyl (and Sydney Devine)! I usually try to pop up to Dundee 2 or 3 times a year, I could maybe give you a shout if I'm about. I usually find something of interest kicking about somewhere in Dundee (with Perth, Forfar and Montrose also giving some joy at various points). I've never yet got to the big car boot sale/market at Errol Airfield - maybe you'll be able to give me the gen on it.

Edit - where is that 2nd hand shop in Arbroath? I don't recognise if from
                              my previous visits

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                                Headgardener - an early welcome to our fair country! Get used to tartan and heather themed vinyl (and Sydney Devine)! I usually try to pop up to Dundee 2 or 3 times a year, I could maybe give you a shout if I'm about. I usually find something of interest kicking about somewhere in Dundee (with Perth, Forfar and Montrose also giving some joy at various points). I've never yet got to the big car boot sale/market at Errol Airfield - maybe you'll be able to give me the gen on it.

Edit - where is that 2nd hand shop in Arbroath? I don't recognise if from
                                my previous visits
                                Cheers Dukowski83, I will be up there more in the new year, still got to sell the old house I'm in now first. There are plenty of shops in those towns and yes, I will be doing the rounds as much as I do here but in my brief digging spells there I have had little to no joy. I met the guy who runs that car boot (he has a 2nd hand shop in Dundee) and he told me of the vinyl treasures he has at home so who knows, I may get something when I get there. That 2nd hand shop is at the far end of the high street, I started one end and just kept walking but as you saw from the window sign it's not open all the time!
                                The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X