February 2020 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 2020 Finds

Most of these I picked up yesterday on a trip up north (to Wellingborough and Kettering) but some came from Scotland last week (in January, so sue me!)

UK issue of a US TV comedy show that ran from '68 to '73, but it hasn't aged that well

video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsQFUtMDvI

On first impressions this looked pretty grim but is actually OK (cheesy good) but Ray is sadly no relation to the drummer with Budgie
    and confusingly signs himself Phil on the rear of the sleeve.

A great double helping of beer related songs and poems released in 1977.

A jazzy film score from 1966.

This is the blue version of the same LP (which I think I already have) that has a yellow sleeve, this one is in better nick.

I love finding things like this I've never seen before, this is an in-store promo only compilation from 1972
    that has it's own stand on the back to place it on the shop counter and a sterling selection of tracks.

Unfortunately this has a tatty sleeve but the 10" disc is nice, hard to find in any condition to be honest.

Not surprisingly this turned up in Scotland, it's a promo 7" singing the virtues of Dundee in the coming age
    of technological enterprise to a minimal/ synth-pop backdrop, the only ever release on Tay Records niiice.

Another find north of the border was this bluesy single and 4 years before that Swedish band stole their name.

Sounds wise this pair of 60's Decca Phase 4 albums were pretty much the finds of the week, if only for the great covers!

The Garden Facebook Blog

some super sevens in a job lot over in Kettering, I just know in my heart I ain't gonna find stuff like this in Scotland...

The sleeve on this one should have just said 'classic warning'

I never even knew this existed, it came out before the Beserkley release a couple of years later

odds n ends

It came with the original insert, ahhh

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Classic. In our house I've only got to say 'What's the Word' for the call to come back from Mrs SK 'Johannesburg'.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Head Gardener, that Pulse 45 is pretty fun - Dundee "is a high tech city" indeed! Curious about that Roxette 45 you pulled, it has a similar label to a couple of singles I've found that came out of an Edinburgh pressing plant, although all the ones I've found have black labels insteaed of yellow but the box around the label name is the same and the CS prefix.Going to need to have a scour around to see if I can find out any more.....

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
          Head Gardener, that Pulse 45 is pretty fun - Dundee "is a high tech city" indeed! Curious about that Roxette 45 you pulled, it has a similar label to a couple of singles I've found that came out of an Edinburgh pressing plant, although all the ones I've found have black labels insteaed of yellow but the box around the label name is the same and the CS prefix.Going to need to have a scour around to see if I can find out any more.....
          the track I scanned was the flipside of this release https://www.discogs.com/Roxette-Blin...elease/8240551
          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

And we're back in the room! Hello again.

Arnold Ridley ‎– The Ghost Train
            A release from Arnold Ridley of Dad's Army fame. I think this might possibly be the oldest British comedy LP, it's certainly the oldest in my collection. In 1951, almost thirty years after Ridley wrote the original play, twenty years after the Jack Hulbert film, and ten years after the Arthur Askey version, Arnold Ridley released The Ghost Train on vinyl with Jack's brother Claude Hulbert in the lead and Ridley himself appearing as the station master.

A couple of freebies from a friend, not someone I had come across before but a completely and uniquely bonkers eccentric who unfortunately met a messy end, Mr Smith ‎– Two Very Similar Views Of Mr Smith:

Mr Smith ‎– Two Very Similar Views Of Mr Smith

The Amazing Mr Smith ‎– Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon As Possible:

The Amazing Mr Smith ‎– Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon As Possible

The Yugoslavian release of Benny Hill ‎– Ernie. Yeah it's got to that stage...

