No announcement yet.

October finds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this today. The 4 Instants were Clem Cattini drummer with the Tornados, Dave Winters Bassist with the Ivy League, Micky Keen guitarist with The Ministry of Sound and Mike O'Niell keyboardist and vocalist with Nero and the Gladiators.
    Attached Files
    eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

That's a great album. One of the best albums to have an instrumental about toilets. I'm putting that out there.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Julie London Cry Me A River. Ruby and the RomanticsYoung Wings Can Fly High demo. The Citations Moon Race. Pat Harris & the Blackjacks Hippy Hippy Shake. Pat is the only female to cover this song as far as I know. The Tornados Dragonfly demo. Them E.P. nice clean copy. The Primatives You Said.
        Attached Files

Comment

I do like that Ruby and Romantics, lovely flute. I first heard the song through the Johnny and the Attractions rocksteady cover version

Comment

almost missed this euro free jazz private press LP, was in with some huge crates of mostly 80s pop and lightweight dance stuff (I bought a Tears For Fears LP to flip and feel disappointed with myself). Had looked through already, as had someone after me, then I spotted it as I was paying. Free jazz isn't my thing, so speak up if of interest. This is more the mucking about with electric guitars type rather than fire in a pet shop if that helps.

Catalogue Antwerpen - Live 11 Aug 1979 1:30 h Belgie

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_112603.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1051815

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              almost missed this euro free jazz private press LP, was in with some huge crates of mostly 80s pop and lightweight dance stuff (I bought a Tears For Fears LP to flip and feel disappointed with myself). Had looked through already, as had someone after me, then I spotted it as I was paying. Free jazz isn't my thing, so speak up if of interest. This is more the mucking about with electric guitars type rather than fire in a pet shop if that helps.

Looks like it might be up my strasse.
              'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

Nice demo northern soul favourite by Edwin Starr Time. Courtesy of my local vinyl emporium.
                Attached Files

Comment

Do we still say OOOOFFFF! ?
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I do like that Ruby and Romantics, lovely flute. I first heard the song through the Johnny and the Attractions rocksteady cover version
                    I only knew the Johnny and the Attractions version so you can chalk me up as another fan of Ruby now.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

non-oofs:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_163412.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.1 KB ID:	1051827

The Little Angels National Folk Ballet Of Korea - Mother Of Mine - kiddie pop choir (possibly still going?) founded by Sun Myung Moon (of the "Moonies" church). Rubbish (and potentially worrying) version of "I'm Getting Married In The Morning (Get Me To the Church On Time)" on the b-side
                      Jungle Juice - The Zoo Gang / Monkey Business - theme to "The Zoo Gang", I expect the fans of the 70s here will know this one. Evidently was meant to be the Paul & Linda McCartney track, but some hold up with the release of that meant it had to be re-recorded.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_163241.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	1051828

Two Gerry Anderson EPs, not had any of these before, they seemed to have churned out loads of releases

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_163700.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	1051831

From the crates with the Catalogue Antwerpen LP, George "Harmonica" Smith - Arkansas Trap - missing the sleeve unfortunately. Dutch reissue of a Deram LP. Produced by Mike Vernon (who then set up Blue Horizon) and it has that Blue Horizon/Fleetwood Mac sound (band here is Bacon Fat)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_163457.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	1051829

some maybe lesser-seen easy:
                      John & Thelma Keating - Songs Of Love - John showing off his wife's voice. Folk with orchestral arrangements, Scarborough Fair, etc plus a few more adventurous ones - En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor, one of Villa Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras, etc. Not sure if a keeper
                      The Polished Brass Of London - Top Brass - took a punt on this MfP one based on the presence of "Summertime" and it's a good latin-y version. Rest a bit smooth/show tune-y. Some UK jazzers/sessioners playing with members of an orchestra.
                      The Fluegel Knights - A Sign Of The Times - picked up another of their albums recently, never saw these before despite their tracks being on those common CBS samplers. Mellow and parpy.
                      Reginald Kilbey - The Sound Of Strings - sleeve is cooler than the record. This is super-smooth old-style pre-pop easy listening, but actually quite nice and interesting arrangements, thought I was listening to a classical record at points.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_163538.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	1051830

proper money now
                      John Gregory - Man For All Seasons - no introduction needed, thanks to the BIN section of the forum
                      Nick Ingman - Terminator - also very well known, never found one of these in the wild, this was a reasonable 20 quid on Discogs, was prompted to look by seeing someone on Twitter find one in a charity (they didn't know it)
                      Lettermen - First Class - again known here, this was a fiver or something on eBay. I hadn't heard it, so was expecting the typical WMS/cabaret covers record with maybe one or two "groovy" tracks, but this is something different and more interesting. Definitely "proper band" material
                      Frank Perry - Deep Peace - he was the drummer in Black Cat Bones (of that QE2 record / Paul Kossoff fame) but got fired (too jazz!). This full-on new age meditation stuff, but really drone-y and focused, not wishy-washy background stuff. Recommended a few times on Waxidermy and you know how chilled out they all are over there

Comment

Lettermen - First Class - again known here, this was a fiver or something on eBay. I hadn't heard it, so was expecting the typical WMS/cabaret covers record with maybe one or two "groovy" tracks, but this is something different and more interesting. Definitely "proper band" material
                        Not a link for the cheap BIN section - Craig Moerer currently has one listed for $215

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LETTERMEN...s/303317732270

Comment

I found this in the charity shop today so took a punt on it

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1051883Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1051884
                          I really like the track 'No time for Jesus' with it's flute, Spanish sounding guitar and the two woodsticks being hit together.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                            I can't see that they have tried their hands at reggae.
                            Please don't double dare them ...

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Please don't double dare them ...
                              Too late!

Aaaargh!!

Comment

A few years back I was mad keen to get "Irin-Ajo"by Third World (Kabaka/Winwood/Amao). Here it is for $1!

Except that it is a truncated version.

And I'm not sure now why I found it so compelling.

In fact, side two is just one big near miss. Some of the other tracks are truncated. None of them quite hit the mark. The Don Cherry track is nice; that will decide whether I keep the LP.

Perhaps I should listen to side one...

Comment

Working...
                                X