November finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November finds

Click image for larger version  Name:	12 Nov 2020 120.JPG Views:	0 Size:	173.5 KB ID:	1055417 Click image for larger version  Name:	12 Nov 2020 126.JPG Views:	0 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	1055418 Click image for larger version  Name:	12 Nov 2020 127.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	1055419

I was hoping to get some tracks for my swap CD out of Dominick and Ray Price.

Dominick and his crew lumber gracelessly through "Maree's Bossa Nova". Perhaps it would fit in a comedy themed swap. "Vivienne Goes Cruising" is on Youtube if you are curious.

Yes, that is John Sangster on the front there with Ray Price. His bongo skills aren't enough to salvage his 'tune' "Conga Blim Blam Blem". No luck there either.

Nor does Col Nolan's "Colinisation" (yes, he is the pianist) impress. It is an old school jazz group failing to go modern. As with most of the LP.

Some of Olatunji might fit my mix. But it is probably a bit obvious.

Comment

I've picked up some strange odds and ends in the past few weeks, I dunno if it was a karmic payback for dropping a load of albums and singles at my local Shelter
      but I came across a lovely stash of folk and classical albums in a charity shop warehouse just hours afterwards, so I like to think what goes around comes around.

No doubt quite a story behind how these 2 Scottish paper bag and video ad cards turned up inside a South African album sleeve.

I have 4 of these South African albums somewhere but this one goes up to 11 and includes an unusual choice of Lennon cover.

I love discovering unusual Scottish singles I never came across in Northampton.

Another nice find to add to my football vinyl collection.

Best find was a EX+ copy of this Trojan album by Tommy McCook & The Supersonics which has at least half a dozen stunning standout tracks.

A John Hassell private pressing of a meditation record from 1966, it looks unplayed and came with a card insert.

I'd never seen or heard of this odd album from 1975 which is hit + miss but I think the right word is "interesting".

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I remember the Nick Ingram from the old site. Clips I have heard bear out your description.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Nov 2020 006.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	1055453 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Nov 2020 007.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1055454 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Nov 2020 008.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1055455 Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Nov 2020 009.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1055456

Comment

"Reflections" is 70s Oz easy. Would "Bossa Santando" scratch my bossa itch? No. Massed strings give it a static air.

Rumba and Mambo promised on the back of the sleeve to "Dance Parade". Well, perhaps in some formal sense.

The Mrs will appreciate the sleeve to "Lonesome Echo". The vinyl isn't great, though perhaps better than the price tag suggests.

I wouldn't have bought Ben Light if I had known he was from the USA. I have more tolerance for this sort of thing from forgotten Oz try hards.
            Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 15-11-2020, 01:58 PM. Reason: Ben Light

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	16 Nov 2020 001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	189.3 KB ID:	1055459

Almost forgot Lolo and his Brazilian Orchestra.

Syrupy violin overlay and absence of any percussion to speak of relegates this to the realms of supper club latin.

Lalo Schifrin contributes 3 tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post

Dominick and his crew lumber gracelessly through "Maree's Bossa Nova". Perhaps it would fit in a comedy themed swap. "Vivienne Goes Cruising" is on Youtube if you are curious.

Yes - I am curious, but surely that one is a keeper if just for the cover. I want to be on that cruise now.

Comment

I can't see a date, but I suspect that it was some time back. If you like you can have LP as a consolation.

Comment

Here is a taster...

Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 20-11-2020, 11:32 AM. Reason: That is Dominick playing sax in the picture.

Comment

Here is a taster...
                      Sounds like an unknown Yusef Lateef or Paul Horn cut to me!

Very nice indeed.

Comment

I suspect that it was an influence when Dave Brubeck came to write “Take Five”.

Comment

I do like the take on Eilidh on that Four Hebridean Gentleman EP Head Gardener, what hedonism they must have had on the Calmac crossings back in the day. I managed to score both 45s on Premier (plus a mispressing of the other release) from Breeks in Groucho's a few years back as he had been involved putting them out and had a stash in his cupboard. What a gent he was. My better finds this months have been a mint copy of the Peggy O'Keefe LP on Waverley and a decent copy of the 'Waxie's Dargle' LP by Harbour Folk on Polydor. Hoovered up the usual variety of private press 45s as well but nothing that stood out. Although I was very happy to find a Gilded Lil 45 (punk/blues from the late 90s) as it's not the type of music I come across often in chazzas.

Comment

Here is a taster...
                            That is a great track isn't it. Sounds like they all started at different times, and the drummer lost his drums so he used upturned Olive oil cans instead. I think he may have also been reading a newspaper at the time he was supposed to be drumming. Great sound, like it had never happened before and was only just happening in that moment.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Here is a taster...
                              Very nice track. A bit clunky but the inspiration is definitely there.
                              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
                              X