Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bongolia
    replied
    I have a feeling I may still have a copy of the HMV version of that with the original title somewhere!

Leave a comment:

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sambo.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1052020

Leave a comment:

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    I had the Jetliners 'Up Up and Away' LP before. On this evidence, I don't think their stuff is that amazing, or worth the elevated asking prices. Some solid covers of a number of 60s standards and brilliant design - the cover of that a go go LP is irresistible - but not really distinctive enough musically to warrant hanging on to. Kept it for a couple of years and was reluctant to part with it for a while as it's certainly decent and impressively obscure, but as the tracklisting isn't that novel, it wasn't earning repeat spins.

If they'd thrown in some original ditties, jettisoned the MOR stuff and kept the groovy cover tunes, would have made an excellent LP though.

Leave a comment:

• Tom B
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Name:	20191031_095551.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1051991

The Jetliners A Go Go at Blow Up - unfortunately the LP is pretty trashed
    As you will no doubt have seen, there's a message on the Discogs listing from someone who's after the cover

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by The Divine One View Post

Everything about that record just looks TOO "right" - band name, album title... and I just looked at the tracklisting on Discogs! Indian garage band does James Brown? Would love to hear it, great find!
    I think they were from Sri Lanka. I actually knew of the group and the album (they have a few others as well) before finding it. But it's the kind of find you want to follow on with some others from the same previous owner, and solitary finds make me think there might have been a load of others and someone missed this one or left it because of condition...

However I fear even after cleaning it I still won't be able to hear much, at least on the B-side. The A-side is less worn but has a couple of huge scratches right across it. Shame, because the sleeve is pretty tidy.

the whole of one of their other LPs is up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...28A41BD1C1C64D

I think a few tracks might have promise (or would have if I could play them) but I wouldn't hold out for anything too mind-blowing material wise though, they were just a covers band playing in posh bars AFAICT.

I see on youtube they had their farewell concert in 2013, and with horrific song choices - Cliff Richard, Mary Hopkin "Those Were The Days", etc

- edit, maybe that's a bit unfair on them and I'm just still annoyed about the condition.

They've been mentioned a few times on the forum before, a few people have had LPs... just had a search and I asked about them back in 2004, no recollection of why, probably after seeing an expensive LP at a record fair

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied

The Jetliners A Go Go at Blow Up - unfortunately the LP is pretty trashed, but no idea how this ended up in amongst the Max Bygraves and Readers Digest box sets
    Everything about that record just looks TOO "right" - band name, album title... and I just looked at the tracklisting on Discogs! Indian garage band does James Brown? Would love to hear it, great find!

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    does your Andromeda Strain have the full fold-out sleeve?

The Jetliners A Go Go at Blow Up - unfortunately the LP is pretty trashed, but no idea how this ended up in amongst the Max Bygraves and Readers Digest box sets

Yes it does. I think all the hexagonal ones do. It's also a promo, but I think there were a lot of promo versions.

Is the Jetliners playable? Looks promising.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    does your Andromeda Strain have the full fold-out sleeve?

more finds later, but a couple of pics from earlier:

Name:	20191031_100202.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1051992

of course I bought it

The Vauxhall Motor's Male Voice Choir - Cavaliers Of Song [geddit?!] - (that's not me asking £128 quid for it on Discogs!)
    Tracklisting looks terrible of course, but couldn't resist that sleeve

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Haven't done this for a while so here's 3 from Turbo, starting with one of my holy grails:

Name:	andr.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1051940
    An original copy in fairly decent nick from Amazon.com of all places ... this is in my top 5 soundtracks, fairly atonal but amazing sci-fi stuff ... by jazzman Gil Melle ...

The next turned up at DU looking brand new for about 4 quid ... nice, but not sure if it's a keeper yet ...

Name:	lamart.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1051941

Lastly, the theme song from the Meiko Kaji movie Jean's Blues ... a lovely song ... this is a more fleshed out version than the one that appears in the movie, the latter being absolutely perfect ... this version is only nearly perfect ...

Name:	jeans.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1051942

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
    A few years back I was mad keen to get "Irin-Ajo"by Third World (Kabaka/Winwood/Amao). Here it is for $1!

Except that it is a truncated version.

And I'm not sure now why I found it so compelling.

In fact, side two is just one big near miss. Some of the other tracks are truncated. None of them quite hit the mark. The Don Cherry track is nice; that will decide whether I keep the LP.

Perhaps I should listen to side one...
    I have this, and while it was nice to hear the tracks I hadn't heard before, I haven't listened to it again. I can't even remember the track you mention ...

I'll give it another listen before I send it on its way ...

Truncated comps are bloody annoying ... the ESP sampler is a case in point about 20 tracks a side, all 1 minute snippets ... at least Pillows & Prayers was full length tracks ...

Leave a comment:

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    Budget Cuts forever

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    A few years back I was mad keen to get "Irin-Ajo"by Third World (Kabaka/Winwood/Amao). Here it is for $1!

Except that it is a truncated version.

And I'm not sure now why I found it so compelling.

In fact, side two is just one big near miss. Some of the other tracks are truncated. None of them quite hit the mark. The Don Cherry track is nice; that will decide whether I keep the LP.

Perhaps I should listen to side one...

Leave a comment:

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Please don't double dare them ...
    Too late!

Aaaargh!!

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
    I can't see that they have tried their hands at reggae.
    Please don't double dare them ...

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Sunshine
    replied
    I found this in the charity shop today so took a punt on it

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1051883Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1051884
    I really like the track 'No time for Jesus' with it's flute, Spanish sounding guitar and the two woodsticks being hit together.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X