Benny Hill ‎– Ernie

Speaking of which, how about the Japanese release of The Goodies ‎– The Funky Gibbon:

The Goodies ‎– The Funky Gibbon

Or perhaps the German version of The Goodies ‎– Black Pudding Bertha (The Queen Of Northern Soul):

The Goodies ‎– Black Pudding Bertha (The Queen Of Northern Soul)

This has got to be the most obscure Irish comedy record I have found in a long while. And signed too! Chris Casey – Castle Capers:

Chris Casey – Castle Capers

A solid twelve inches of smut, (Roy) Chubby Brown ‎– The Condom Song:

(Roy) Chubby Brown ‎– The Condom Song

Don't let your party be a drag, Danny La Rue with Geoff Love And The Musicmakers ‎– Another Sing-Along Party:

Danny La Rue With Geoff Love And The Musicmakers ‎– Another Sing-Along Party

A find from High Street Books in New Mills - a 1974 album from Evel Knievel, a man who regularly crossed the fine line between bravery and stupidity in the name of popular entertainment.

Evel Knievel

A late period 1959 reissue of some 1930s recordings, George Formby ‎– Stepping Out With George:

George Formby ‎– Stepping Out With George

Another recently discovered artist, ​​​​​​yes it's everyone's favourite Dutch cockney yodeller George Van Dusen ‎– It's Party Time Again:

George Van Dusen ‎– It's Party Time Again

George Van Dusen ‎– It's Holiday Time Again:

Part one of three, my search for volume two continues... Hattie Jacques ‎– The Bungles Of Bojun 1:

Hattie Jacques ‎– The Bungles Of Bojun 1

Ian McShane ‎– From Both Sides Now - If you were friends with Ian McShane back in the early 90s and failed to tell him couldn't sing or that recording this album was a really really bad idea, then shame on you. Shame!​​​​​

Ian McShane ‎– From Both Sides Now

Andy Warhol's influence had reached as far as Solihull by the early 1990s Jasper Carrott – Condensed Classics:

Jasper Carrott – Condensed Classics

Presenting Joyce Grenfell:

Presenting Joyce Grenfell

Ken Dodd – Love Is Like A Violin (Although these days I would be happy to settle for just a quick fiddle):

Ken Dodd – Love Is Like A Violin

Singles were two for 99p at Glossop Oxfam. Needless to say I spent my pound coin wisely. Ken Dodd – Beautiful Dreamer:

Ken Dodd – Beautiful Dreamer

Mike Elliott – recordings from the Tyne Tees Television series At Last It's Mike Elliott transmitted by Channel 4 Television:

Mike Elliott – At Last It's Mike Elliott

Max Miller ‎– The Golden Age Of Max Miller:

Max Miller ‎– The Golden Age Of Max Miller

Scaffold ‎– Sold Out:

Scaffold ‎– Sold Out

A song taken from the 1973 stage revue Carry On London. Sid James ‎– Our House:

Sid James ‎– Our House

A Danish pressing of Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren single – Goodness Gracious Me. The UK never had sleeves that racy in 1960.

Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren – Goodness Gracious Me
            The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Just a one from me

Jah Woosh - Z Move: a nice early Bim Sherman production on his Elements label circa 1975 with Bim sparring a bit with Woosh at the start of the tune. Mine has the version label on both sides. Also released on Bim's Sun Dew label, as seen in the Youtube clip

North of the River Cole

Comment

eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

A signed Tarby! Even I haven't managed that.
                  The Downstairs Lounge
                  http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

finds from a weekend trip to Dundee and a day out in Reading.

Perhaps the only place I was ever going to find a fully sealed England football LP was going to be a charity shop in Scotland.

Bizarrely these 2 old rockers were in the same box in an Age Concern shop.

Weirdest find was this album of salesmen seminars by the Combined Group Of Companies, complete with booklet insert.

A great double album of Poe stories with excellent gruesome sound effects.

No nasty sound effects on this album that simply explains how you can win your scouting badges, zzzzzzzz......

No sexy sound effects here but a couple of good Donna Summer covers.

Mildly interesting unknown fact from a lifelong LFC fan : The day he retired in 1974 my parents brought home a new pet,
                    a myna bird who I named Shankly in tribute to the great man.

One of several excellent albums I have enjoyed after buying a big Jazz & Blues collection recently.

I found a handful of singles too and this one is a stand out oddity.

