January 2020 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2020 finds

Vinyl finds over new year in the Dundee area charity shops and Northamptonshire farm shops (!?)

There was no way on this gods earth I wasn't going to throw 50p at this beauty!

This was the pick of a whole bunch of Latvian/Polish albums on the Sutton Sound imprint, many of which had interesting sleeves.

A nice pair of Stooges 7"s in a record shop in Dundee for £2 a pop!

Released in the early 70's it consists of spoken word reports from people who had been in Burundi and had witnessed some of the horrors,
    it doesn't make for comfortable listening.

Disco Floyd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKH...ature=youtu.be

Along with the bales of hay and dead pheasants there were records to discover, including...

A bluesy one from 1968 which I had never come across before, love the sleeve art more than the music to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-s2_bcZFOo

Tales of woe, sample lyrics of the title track

It was Thursday the first of November, 1956 was the year
    From Springhill, Nova Scotia, the sad news we did hear
    An explosion there did happen, at the entrance to the mine
    To save the lives of those within, it was a race with time

Well over a hundred miners were trapped in Colliery four
    And hope of their survival grew dimmer by the hour
    Wives and families huddled ’round the pithead in the cold
    The tears they shed, the prayers they said, can never be retold...

An acetate for an un-released album by accordion maestro Marcosignori, I actually have a couple of his other albums
    so knew what I was getting into with my one pound purchase, this later album below was even released on Parlophone.

I was kindly sent a copy of this excellent new album this week by the chap who has recorded a couple of sessions for my show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_6L...ature=emb_logo
    Last edited by Head Gardener; 07-01-2020, 07:35 PM.
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

This was the pick of a whole bunch of Polish albums on the Sutton Sound imprint, many of which had interesting sleeves.
    they are Latvian not Polish - the label seems to have released a few Latvian things, recorded in the UK.

Found a couple of copies of another of their albums in a charity last year, it wasn't really folky or interesting enough to keep though unfortunately. Sold one for a whopping 2 pounds on Discogs, the other copy turned out to be warped

Comment

ahh thanks for for update Bongolia, have edited accordingly, it's a nice album this one too
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

As well as the records these were a bunch of the cassette tapes I picked up at the weekend.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bran blaen ebay.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1053079

Name:	Bili Dowcar .jpg
Views:	845
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	1053080
          An interesting call from a Friend at BBC Radio Cymru led me to a meeting with Aloma Jones. One half of the famous Welsh duo Toni ag Aloma . They had run a Bed And Breakfast for some years in Blackpool and were selling up to move back to Angelsey . Having a clear out they discovered a small box of Mint Bran 7" and a handful of the Power pop fave Bili Dowcar a'r Gwylanod. Absolutely bowled over to know there are a few more copies of one of the great Welsh rockers out there
          Attached Files
          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Nice finds! HG check yer PM's!
            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

sorted, thanks sbcf
              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post

Name:	Bran blaen ebay.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1053079

Name:	Bili Dowcar .jpg
Views:	845
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	1053080
                An interesting call from a Friend at BBC Radio Cymru led me to a meeting with Aloma Jones. One half of the famous Welsh duo Toni ag Aloma . They had run a Bed And Breakfast for some years in Blackpool and were selling up to move back to Angelsey . Having a clear out they discovered a small box of Mint Bran 7" and a handful of the Power pop fave Bili Dowcar a'r Gwylanod. Absolutely bowled over to know there are a few more copies of one of the great Welsh rockers out there
                Nice! A find that's truly SAIN rather than the opposite.
                Now, what do I stick on the deck: Tecwyn Ifan? Hergest? Huw Jones? The mighty Meic? Or my Hedfan repress?
                Nos du, nos da ...

Comment

Large ensemble jazz isn't often my thing. But the prospect of these guys doing "Manteca" seemed worth $4. I should recoup that if I move it on.
                  Attached Files

Comment

As well as lots of flexis finding their way into my racks recently I also came across an unusual market stall
                    with boxes and boxes of 7"s for a £1 a pop. I picked out all sorts of things which were hit and miss but I kinda
                    went with my gut feeling rather than knowledge as several of them I'd not seen before.

Belgian

Funky & Jazzy

Daphne Oram & Vera Gray EP from 1962

Miles & Coltrane play Monk

Acid Pysch from 1970

Martin (Williams) & Derrick (Morgan) released in 1962 (still in stunning condition)

early 60's beat group on a label I'd never seen before

produced the same year Jeff Wayne released his own War Of The Worlds

tatty sleeve / lovely disc

this never had a hope in heck of ever troubling the charts, it would have been nice to see the vid on TOTP though

Hong Kong EP from '64 by 張露 obviously

specially etched / one sided debut

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Cracking mixed bag.

Comment

cheers, there is more but I've posted twice today I'm not gonna hog the thread!!
                        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

All off the same stall? Lovely stuff.

Comment

yes, crackers
                            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I am curious about the Chris Barber in the light of your description and forum comments on some of his other work.

Also curious about his single version of "Mama told me not to come".

Comment

Working...
                              X