December finds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December finds.

Lee Aĺlen. Catwalk/Creole Alley. 1959 rock instrumental. Basil Gabbidon. One Night Baby/Rico and Johnny Freeman lane Shuffle. 1961 reggae.
    Last edited by Duncan; 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM.
    eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Jimi Hendrix. Are You Experienced. Savoy Brown. Blue Matter. John Mayall. Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton. Ten Years After. Original mono albums.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      Lee Aĺlen. Catwalk/Creole Alley. 1959 rock instrumental. Basil Gabidon. One Night Baby/Rico and Johnny Freeman lane Shuffle. 1961 reggae.
      That Moo's 45 is a nice find- I like those early Jamaican records.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Some vinyl finds from the last week or so, I went to Scotland last weekend so it's not hard to guess which ones I found up there!

This caught my eye in a charity shop in Arbroath as it had a track called Bagpipe Rock - which sadly turned out to be more Bagpipe Jazz, it's just awful.

Film producers are looking for a Scottish James Bond to replace Daniel Craig so maybe one of these guys could be considered?
        then again perhaps not.

Sleeve redacted for health and safety reasons, obviously.

Lush covers of Elvis tunes, really nice to listen to on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

More easy listening but a bit more upbeat.

Jake making a stab for the Xmas #1 in 1967

I only realised who this was after playing it, why it's Judie Tzuke! before she did her solo thing,
        it's the same song but a different version to the one on her great debut album a few years later.

oi gotta brand new football record and I got it for free, ooh arr

Best vinyl find of the week isn't actually a record at all as it's completely blank and unplayable, instead it has etchings around the label,
        and was only available to staff & special visitors to the EMI Distribution Centre Open Day in May 1977 and the Queens Silver Jubilee.

A rare case of the cover being better than the original.

A single-sided record promoting Fabergé products with old ITV World Of Sport presenter Dickie Davies doing a bit of chat on the end,
        there were only yellow vinyl copies pressed according to legend (Discogs) so this red one must be as collectibles as an A&M God Save The Queen.

King Kenny plugging the other soft drink on this 1973 flexi-disc.

Mmmm... shunting
        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

[QUOTE=Head Gardener;n1052422]Some vinyl finds from the last week or so, I went to Scotland last weekend so it's not hard to guess which ones I found up there!

Sleeve redacted for health and safety reasons, obviously.

This way by Paul Ableman. He is better known for writing books about TV shows like Shoestring, Porrige the inside story and Straight Up!, the autobiograpy of Arthur Daley..

Comment

[QUOTE=Duncan;n1052428]
            Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

This way by Paul Ableman. He is better known for writing books about TV shows like Shoestring, Porrige the inside story and Straight Up!, the autobiograpy of Arthur Daley..

The guy behind I Hear Voices. What a mind-blower of a novel I daresay!

DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC0500192_zpsyz1ueggt.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1052432

Name:	PC050015_zpsfhycgcvr.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1052431.

Sometimes God makes the jokes.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

A little while back the local branch of the ABC disposed of its CD collection - 20000 of them - to a charity. They have been emerging in dribs and drabs. At $2 a pop. There is an awful lot of chud. But there is enough good stuff to keep me going back.

Precious little action on the vinyl front, though. Here you see a gap filled in my Swingles collection. And a WRC (only?) release which I took a punt on. Way too polite.

Perhaps there will be something at tomorrow's record fair.

Comment

Wotcha all, it's been a pretty decent few weeks digging in these here parts - the following are all charity shop finds. Think the cheapest was part of a five for a quid bundle, and the priciest £2.99 ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6769.jpg Views:	0 Size:	693.6 KB ID:	1052449

L J IV - An Elizabethan Songbook – have to admit I didn't realise what this was, but was an inspired punt because I liked the groovy font on the cover, the Sixties protest badges/Elizabethan garb caught my eye (only later discovered the model was none other than Norma Winstone), and it was a CBS release from 1969, so likely to be my kind of thing. Didn't realise it's a pricey item, and LJ IV stands for London Jazz Four. So I think an "OOF!" is in order. Vinyl isn't perfect but still a good listen and some top notch noodling for jazzers.
                  Barber at the London Palladium – this only got a second look because I spotted the superb Joe Harriott guests on a couple of tracks.
                  Now Dig This! Jazz in 2 Keys – cute idea: a quality jazz quartet work through some standards for singers or musicians to practice over. The gatefold sleeve includes top line and chords for the six songs covered, and each side tackles them in a different key.
                  Lonnie Smith - Keep On Lovin' - 1976 pressing on Groove Merchant Records. Not a name I knew but it looked like a funky, jazzy, soul-y thing, and so it's proved. Definitely a keeper.

Comment

Here's a bit more of a quirky bundle, of varying quality ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6768.JPG Views:	0 Size:	849.3 KB ID:	1052451

The Cuddesdon College Choir Record 1972 - classic choral private press complete with typed sheet taped to the front with tracklisting, sleeve notes and various ordering gubbins.
                    The Rockin' Berries – another private press produced sometime in the 70s judging by the lads' white jacket / black shirts / big collars / hairy chest medallion combo. Looks like something flogged at gigs on the cabaret/chicken in a basket circuit. And sounds like it too. Reasonably capably played and sung, all covers bar two self-written numbers. And signed. In the Out pile.
                    Roy Smeck and his Magic Uke (London / Kapp 1965) – as an occasional ukulele player I guess I should know Roy, 'Wizard of the Strings', but he looked a cheery sort and I rather enjoyed listening to him in action. Bit jazzy, certainly virtuoso, and a million miles from Mr G Formby and his little stick of Blackpool rock. Nice vinyl.
                    Supersonic Sounds by Eric Winstone and his Orchestra - looked a bit of a VG+ classic to me. Avenue Records, 1972. Decent wokka wokka stab at Shaft, and other classy goes at Something, Good Vibrations, Good The Bad & The Ugly etc. Think I spotted a decent drum break in one of them. No doubt known in these parts.

Couple more, just 'cos I like 'em ...

Name:	IMG_6770.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	1052452

Tom Jones - Along Came Jones (Decca 1965) - I have a bit of soft spot for the Welsh song belter, and had never actually listened to one of his 60s albums, being only familiar with all the chart hits. And there's some good stuff on here, a clutch of beaty little movers that straddle pop, soul and rock with tight arrangements from Les Reed. Vinyl played better than it looks and I'll be hanging on to this one.
                    Alquin - The Mountain Queen - one of a clutch of very decent Dutch prog outfits from the 70s who I'd put up there with Earth & Fire. This was an album I've had before but the musicianship is so good I couldn't leave it there at £2.99. Highly recommended. UK Polydor press from 1972. Nice condition gatefold sleeve, barring a birthday dedication. I hope Shirley enjoyed her 18th on Nov 17

Right, that's all from me for now. Hope you've found something of interest!

Comment

Weird that Tom Jones sleeve. The out of focus branch being almost suggestive

Comment

Beautiful LP. In terms of music and condition.
                        Alexis corner with the sleeve notes and also the great photo...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Name:	20191207_185003.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	4.67 MB
ID:	1052459

Comment

Name:	20191207_185009.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	1052461

Comment

sic. Alexis Korner. Original spelling was annoyingly corrected.

Comment

Working...
                              X