An over sized 78 flexi stuck onto card available in exchange for chocolate wrappers.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                      A signed Tarby! Even I haven't managed that.
                      I DJed a pre/after show party at Television Centre one time - I think it was the Bafta tribute show for Billy Connolly. Tarby was in the house and early on came up to me and asked if I'd be playing any of his records - flashing his trade mark grin.

I have to report that he went home disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

I DJed a pre/after show party at Television Centre one time - I think it was the Bafta tribute show for Billy Connolly. Tarby was in the house and early on came up to me and asked if I'd be playing any of his records - flashing his trade mark grin.

I have to report that he went home disappointed.
                        I could have helped you out there. My ex-girlfriend got so fed up with me not much liking the records she bought me (she didn't have a clue) that she pointedly bought me a copy of Tarby's 1985 single "Again" for my birthday.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The only single released by this blues band from Southport in Merseyside.
                          Attached Files
                          eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Two punts from Dusty Groove.

"Dear John" is run-of-the-mill mod jazz.

Most of "Sylvia" is rather lush big band jazz. "Something Like That" and "Blues for Tomorrow" show a bit more character, but not enough earn it a home here.

Coming soon to a record fair near you.

If you live here, that is.

Comment

Evening all.

Hope everyone is on good form.

Looks like my lofty ambitions of trying to provide more frequent updates have already fallen by the wayside. To be fair, I'm just not out looking for vinyl as much as I was as the opportunities are fewer due to a change in my work and also have different extra-curricular interests these days.

But I'll keep trying and see if I can turn up the occasional nugget.

The above were all from charity shops in the Ashfield area of Notts. The Mac and Voyage hadn't even been put out yet, the shop manager saw me looking at the stuff on the shop floor and told me another bag was out the back. Always good when that happens. Gripped and flipped on the Jacqueline Du Pre and put the proceeds towards a Valentine's pressie for my (considerably) prettier half. The David Whittaker Orchestra LP was that bit too fromage for me and will therefore be in the next round of freebies (which I should be able to do in a few weeks).

Some charity shop 12"s. Already gifted Blur to my mate as he loves 'Modern Life...' era Blur. I've kept all the others, particularly chuffed with Jocelyn Brown ('Somebody Else's Guy') and Sharon Redd ('Never Give You Up').

A bit of a random selection. Roses for a quid off a market stall while I was out trawling charity shops - can't fault that really. Husker Du was off my pal on Grantham Market, I've heard so much about them that I thought I should give it a go. Sorry, just didn't do it for me and I'll be fobbing it off on my mate. This is the second Claire Martin LP I've found in a charity shop recently. No brainer to pick summat up when it's on an audiophile label like Linn - t's missing the inner though. Never mind. Nice to find this sought after bit of Xian acid folk in the Cancer Research up the road from my office.

More randomness. Top left is Bruce Spelman, who I'd never heard of before finding this in a charity shop in Alfreton. I rather like it and it says on the liner notes that the musicians can't be named for legal reasons or summat, well, they sound incredibly familiar - our usual cadre of library sessioners I reckon. Pardon my ignorance, but I never knew that the lovely Astrud made a record with Hansi.....until I found it in the RSPCA shop in Eastwood (IIRC). I find the 80s production that bit too bright, so it's in the freebies pile. Found this Ramsey Lewis in an Antiques Centre, it's one that I've taken ages to turn up in the wild ('Tambura' is the biggie). Last one is an interweb purchase, being on a bit of a Levan kick at the mo, I decided to treat myself to the Padlock EP, which is pure classic.

First three of these 12"s were from the Antiques Centre. You can never have too many copies of 'I Travel' (think I've got three now), more Levan action and a clean copy of Raw Silk to replace one that I recently admitted defeat with. Tom Tom Club was off the market - no idea what happened to my last copy of this, I actually thought I'd still got it and this would have been a spare to give to my mate, but when I checked I realised I'll need to hang onto it. Oh, go on then, if I must.

Some more off the market. Bottom two are '....Rhythm Stick' and the reissue / remixes of 'Nag, Nag, Nag'.

I clearly need to raise my game a bit, but I'm quite enjoying not feeling compelled to spend so much time dragging my aching knees on futile expeditions in pursuit of the black stuff.
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X