August Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Finds

I'm currently on a trip to my old hunting grounds, local car boots & charity shops etc, I've had a few good finds in Scotland including a huge jazz collection but for sheer I-never-know-what-is-gonna-turn-up, Northamptonshire has few equals for surprises, although I rarely stray further than Bucks so I'm kinda biased, but I did find a few nice things at a boot and a shop with the weekend finds to come.

Time was I'd pay little attention to the boxes the records were in but this pretty 60's case was too good to leave for a pound.

Some of the more interesting albums most of which were 50p from the same car boot as the fancy case.

I assumed the 'Featuring CHILDREN' refered to the kids on the front but it was to a composition of his own and sadly not a cover of the Robert Miles tune either.

I've never come across a copy of this scarce album before, the sleeve has wear but the disc is lovely.

A nice minty album of childrens songs released on a Topic imprint, some good witchy (Ritual Games) tunes on side 1.

I find it incredible that an Appalachian folk album released in 1977 to raise money for an obscure American coal mine somehow finds it's way to a field in Northampton!
    It's signed on the rear but I can't make out if it's either of the artists - Rich Kirby or Michael Kline.

The tip shop in town had a lot of fresh albums but I unearthed some interesting globe spanning singles.

Arabian release from 1962 by Saken Qassadi

Square flexi-postcard picture disc from Venice.

Obscure Welsh indie band from 1984.

UK one sided stereo test disc.

12" of the classic Planet Rock complete with Hip Hop sticker.
    The Garden Facebook Blog

I was out for my first chazza trawl in a fair while yesterday. Headed out to the eastern and southern regions of Auckland which have served me well in the past. Did 15 of the buggers and found naff all aside from a great pork and watercress pie in Pukekohe (will shop again).
    But got talking to the people at a few places and they reckon it's because of lockdown. We went hard as hell here for six weeks and pretty much knocked it on it's head. Not only that we've had a drop in our expected death rate - not as many accidents and falls - which I'm told is being felt in lower numbers of deceased estates than usual. COVID-19 gets all one way or another.
    So, FWW, here's me haul after whittling out the failed punts (I had high hopes for the gospel banjo LP, but without vocals it's just banjo).
    Goldfinger is UK press, Gale G LPs always have a decent popcorn track, the OST is Xstian and has a groovy way-wah led instru, and Jungle Jazz is a minty spare. 45s weren't much chop.
    I'll try post more often, but it's a bit lame trying to engage from down here when there's like 12 hour gaps between comments.

Comment

Visited my first Scottish car boot on Sunday, the field slowly filled up but there were some very dodgy looking characters about, so I had to watch my step but
      I found a few albums and just missed getting into a good box first and I was up at 6am. These are some of the folky things, there were more a lot more, at 50p a pop.

Not a Scottish folk album in the same box as the three above shock!! a great sleeve for this one from '73

On Saturday morning I had visited a Northampton boot before I drove to Dundee (bloody hardcore me) and found a few things I liked.

A local rap act 12" from the early 90's released by the Northampton Musicians Collective, inside was a flyer to a local festival, below.

A well loved but playable copy of Stevie's 2nd single from 1962.

I couldn't find anything online about this 10" disc, possibly because typing Marley Vinyl into a search engine throws up quite different results!

I admit I only picked this up for the cheesy sleeve, but listening through it's not that bad either.
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

album finds in recent weeks from a few charity shops and a couple of boots, the sun shines on the early bird

broody

jazzy

soundtracky

poppy

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
          jazzy

This has some bland stuff on it, some good stuff. The best is a track from Dickie Harrell's LP Drums and more drums, which is recommended to all! Fantastic from the sleeve through almost every song.
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Some finds last saturday from a local dealer. The Spectres, The Facts of Life. Garry Blake, Wait Until Dark. The Mad Lads, I want Someone. Chim Kotbari, Sitar N'Spice. The Bullring, Birmingham Brass Band.
            Attached Files
            eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Picked up some unusual BBC records I'd not come across before earlier this week stuffed at the back of a box of Mantovani and James Last albums.
              They all have what sounds like easy listening background music on, they are not muzak as such, more light orchestral instrumentals.
              I guess they were issued to radio stations in the late 60's early 70's? but there is little info on them online to confirm.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Picked up this very nice 45s box recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	45box1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	1054810

Name:	45box2.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	1054811
                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Name:	seymour1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1054813

Name:	seymour2.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	1054814

I was hoping to get these to display side by side but no such luck.
                  Obviously quite a lot of thought went into the sleeve design for Phil Seymour's first album.
                  If only they'd sprung for an inner sleeve to fully explore the theme!
                  They might've had something to rival the first PiL album.

This is quite a good LP, if you like powerpop. I'd never seen it before and found it recently.
                  The first Paul Collins Beat LP would be the apogee of the genre IMO.

Seymour was half of the Dwight Twilley Band (duo) and this LP is better than ​any of the post-split Twilley LPs I've heard.

BTW Phil's second LP "Phil Seymour 2" continued the stripey shirt theme and would fit into the visual pun thread very nicely.
                  Musically it's much weaker however,

Comment

I've had a listen to that LP in a shop, Mileago. I didn't get it!

What an amazing box you found. Could be the best I've ever seen!
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Some finds.
                      Record fairs have started here again.
                      Outdoors fairs are especially common at the moment for obvious reasons.
                      After months of inactivity, the cheapo bins seem to be overflowing.
                      Long may it continue.

Name:	mmeb1.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	1054817

First MMEB on Philips for a fiver.

Name:	pearls.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	1054818

Slightly clapped out Pearls Before Swine for a euro. Complete with library stamps on the cover.
                      A little bit of work will improve its appearance. The vinyl is fine.
                      The Neighborhoods LP behind it came out of the same box but is not worth your time --
                      sub par 80s garage rock from Boston, more commercial than is usual for the genre.

Name:	laylah.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	1054819

Thought I'd scored when I found this Laylah comp but the reason it was in with the cheap stuff was some damage to one side of the vinyl, which plays with noticeable clicks. But its different than my copy. which has the black and red reversed, like a negative. Nice inner too. With Coil, Current 93, Robert Haigh, Nurse WIth Wound, Lustmord, Organum.

Comment

Comment

Couple of nice finds on Saturday from a dealer I know. A demo of the Comedown Song/ Blow Ya Mind 1966 mod/blues by Spider better known as james Barbour who featured on some of Frank Zappa's albums. And a single by Chicago Line , Shimmy, Shimmy Ko Ko Bop. 1966 rock/beat. For some reason the Decca demo by Spider was missing any titles. The Chicago Line 45 has Sample stamped on it which is the first time I have seen this.
                          Attached Files
                          eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                            Picked up some unusual BBC records I'd not come across before earlier this week stuffed at the back of a box of Mantovani and James Last albums.
                            They all have what sounds like easy listening background music on, they are not muzak as such, more light orchestral instrumentals.
                            I guess they were issued to radio stations in the late 60's early 70's? but there is little info on them online to confirm.

From the titles on some of those and your description - test card music?

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1054839

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

From the titles on some of those and your description - test card music?

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1054839
                              I reckon so, I have listened through all and passed them on as they would have just sat, I tend to be more ruthless since packing stuff to move
                              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X