August Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    Couple of nice finds on Saturday from a dealer I know. A demo of the Comedown Song/ Blow Ya Mind 1966 mod/blues by Spider better known as james Barbour who featured on some of Frank Zappa's albums. And a single by Chicago Line , Shimmy, Shimmy Ko Ko Bop. 1966 rock/beat. For some reason the Decca demo by Spider was missing any titles. The Chicago Line 45 has Sample stamped on it which is the first time I have seen this.
    double OOF!
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I visited the charities a bit this week. Brought these with me. Nothing really stands out maybe Martin Circus but have to give it another listen. And I don't know why I keep picking up John William.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	brockiii.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1054844

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
        Picked up some unusual BBC records I'd not come across before earlier this week stuffed at the back of a box of Mantovani and James Last albums.
        They all have what sounds like easy listening background music on, they are not muzak as such, more light orchestral instrumentals.
        I guess they were issued to radio stations in the late 60's early 70's? but there is little info on them online to confirm.

When the BBC's music library in Manchester decided that their Mood/Library vinyl was surplus to requirments, they sent boxes of KPM/DeWolfe albums to the Central Grams Library in London. In amongst them were plenty of these Coded Music Scheme albums, all in the generic green sleeve with typed info sheet attached. Some were just actual Library LPs with CMS labels stuck over the original ones, usually on Amphonic or Cavendish but the majority on Mozart Edition. Others (like some of those pictured) were made in-house and featured a bewildering array of tracks taken from other Library albums (one contains about half of the tracks on "French Pop" on Tele Music), or from commercially released pop albums (another features a few tracks from the Neal Ford & The Fanatics album on Hickory) or from other unknown sources (such as "The Supersisters"' "Sweet Suicide". Unreleased commercially until only a few years ago). Presumably these all fell under the able-to-use-very-cheaply-as-background badge at the time...
        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Benny Hill – What A World A 1965 Dutch picture sleeve featuring a cherubic looking Benny.

Benny Hill – What A World

A couple of eps of rustic monologues from Bernard Miles:

Bernard Miles

Bernard Miles ‎– Over The Gate:

Bernard Miles ‎– Over The Gate

John Cleese With The 1948 Show Choir ‎– The Ferret Song From The 1948 Show

John Cleese With The 1948 Show Choir ‎– The Ferret Song From The 1948 Show

My first charity shop purchase in months. It's good to be back and clearing out their crap for them once again. Claire And Friends ‎– It's 'Orrible Being In Love (When You're 8½)​​​​​​​

Claire And Friends ‎– It's 'Orrible Being In Love (When You're 8½)

Dame Edith Evans ‎– An 18th Century Comedy Album:

Dame Edith Evans ‎– An 18th Century Comedy Album

The "Bawdy but British" veteran runs through some of the songs and routines that made his name as the King (and Queen) of camp. Douglas Byng ‎– Looks Back:

Douglas Byng ‎– Looks Back

Fresh from packed out appearances at the Woolwich Tramshed and the Edinburgh Fringe - It's Fundation. A 1983 EP featuring Joe Griffiths, Terry Morrison, Gareth Hale and Norman Pace.

Fundation ‎– It's Fundation

Harry H. Corbett ‎– The Table And The Chair:

Harry H. Corbett ‎– The Table And The Chair

Stanley Holloway – His Famous Adventures With Old Sam And The Ramsbottoms:

Stanley Holloway – His Famous Adventures With Old Sam And The Ramsbottoms

The locals getting in on the act at the height of Compomania. Holme Silver Band, conducted by David Hirst – Holme Of The Summer Wine:

Holme Of The Summer Wine

And while we are in that general cobbled area, Joe Gladwin (more famous for playing Wally Batty in Last of the Summer Wine) with a bit of help from Dvořák and The London Brass Players – What Have They Done To My Christmas?:

Joe Gladwin - What Have They Done To My Christmas?

Joan Sims – Spring Song / Men Another catchy comic song from those absolute masters, Myles Rudge and Ted Dicks.

Joan Sims – Spring Song

The debut single. 1972, fresh from Scunthorpe, and far from the poodle permed Brut infused splash it all over superstar demigod he would later become. Kevin Keegan – It Ain't Easy​​​​​​​:

Kevin Keegan – It Ain't Easy

Lance Percival – End Of The Season, a cover of The Kinks' track from their 1967 album Something Else by the Kinks:

Lance Percival – End Of The Season

Liverpool variety act The Jacksons – Double Thick Marmalade Butty:

The Jacksons – Double Thick Marmalade Butty

It came with a signed photo tucked in the sleeve, so I'm happy!

The Jacksons

WALLOP!!! Mike Reid – The Ugly Duckling:

Mike Reid – The Ugly Duckling

Some top picture disc action from Morris Minor And The Majors – Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime)​​​​​​​:

Morris Minor And The Majors – Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime)

I think this might be the highlight of today's charity shop hunting. Real Animal Sounds, featuring the most famous animals of desert, veld and jungle.

Real Animal SoundsReal Animal Sounds

Freshly plucked from Dyscworld in Scarborough, Ron Goodwin's soundtrack for Ken Annakin's Monte Carlo or Bust! The heyday of the ensemble cast comedy caper movie.

Monte Carlo or Bust!

Also from Dyscworld, The Romantic World Of Anthony Newley. I'm not sure how Pop Goes The Weasel or Yes! We Have No Bananas qualify as romantic but still for 50p, who am I to argue. Great tash as well.

