April finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April finds

Two days ago my work took me out to a library. Close by was Dada Records. And it was open!

I was the only customer.

I had seen this before and dithered. Here was my chance to support local business and maintain continuity in this thread.

Slightly thwarted, though, by owner Rob, who refused to process a credit card transaction for $2. Not clear if it was a gift or if he will add $2 to my next purchase.

There it is on Discogs - no one has it and no one wants it.

I wonder what it will sound like.

"the exciting music of the latins" !

also - carry cash! I can't be the only person on here who always carries cash and some small change in case of finding records whilst out and about...

Comment

I do normally, but I ditched most of my metal objects because of the hassle they would cause at the metal detector in the library entrance.

There is another, less common, Aurora LP. I saw the sleeve a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
        Two days ago my work took me out to a library. Close by was Dada Records. And it was open!

I was the only customer.

I had seen this before and dithered. Here was my chance to support local business and maintain continuity in this thread.

Slightly thwarted, though, by owner Rob, who refused to process a credit card transaction for $2. Not clear if it was a gift or if he will add $2 to my next purchase.

There it is on Discogs - no one has it and no one wants it.

I wonder what it will sound like.
        You are certainly turning up all the interesting looking accordion records at the moment GLC...

Comment

A couple more bits for my On-U shelf...

Koot's "Mississippi Soul" 12" with an uncredited Sherwood mix on "Kosmosis"

and a white label of Andy Fairley's "System Vertigo" with a printer's proof sleeve

North of the River Cole

Comment

Driving close to Fremantle earlier today I noticed a roadside sign saying "Retro".

I guessed from this that a shop I occasionally frequent was open.

Owner Paul told me that by staying open he might qualify for govt assistance. Rob from Dada said something similar I recall.

The $2 I gave him for this might also help him.

I've had it before, though with a different cover. The main draw was the Daphne Oram tracks. I doubt that I will hang onto it.

Comment

My haul of groceries this morning included some vinyl

$4 for the (I hope) groovy French thing. I see "mambo" and "samba" there on the back.

$8 for the Dieter Reith, which was tucked in amongst the sort of organ records with which we are all too familiar.

Comment

My haul of groceries this morning included some vinyl

$4 for the (I hope) groovy French thing. I see "mambo" and "samba" there on the back.
                And baia and cha-cha. I love those early 60s French comps where you see fierce competition for the new dance crazes.
                I was looking at the Legitimus ep a few weeks ago. It's the sort of thing I'd be perpetually prowling for if I lived in France.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Look on discogs and you will see vol 1 of "Guitar Spectacular". You might also find a Youtube clip of a track that does nothing for me. One of the local websites talks up a track from that Lp (or was it this one?). Look again on discogs and you will see that Lennie was involved in some notable Oz musical projects.

One side of Judy's LP has a few unpleasant looking scratches. The other side looks fine. $4 for a toe in the water. I have only ever seen it for rather more than that.

Comment

Judy's LP has a few unpleasant looking scratches.
                    No clips anywhere that I can find. Getting rarer to not be able to hear something these days. Is it any good? Worth looking out for?
                    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

OK, here's a few from me.

Throbbing Gristle was SOI (shopping under the influence) from Yahoo Auctions, as was Thelonious.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	1053987

Maki Asakawa Blue Spirit Blues from a friend's shop ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5955.jpg Views:	4 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	1053983Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	1053986

... and the others from DU right at the beginning of the month before all the rekkid shops in Osaka shut.

The TG is pretty good, especially as it has no vocals. This Quincy is a bit average, sadly. Jazz Mass a bit too preachy preachy (no, really?) for me, but it's from '68 or '69 and was only 100 yen so I couldn't resist having a punt on it. Thelonious is Thelonious, no surprises there, and Maki Asakawa is great. Never disappoints.

Right, back to the clear-out!
                      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I find myself in temporary accommodation. No access to a record player. That might go on for another month or so. Probably longer. I’ll report back when I get the chance.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

No clips anywhere that I can find. Getting rarer to not be able to hear something these days. Is it any good? Worth looking out for?
                            Having now listened to it I am going to say 'no' and 'no'. Not unless you pay what I paid for it. Or 70's female SSW is your bag.

It's slightly rocky, slightly jazzy. Unmemorable, as far as I am concerned.

Comment

The scratches I complained of don't intrude too much. Free to a good home.

Comment

Working...
                              X