• Show
Clear All

• November 2019 Finds

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191103_162137.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1052056

Good start to the month - been after the Orchestra Werner Muller - The Strip Goes On for 20 years or so (seemed wrong to pay the going rate for it), so very pleased to find one in the wild for 25p (well, 4 for a quid, which also means having to pick up some terrible things to go with it)
    Malcolm & Alwyn - Fool's Wisdom - this was from the expensive box (a pound each). Smooth Xian folky thing. Listening now, quite pleasant, reminded me a bit of America.
    Don Harper / Denny Wright - Combo - various UK session types doing the Reinhardt/Grappelli thing
    Molly Molloy - Rock Dance - one of those instrumental records for dance schools, funky in that 70s library sort of way

Name:	20191103_162320.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1052055

These are actually from proper shops a while ago, never got round to posting them at the time.
    Chris Barber - Battersea Rain Dance - well known here I think, probably came up in that "funky trad" thread. I was a bit unimpressed from a quick skip through the tracks, but then enjoyed the whole thing on a proper listen
    Mike Longo - Talk With The Spirits - typically shit Pablo sleeve (an album title like that and they couldn't think of anything better?). This is funky and good, and doesn't seem to go for much.
    Bebe Manga ‎- Ami - Oyomiya - Cameroonian singer, recorded in France I think. Mostly quite mellow, there's one afro disco track
    The Mutual Understanding - In Wonderland - reissue from a few years back of an obscure Canadian album. Nice but I don't think it's particularly psychedelic despite the sleeve, much more in the easy listening / sunshine pop sound.

Name:	20191103_162354.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1052054
    and finally, picked this up the other day, no sleeve but it's a Neil Young live concert bootleg, not quite established which one yet, there are at least 3 on the label I think - actually I think it's a bootleg of a bootleg - the two guys who ran the label fell out in the early 70s, and the one less bothered about quality started bootlegging the other's releases. Not sure how common these are, would anyone be interested in this kind of thing?

Somewhere near Swindon.
    http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      Orchestra Werner Muller - The Strip Goes On
      it's not just about "Bodybuilding", there's two or three other good tracks on here. However the cover of "Sex Machine" is pretty bad, and the band almost growling "I like a sex machine!" throughout doesn't really help...

Comment

Nice find on the Werner Muller!
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

It was Saturday morning, I think a lot of people might have been watching some rugby thing or other at the time?

Now, a "Moody" would be nice please, vinyl gods...

Comment

Don Harper / Denny Wright - Combo - various UK session types doing the Reinhardt/Grappelli thing
            There's 3 tracks which get pretty funky with electric piano (+ Barry Morgan on drums). Looks like it was mentioned once briefly on here before...

Comment

Now, a "Moody" would be nice
              It's been a while since I heard mention of that on here.
              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Name:	20191103_162137.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1052056

Good start to the month - been after the Orchestra Werner Muller - The Strip Goes On for 20 years or so (seemed wrong to pay the going rate for it), so very pleased to find one in the wild for 25p
                ?
                Nice!

Comment

I picked up some nice and unusual 7"s in a couple of charity shops this week some familiar and several I'd never heard of before, including these demos.

Some other odds and ends

more info

more info

more info

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I visited a charity shop where somebody had dumped what it looked like their whole collection of Irish music. This is a genre I know virtually nothing of. Therefore I picked up a few to check out what it is like. The Clannad I had already and I like it so two copies can not hurt.

Name:	brocki_irish.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1052095

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Instant flashback to the Summer of 1972.

Car is parked up in Calais, my Dad has just driven through Belgium during the night (stopping for a brandy at 5am) to get to the ferry on time, I can't wait to tune in to Radio 1 again after being in Italy for 4 weeks and "School's out" wafts out of the car radio...

Comment

Great obscure finds HG
                        Love that Devil's Workshop - what a great popcorn sound. It was vaguely familiar, maybe I have it somewhere on a swap CD

Also crazy there seems to be no mention online of that Laurel Aitken produced Sugar Candy 45 - what is it? Pop? Reggae? Disco?

Comment

Promising start, Found a Led Zep 4 within 30 seconds of entering the first charity yesterday (only a mid 70s pressing). Think it's not one of the 743(!) already on Discogs...

also found an SRT 45 from 1984 which I was expecting to be horrific pop rock and turned out to be alright modern soul (instro on the b-side too)
                          BB and John - It Always Seems To Rain

(Signed by someone with the surname Caldwell but I don't think it's Bobby...)

Also another bit of 80s soul:

Smokey Robinson - And I Don't Love You - which is pretty good, unfortunately it's the UK 12" with a rubbish b-side and not the Larry Levan instrumental version which has some full-on dub effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBUy5VoLfg

Last edited by bongolia; 08-11-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

These two were from last weekend.

Avid fans of Don Burrows might recognise the first LP. He features, along with a few other Oz jazz names. However, there is nothing remotely hip about this. There is scarcely any jazz component. Stilted string arrangements. Clunky choral work. Out the door.

Not so long ago I wondered if Mark Isham had any background in jazz. I heard something of this on Youtube and it made enough of an impression for me to fork out $10 when confronted with the vinyl. Now it sounds to me like any number of other ECM recordings. Isham's background in jazz remains a matter of debate.

Comment

Great obscure finds HG
                              Love that Devil's Workshop - what a great popcorn sound. It was vaguely familiar, maybe I have it somewhere on a swap CD

Also crazy there seems to be no mention online of that Laurel Aitken produced Sugar Candy 45 - what is it? Pop? Reggae? Disco?
                              glammy pop very 1975 not a pinch of reggae to be heard!
                              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X