July 2020 Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 2020 Finds

(think this is the first Finds thread I've started)

On the doorstep this morning - well, inside the porch really. Can't say it was a long time 'want' because I never thought I'd ever actually find one, but this goes back to when Peel used to play the track "Kudendere" from it back in the mid/late '80s

It was advertised as VG+/VG+ but looking at it I'd say it's better than that and certainly as good as you'd ever hope a 35 year old African record to be. Haven't played it yet...

Fun Fact: Bought it off a retired professional footballer who played in the winning team in a 1980's FA Cup final

North of the River Cole

Originally posted by RedX View Post

Fun Fact: Bought it off a retired professional footballer who played in the winning team in a 1980's FA Cup final

The July finds thread will be boosted by all of us trying to guess which one!
    I misread it and thought we were looking at the 1980 final. Couldn't imagine any of them being the owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_F...Match_line-ups

(Any mention of West Ham is a sore point with me at the moment).

Comment

This is what he must have been dancing to as he tried to put the penalty taker off!

Damn - If I'm right I've scuppered the chances of a bulging July finds thread even before it started.

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
        It was advertised as VG+/VG+ but looking at it I'd say it's better than that and certainly as good as you'd ever hope a 35 year old African record to be. Haven't played it yet...
        It looks in lovely nick.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

It's in lovely shape and I'm very happy with it. Just been playing it earlier. Had a bit of a strange PVA experience though. Side one took two days to dry and when I came to peel it off half of it was already loose from the record and the other half, when I tried to take it off, went into extremely fine, staticky, hair-like strands and I couldn't get it all off. So I re-glued it and this time it dried in less than 24 hours and peeled off nicely, taking probably 90% of what was left from the first time off too but still leaving some residue on the first track. Will have to try again on that patch at some point. I'm putting it down to the weather. Unseasonably damp one day and warm and sunny the next...

Anyway, here's another one that landed a couple of days ago. Already had this with a different Cry Tuff label - one with a stock Jamaican yellow and white check design - so was happy to find this variant and happier to see the missing red section on the version side - I think that looks really good!

North of the River Cole

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
            (Any mention of West Ham is a sore point with me at the moment).
            You are not alone...

The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Mixed picking in my first week since moving to Scotland, I'll be heading back to my regular haunts in sunny England once every 6 weeks
              or so but considering how most of the charity shops are shut and the car boots are yet to kick off up here it hasn't been such a bad week.
              Scottish law demands that face masks be worn from this week too so I covered up and headed into Arbroath and Forfar.

yeah, yeah, East Fife 5

The Serge connection was enough for me to take a punt on this French EP from 1960

Nice surprise find of the week was this single that I'd not heard of before but looked interesting.

Rarest find was this Xian Folk 7" which originally came free with a Scottish bands privately pressed album in 1978 sadly there was no LP in the box but this is quite lovely.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	11 July 2020 041.JPG Views:	0 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	1054560
                There may be enough unscratched tracks to yield up a winner from this $2 slice of Lou Stein.

Rather more luck on the CD front from there: Stereolab 'Margerine', Libaek 'Inner Space' and Coltrane 'Live at Birdland'.
                Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 11-07-2020, 07:52 AM. Reason: A$50+ for the CD of Inner Space on Discogs!

Comment

Youtube clips of Lou Stein aren't very promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                    Mixed picking in my first week since moving to Scotland, I'll be heading back to my regular haunts in sunny England once every 6 weeks
                    or so but considering how most of the charity shops are shut and the car boots are yet to kick off up here it hasn't been such a bad week.
                    Scottish law demands that face masks be worn from this week too so I covered up and headed into Arbroath and Forfar.

yeah, yeah, East Fife 5

The Serge connection was enough for me to take a punt on this French EP from 1960

Nice surprise find of the week was this single that I'd not heard of before but looked interesting.

Rarest find was this Xian Folk 7" which originally came free with a Scottish bands privately pressed album in 1978 sadly there was no LP in the box but this is quite lovely.

I believe an "oooft" is in order...

You may have moved hundreds of miles north.... but you haven't lost your touch... very nice finds! Welcome to Scotland!

In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post

I believe an "oooft" is in order...

You may have moved hundreds of miles north.... but you haven't lost your touch... very nice finds! Welcome to Scotland!
                      haha, yeah cheers mon!
                      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I went to the flea market today and picked up some stuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	chessu.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1054619
                        I like the Quincy Jones 'Big Band Bash', the Alan Stivell and the Jess & James. Managed to pick up some real stinkers in this lot though...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Sunshine View Post
                          I went to the flea market today and picked up some stuff

I like the Quincy Jones 'Big Band Bash', the Alan Stivell and the Jess & James. Managed to pick up some real stinkers in this lot though...
                          Well that Johnny Rivers looks like 'Whisky A Go Go Revisited' and 'John Lee Hooker' is a top favourite of mine.
                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I have discovered the joys of Scottish auctions this week which has turned up all sorts of things and not just records, I won a couple of boxes of folk albums
                            of varying quality but pretty much all in tip top condition. However, when the kind gentleman from the auction house loaded them into my car told me to make room
                            for the other stuff I'd won which confused me as I assumed I'd only won records but it seems part of the lot included paintings, crockery, mirrors and other stuff I never
                            wanted. So the lesson I have learned is that I have to watch the "additions" to lots I bid for as I was left with a car full of some dead persons belongings that I had to make a trip with straight to the nearest charity shop, apart from a couple of really nice plant pot holders.

I found quite a few Scottish singles in the charity shops (probably no surprises there) but there were some interesting ones (to me) like this pair celebrating
                            the opening of the Tay road bridge in August 1966 turned up among the albums. The blue bags hanging from the railings were full of sweets and crisps (not poo)
                            and are dotted along the bridge, not sure if these have been left to try and dissuade folk from leaping off but it's possible as there are lots of warning signs not to jump.

The legendary rail bridge is in the distance, it was as grey a day as it looks too.

Charity shops and SNP HQ side by side.

A cool minimalist sleeve for a disc by a folk duo released in 1963 and how nice to "come by" a whistling EP by the great Jimmy Shand.

Does it get any more Scottish than these three?

yes it does...
                            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

and how nice to "come by" a whistling EP by the great Jimmy Shand.
                              It doesn't quite work because they are gundogs, not sheepdogs, but I was willing you on and wanted it to work so 7 out of ten because it did raise a smile.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
                              X