The Romantic World Of Anthony Newley

The Singing Postman – Fourth Delivery:

The Singing Postman – Fourth Delivery

Sophia Loren & Peter Sellers – Goodness Gracious Me! A Danish EP that goes boom boodee boom boodee boom boodee boom boodee boom boodee boom boodee boom boom boom.

Sophia Loren & Peter Sellers – Goodness Gracious Me!

As made famous on That's Life, Prince The Wonder Dog – Sausages​​​​​​​:

Prince The Wonder Dog – Sausages

Featuring episodes The Bird and The Holiday with snippets from The Diploma and The Economist. I already have other editions of this, but hey you know, different cover and label! Wilfrid Brambell And Harry H. Corbett – Steptoe And Son​​​​​​​:

Wilfrid Brambell And Harry H. Corbett – Steptoe And Son

And what better way to end than this bold and scary statement, Su Pollard – Come To Me (I Am Woman):

Su Pollard – Come To Me (I Am Woman)
          The Downstairs Lounge
          http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
          http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

I'm a little shellshocked.
            https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Su Pollard is smiling, but her eyes look unhappy.

Comment

I found a Coded Music Scheme LP last year, Lord Thames provided a bit of info: "they're essentially a precursor to the BBC Radioplay label, providing non-needletime music to fill up airtime on the Beeb when they couldn't play proper records due to Musician's Union rules - used extensively on Radio 2, BBC local radio and the test card in the 60s and 70s"

I have been meaning to record the best tracks and then send it over to him. Sure he'd be very interested in yours too if you're feeling generous!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Sept 2020 058.JPG Views:	0 Size:	164.7 KB ID:	1054890Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Sept 2020 059.JPG Views:	0 Size:	232.9 KB ID:	1054891Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Sept 2020 061.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	1054892Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Sept 2020 062.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	1054893

Comment

The local chazzers were well stocked today, though not with very much that was to my taste.

The Kriesler comp is all Japanese. Most of the titles look a bit flacid. It was the Tokyo Cuban Boys that were the draw.

I suspect that the Golden Sounds Orchestra is Japanese. They or their namesake have a Discogs entry that has a jazz component. The draw on this is a take on Mambo No.5. If it doesn't deliver I know someone who will want it for the sleeve.

I've mentioned this Eric Jupp a few times here. It is a spare. I am determined to get the key track onto a swap CD this year.

Comment

Any such swap cd will largely comprise groovy dollar bin garnerings. Much of it from this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                        I found a Coded Music Scheme LP last year, Lord Thames provided a bit of info: "they're essentially a precursor to the BBC Radioplay label, providing non-needletime music to fill up airtime on the Beeb when they couldn't play proper records due to Musician's Union rules - used extensively on Radio 2, BBC local radio and the test card in the 60s and 70s"

I have been meaning to record the best tracks and then send it over to him. Sure he'd be very interested in yours too if you're feeling generous!
                        Just a bit, yeah! *waves*

Comment

Originally posted by AlanPee View Post
                          I was out for my first chazza trawl in a fair while yesterday. Headed out to the eastern and southern regions of Auckland which have served me well in the past. Did 15 of the buggers and found naff all aside from a great pork and watercress pie in Pukekohe (will shop again).
                          But got talking to the people at a few places and they reckon it's because of lockdown. We went hard as hell here for six weeks and pretty much knocked it on it's head. Not only that we've had a drop in our expected death rate - not as many accidents and falls - which I'm told is being felt in lower numbers of deceased estates than usual. COVID-19 gets all one way or another.
                          So, FWW, here's me haul after whittling out the failed punts (I had high hopes for the gospel banjo LP, but without vocals it's just banjo).
                          Goldfinger is UK press, Gale G LPs always have a decent popcorn track, the OST is Xstian and has a groovy way-wah led instru, and Jungle Jazz is a minty spare. 45s weren't much chop.
                          I'll try post more often, but it's a bit lame trying to engage from down here when there's like 12 hour gaps between comments.
                          No time to Run is a great little record. (two different covers to it too) nice finds
                          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                            Couple of nice finds on Saturday from a dealer I know. A demo of the Comedown Song/ Blow Ya Mind 1966 mod/blues by Spider better known as james Barbour who featured on some of Frank Zappa's albums. And a single by Chicago Line , Shimmy, Shimmy Ko Ko Bop. 1966 rock/beat. For some reason the Decca demo by Spider was missing any titles. The Chicago Line 45 has Sample stamped on it which is the first time I have seen this.
                            Wow..... and an OOOOOFFFF there for the Spider 45. He went on to lead Chrysalis (a one shot MGM band that is great) SStrange that the single only came out in the Uk. Its a great gem.
                            sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Sept 2020 003.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1054923Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Sept 2020 004.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1054924

There were a couple of cheapies from Dusty Groove in the post today.

Following in Head Gardener's footsteps with TSWCIFTC.

I know "The Morning After" from PATP. Am curious about the rest of it.

Comment

The local record shop (Mudshark in Bangor ) Re opened after lockdown and was lovely to have a rummage. A few usual suspects pulled from the Cheap racks and a long time want at a nice price too

Pretty Things Parachutes (Rare Earth Uni Pack gate fold) At under the going rate I wasn't going to pass on it, a lovely varied Lp that is well worth the hype , just wish some of the songs were longer

Neil Young Harvest (Reprise Uk With all the Trimmings and insert) Wasn't going to Leave it for a quid

Shaky Jake Harris The Devil's Harmonica (Polydor) again a quid punt. Mint records but battered cover. A real mixed bag of styles on it. John Mayall on Production duties and Freddie Robinson on Axe Duties.... Cool Blues with some nice meaty drums
                                sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Working...
                                X